how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tracktech

join:2012-11-30
Orlando, FL

6 Tuners with cablecard & tuning adapter

I'm looking at upgrading my Tivo S3 to one of the new Roamio units with six tuners.

The Brighthouse site indicates the tuning adapter only supports 4 tuners, but I've seen elsewhere that Cisco has an firmware update that supports 6 tuners. Is the 4 tuner limit correct? What about the cablecard? Will an single M card support the 6 streams? I'm in Orlando, if that matters.

Also, I'd be swapping out my 2 single stream cablecards for a single M card, is that something I can walk into a customer center and do? (I know I'll need to call in to pair the card once installed).

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
Click for full size

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to tracktech
You should be okay....I want to know if you have any problems and your feedback on the new unit.

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to tracktech
tracktech, please post a review of your new tivo Roamio unit once you have used it a bit. I was thinking of switching to the tivos to take advantage of their great programming guide. Would like to hear how the new model compares to the BH DVR and guide.

Thanks!

tdar

join:2004-04-05
Satellite Beach, FL
kudos:1
reply to tracktech
said by tracktech:

I'm looking at upgrading my Tivo S3 to one of the new Roamio units with six tuners.

The Brighthouse site indicates the tuning adapter only supports 4 tuners, but I've seen elsewhere that Cisco has an firmware update that supports 6 tuners. Is the 4 tuner limit correct? What about the cablecard? Will an single M card support the 6 streams? I'm in Orlando, if that matters.

Also, I'd be swapping out my 2 single stream cablecards for a single M card, is that something I can walk into a customer center and do? (I know I'll need to call in to pair the card once installed).

No Problem. I use a 6 tuner Ceton tuner on my Media Center. One m Card and one Tuning adapter will do. Customer Centers do have M cards.

simba1994

join:2002-02-10
Largo, FL
reply to tracktech
-- deleted --

RickM

join:2010-10-06
Winter Springs, FL
reply to tracktech
can someone that got the 6 tuner Roamio confirm that it will definitely work with the Bright House Central Florida cable cards. I want to make sure before I buy one

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tracktech
Whether you are in CFL or Bakersfield the experience will be the same...the CC's all work the same

StPeteDave

join:2013-02-17
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to RickM
I'm in St Pete. Using a single M card on the Roamio and enjoying six glorious tuners of simultaneous goodness. Go for it, you won't regret the purchase. Tivo finally has made a DVR that matters after almost 10 years of mediocrity.

opp

@bhn.net
said by StPeteDave:

I'm in St Pete. Using a single M card on the Roamio and enjoying six glorious tuners of simultaneous goodness. Go for it, you won't regret the purchase. Tivo finally has made a DVR that matters after almost 10 years of mediocrity.

Can you get 6 SDV channels at once?

StPeteDave

Saint Petersburg, FL
said by opp :

said by StPeteDave:

Can you get 6 SDV channels at once?

Yep, no issues.

wbrightfl7

join:2004-07-15
Orlando, FL
reply to StPeteDave
Hi Dave. Can you give us a review comparing the features and programming guide of the new TIVO Roamio vs. the Bright House DVR and guide? Pros and cons? Is it worth it to switch to a TIVO Roamio?

Thanks,
Wes

StPeteDave

Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

said by wbrightfl7:

Hi Dave. Can you give us a review comparing the features and programming guide of the new TIVO Roamio vs. the Bright House DVR and guide? Pros and cons? Is it worth it to switch to a TIVO Roamio?

Thanks,
Wes

Actually, I've been putting off writing a full review (will still do that). But, to specifically address your question, here's a quick overview:

Pros:
6 tuners
Ability to use Tivo Mini in other rooms of the house to share the DVR (without additional DVR/cable box fees)
Fantastic integration with popular services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon, MLB, etc (it really is now my single settop box)
Ability to offload recorded content (subject to content owner restrictions) to an iPhone or iPad to view offline (on a plane, etc)
Future ability to live stream Tivo content outside the home (coming this fall)
Better search functionality than Brighthouse DVRs
More information about shows, actors, etc

Cons:
Tivo service fees ($15 ish per month and $5 per Tivo Mini)
Cable Cards (flaky to get setup, but once working, they're fine)
No access to on-demand features from Brighthouse

Hope this helps.

xlokix

join:2013-07-20
Tampa, FL
reply to tracktech
On the subject of 6 tuners I have a hdhomerun prime and thinking about adding another. I know I will need a second cable card, but will I need a second tuning adapter also? Not really a big deal, but im running low on space on my surge protectors.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to tracktech
LOL on the surge protector thing Yes you would need another I blv...

PowerMatt

join:2003-01-09
Ocala, FL
reply to xlokix
If it's six tuners in a single device, then only one TA. Two devices will need two TAs.