Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

New Car required Diesel Yay or Nay?

I'm in the market for a new car, and coming from a car that requires premium gas, I'm leaning in the opposite direction and considering a car that takes diesel.

I really have no idea what car I'm buying right now, but I'm wondering what y'all think of diesel as a starting point.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
I think you should find a car that works for you first and then worry about fuel type later. I don't know about Ontario, but diesel prices aren't that much cheaper than regular fuel in Montreal, certainly not enough to justify buying a different car over.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron
there aren't a lot of diesel cars available, but if you find something you like, and is offered in a diesel, it can be nice...diesel engines have much more torque, so they generally offer a much more rewarding driving experience (get up and go, without having to rev the piss out of the engine)...regular cars offered now would be most of VWs line-up (Golf, Jetta, Passat and i think the Beetle as well) and Chevrolet has recently launched their Cruze Diesel which is also quite decent...rumours have more diesels coming with Mazda launching one likely next year...Ford and Hyundai/Kia also have some great diesel products, but don't currently offer them in North America (whether that will change in the future, i'm not sure)...if you are looking upscale, Mercedes and Audi offer some diesel models as well...BMW did too, but not sure if they still do (the 335d wasn't a big seller).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Guspaz
There is a couple more things to consider when looking at diesel vs. gasoline.

1. ) Fuel economy, while the price of diesel is similar to gasoline; your diesel will run longer on a tank which means fewer fillups.
2. ) DEF - Diesel emissions fluid is an added cost to all modern diesels, you can refil yourself if you are handy.
3. ) Resale value and longevity, my old work truck was a diesel sprinter with 395'000 when i had to return it; it still ran amazing.
4. ) Oil changes, as diesel is self lubricating the oil change intervals are massive compared to a gasoline car.
5. Loyalty programs often consider diesel to be equal to 93 for points earnings.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Hm

@videotron.ca
reply to El Quintron
In regards to the VW line. Don't go Jetta. Thoroughly checked this one out and the consensus is that it's plagued with electrical issues. Has been for years and still not fully addressed. Unless of course if it's the type of thing you plan to trade in within 5 years, still under warranty, and then get a new one again. If this is your type (which is just like my wife who never keeps a car more than 4 years) then go for it. But it's also gutless. You will swear every time you have a little hill to go over.

I haven't heard of the electrical problems with the golf or passat, but I haven't really looked into it all that much. But if that's within your price range, check them out.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Hm :

In regards to the VW line. Don't go Jetta. Thoroughly checked this one out and the consensus is that it's plagued with electrical issues. Has been for years and still not fully addressed. Unless of course if it's the type of thing you plan to trade in within 5 years, still under warranty, and then get a new one again. If this is your type (which is just like my wife who never keeps a car more than 4 years) then go for it. But it's also gutless. You will swear every time you have a little hill to go over.

I haven't heard of the electrical problems with the golf or passat, but I haven't really looked into it all that much. But if that's within your price range, check them out.

I have an 06 jetta 2.0T (MKV) that takes 94 octane and can confirm some issues but not electrical. One thing most people don't realize about these cars is the cam followers and the need to constantly maintain these cars. Other than a few minute issues with the car, the VW line even the jetta is a solid car, and though mine is modified it drives like mad and great on fuel even at 94 octane.

edit: I should say when i state "constantly maintain" it doesn't mean in the shop every week. Just can't let it sit around and be lazy and say i'll take it next month. They require maintenance and all VW's are known to chew oil

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

I don't know about Ontario, but diesel prices aren't that much cheaper than regular fuel in Montreal, certainly not enough to justify buying a different car over.

Even if diesel cost more per liter you'd still win out, because you get much higher mileage from a liter of diesel than you do from a liter of gas.

For the record, I don't have a choice in getting car ATM, the one I was using got written off, and my family/obligations require two cars, the written off car did take premium gas, and the first thing I'm doing this time around is getting a car that doesn't require it.

EQ
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to I_H8_Spam
said by I_H8_Spam:
There is a couple more things to consider when looking at diesel vs. gasoline.

2. ) DEF - Diesel emissions fluid is an added cost to all modern diesels, you can refil yourself if you are handy.

most new smaller cars don't require the additive...it is usually only required on the larger vehicles.

for example, the additive isn't required in the VW Golf, Jetta or (maybe) Passat, but is required in the larger Toureg (and possibly the Passat, not sure about that one).

the additive is required on all Mercedes diesels, but they are all larger and heavier vehicles...as well, the slight extra cost for the additive isn't a big deal on a much more expensive car, and the extra cost for additive is simply money you aren't having to spend on "Premium" gas anyway, so it is likely a wash.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

I'm in the market for a new car, and coming from a car that requires premium gas, I'm leaning in the opposite direction and considering a car that takes diesel.

I really have no idea what car I'm buying right now, but I'm wondering what y'all think of diesel as a starting point.

Join me and buy a Tesla. Maybe we can get a 'group buy' going and save some money.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to El Quintron
Older guy I know recently bought a golf tdi, claims to get over 1000km/tank.
You cannot get that mileage with reg fuel engine. I can get (tops) ~500km on a tank with my civic when mostly highway driving.
--
~ Project Hope ~

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

For the record, I don't have a choice in getting car ATM, the one I was using got written off, and my family/obligations require two cars, the written off car did take premium gas, and the first thing I'm doing this time around is getting a car that doesn't require it.

