Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: New Car required Diesel Yay or Nay?

said by Guspaz:

I don't know about Ontario, but diesel prices aren't that much cheaper than regular fuel in Montreal, certainly not enough to justify buying a different car over.

Even if diesel cost more per liter you'd still win out, because you get much higher mileage from a liter of diesel than you do from a liter of gas.

For the record, I don't have a choice in getting car ATM, the one I was using got written off, and my family/obligations require two cars, the written off car did take premium gas, and the first thing I'm doing this time around is getting a car that doesn't require it.

EQ

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

For the record, I don't have a choice in getting car ATM, the one I was using got written off, and my family/obligations require two cars, the written off car did take premium gas, and the first thing I'm doing this time around is getting a car that doesn't require it.

EQ

i am not 100% certain, as i haven't been watching the price of diesel (i don't have a diesel car), but from what i have heard recently, diesel is about 10c/liter cheaper than gas right now...Premium gas is usually 12-15c/liter more than regular gas...so not only is diesel about 25c/liter cheaper than Premium grade gas, you get more kms out of a tank because of its increased efficiency (higher energy output).

my parents have a Jetta TDi Wagon...the oil changes are more money ($105 at the dealership, including topping up other fluids and inspections, tire rotation, etc), but it only needs to be done every 20,000kms (they use a special synthetic blend)...so, most regular cars have to be done about every 5-8,000 kms at $40/each, so the REAL cost isn't really that bad...people often go "$100 oil changes, OUCH!", without realizing they aren't needed nearly as often.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
I'd start by figuring out (quickly, from the sounds of things) what you want/need in a vehicle...

Once that list is together; if it's available in a diesel, even better.

There's a very small list of cars available in diesel in Canada (The VW's, certain MB's, and a Chev Cruze) - also a few trucks, but typically 3/4t and larger, only.

What do you need in a set of wheels? What do you WANT (different than needs) and what's your budget?

My Dad's been rolling in Diesel VW's for years; a golf that he retired at 600,000k - a Jetta that lost to a deer at 300,000, and a '13 Jetta TDI now. Mileage is great, maintenance is fine; as long as you keep up on it - things like timing belts need to be done at the recommend intervals, or it gets expensive fast.

I'd have loved to get a diesel in my last truck, but I couldn't justify a 3/4t or 1t - and no one offers a 1/2t with a diesel (yet - although rumours of both Dodge and Ford launching them 'soon' have been swirling)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Written off due to flooding?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Written off due to flooding?

Collision.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

I'd have loved to get a diesel in my last truck, but I couldn't justify a 3/4t or 1t - and no one offers a 1/2t with a diesel (yet - although rumours of both Dodge and Ford launching them 'soon' have been swirling)

Dodge will have the Ram 1500 with a 3.0L V6 diesel. It's confirmed, the same engine is in the Grand Cherokee as well.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Dodge will have the Ram 1500 with a 3.0L V6 diesel. It's confirmed, the same engine is in the Grand Cherokee as well.

Ford was supposed to release an F150 with the 4.4l straight 6 diesel they use in Europe in the 2012 model year... And then it just disappeared.

If Dodge does it, that's awesome (although too bad it's a Dodge...) - but until I see one on the showroom floor, I'll be skeptical.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

technically, it's "RAM"...they dropped the "Dodge" name in their truck line so people don't associate their trucks with minivans and Darts.

and while i agree about your hesitance to Chrysler products, their latest trucks have been doing quite well in reviews.