EQ

i am not 100% certain, as i haven't been watching the price of diesel (i don't have a diesel car), but from what i have heard recently, diesel is about 10c/liter cheaper than gas right now...Premium gas is usually 12-15c/liter more than regular gas...so not only is diesel about 25c/liter cheaper than Premium grade gas, you get more kms out of a tank because of its increased efficiency (higher energy output).

my parents have a Jetta TDi Wagon...the oil changes are more money ($105 at the dealership, including topping up other fluids and inspections, tire rotation, etc), but it only needs to be done every 20,000kms (they use a special synthetic blend)...so, most regular cars have to be done about every 5-8,000 kms at $40/each, so the REAL cost isn't really that bad...people often go "$100 oil changes, OUCH!", without realizing they aren't needed nearly as often.
--

- George Orwell

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Join me and buy a Tesla. Maybe we can get a 'group buy' going and save some money.

Good news for you! There's a deal on one for sale on Crown Assets right now: »www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=···erm-clos

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to El Quintron
I'd start by figuring out (quickly, from the sounds of things) what you want/need in a vehicle...

Once that list is together; if it's available in a diesel, even better.

There's a very small list of cars available in diesel in Canada (The VW's, certain MB's, and a Chev Cruze) - also a few trucks, but typically 3/4t and larger, only.

What do you need in a set of wheels? What do you WANT (different than needs) and what's your budget?

My Dad's been rolling in Diesel VW's for years; a golf that he retired at 600,000k - a Jetta that lost to a deer at 300,000, and a '13 Jetta TDI now. Mileage is great, maintenance is fine; as long as you keep up on it - things like timing belts need to be done at the recommend intervals, or it gets expensive fast.

I'd have loved to get a diesel in my last truck, but I couldn't justify a 3/4t or 1t - and no one offers a 1/2t with a diesel (yet - although rumours of both Dodge and Ford launching them 'soon' have been swirling)

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to El Quintron
it's a little old now (2 years ago), but here was a "First Drive" of the Passat TDi was relaunched:

»www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-···t/?all=1

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

Older guy I know recently bought a golf tdi, claims to get over 1000km/tank.
You cannot get that mileage with reg fuel engine. I can get (tops) ~500km on a tank with my civic when mostly highway driving.

My Dad drives a '13 Jetta TDI - and 1000k out of a tank is pretty standard for him, as well.

His previous car (also a Jetta TDI) was identical to my mom's Jetta (except hers is a gasser) - and he routinely got 2-300 k more out of a tank then she did.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
reply to IamGimli
First class waste of taxpayers money right there.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
reply to LazMan
Better torque, better mileage, longer lasting engine, yep, next car for me will be a diesel.
--
~ Project Hope ~

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
reply to El Quintron
Wow!

This is excellent stuff to chew on for non-car people like me.
--

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

Really!? My '99 Civic Si (45-ish litre tank) regularly got 600-700km per tank.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

1 edit
Wow, I can't get close to that.
'08 civic, reg fuel, 90% highway driving @ 109km/h, no passengers, and I can maybe 7.5l/100km
--
~ Project Hope ~

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Ya, God forbid they'd test cars to make sure they comply with the mandatory safety standards before allowing them to be sold in Canada and validated new standards to make sure they're capable of being met...

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
reply to El Quintron
If you decide on diesel, buy gloves for fill ups.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
That smell sticks to you even after 5 attempts to wash your hands. Absolutely gross

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to El Quintron
Written off due to flooding?

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

I just use a piece of paper towel to prevent direct skin contact with the diesel filler nozzel. Then use the same to wipe any drops which splashed around the filler neck area.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to IamGimli
said by IamGimli:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Ya, God forbid they'd test cars to make sure they comply with the mandatory safety standards before allowing them to be sold in Canada and validated new standards to make sure they're capable of being met...

Lease it, make the manufactures provide a loaner car, if they want to sell it up here make them foot the bill. I don't see a scratch on it, rather hard to test the safety features with out smashing up the car.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Written off due to flooding?

Collision.
--

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I'd have loved to get a diesel in my last truck, but I couldn't justify a 3/4t or 1t - and no one offers a 1/2t with a diesel (yet - although rumours of both Dodge and Ford launching them 'soon' have been swirling)

Dodge will have the Ram 1500 with a 3.0L V6 diesel. It's confirmed, the same engine is in the Grand Cherokee as well.
--

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

i haven't heard of that, and if anyone would complain about it, it would be my parents.

when i was younger, i worked at several gas stations and don't recall any issues with it then either...if you get gasoline on your hands, it stinks too.
--

- George Orwell

LazMan
Premium
canada
reply to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Dodge will have the Ram 1500 with a 3.0L V6 diesel. It's confirmed, the same engine is in the Grand Cherokee as well.

Ford was supposed to release an F150 with the 4.4l straight 6 diesel they use in Europe in the 2012 model year... And then it just disappeared.

If Dodge does it, that's awesome (although too bad it's a Dodge...) - but until I see one on the showroom floor, I'll be skeptical.