share rss forum feed

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west
Reviews:
·Comcast

Infro for a motherboard and cpu for wactch on tv

I need to know what would be the requirement for a mother board and cpu. I might want to get nfl Sunday ticket for pc and maybe play World of Warcraft. Newegg has AMD cpu and motherboard combo's for around $175. I never had used AMD before. What would be the recommendations for cheap setup for this?
--
Caddy

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

Just build a decent computer, and stop trying to be so cheap. AMD is the low end, and not recommended for real gaming builds. At least go with an i3 3220 ivy bridge, 8GB as memory is cheap, and you'll need a somewhat decent video card for gaming unless you like playing games on their lowest settings, if the run well at all with a onboard gpu. The haswell processors start at i5.

The low end haswell i5 onboard gpu might be enough for wow on low/medium however I don't personally know, and is more than fine for watching video. You could always add a gaming card afterwards.

With how the amd boards onboard gpu wildly varies I'll just say they might perform ok enough to use low settings on wow, but your processor might be the bottleneck now or in the very near future.

Don't buy a budget processor for less than around $130 if you want the system to last especially for gaming. A real quad core, not an amd quad core which basically has two cores for every one intel core is recommended for gaming builds, however the i3 3220 will work for now. I'd consider the i3 something I'd put in an office machine.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

The only time games will be played is about 2 weeks out of the year and that will not every day. The only other time is when nfl Sunday ticket is available. That what I am wanting cheap.
--
Caddy

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Well it doesn't matter how often you would play them, if you have a crappy gpu it's going to suck. Anything like 25m raids will bog down crappy gpus when even on the lowest settings.

If you want to ignore gaming just about any current cpu will be fine, and onboard gpu should be fine to watch video. There's a reason gaming systems are more powerful.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

I'll probably just forget about the gaming part. I do not play games but my grandson does. My grandson can play on the computer that all ready setup for it.
--
Caddy

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

Then just get a budget laptop you can take with you so it's not tied down to one room.

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west

I am going to connect it to my tv with HDMI
--
Caddy

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

You never go anywhere? Compare the costs, and you'll find the budget laptops are discounted quite a bit just like the budget package systems. It's actually cheaper to buy a budget package system than build one yourself at retail prices.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to Caddyroger

WoW is hardly going to be a challenge even for a several year old system.

I'd say go with a Athlon X4 750K (85$) and a cheap motherboard, and you'd be fine.

The OP wasn't asking for advice on building a high-powered rig.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

asdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
reply to Caddyroger

What specific amd combo are you looking at?

An a8 or a10 apu should be adequate for WoW with the latest expansions. An a6 would probably squeeze by but I would prefer the a8 or 10.

For video/nfl sunday, I think any of the amd apu chips or the intel integrated should be ok, even the sandy or ivy bridge pentiums.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Ian

said by Ian:

WoW is hardly going to be a challenge even for a several year old system.

I'd say go with a Athlon X4 750K (85$) and a cheap motherboard, and you'd be fine.

The OP wasn't asking for advice on building a high-powered rig.

I agree with this advice. Get the X4 750K, whatever mobo fits your budget, and any decent, modern low-end GPU (Radeon 7770 or 7790) and you'll be fine.

I would skip the APU as the integrated GPU part will be wasted with a discrete GPU.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

That would definitely run well. I play WoW occasionally on my APU system, using the integrated graphics, and it runs decently at 1920x1080, medium settings. Raids stress it a bit, but everything below that is fine. A discrete card would help it that much more.
--
KI6RIT

Caddyroger
Premium
To the west
reply to Caddyroger

Ok would this work for showing live sports events like NFL Sunday Ticket no games. I found my gigabyte mother board with a 775 cpu and believe the speed is around 2.8. It has 8 gig of 1066 ddr memory.
--
Caddy

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

That should work. Is it using onboard video or a video card, and if the latter, which one?
--
KI6RIT

asdfdfdfdf

@myvzw.com
reply to Caddyroger

"I found my gigabyte mother board with a 775 cpu and believe the speed is around 2.8. It has 8 gig of 1066 ddr memory.
--"

With a setup like that you are probably going to want a graphics card, rather than relying on the integrated graphics but it is worth a try. You may be satisfied.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
reply to Caddyroger

A core 2 board? Really? I hope you realize that's already completely outdated. The money you think you're saving you will show itself in lack of cpu if it has to decode anything hd with the lack of a decent gpu, if it would have supported gpu acceleration in the first place.

Either don't buy it now, and save your money, otherwise you need to start with an intel 1155 or 1150 socket.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Caddyroger

I just did a build on the cheap with used parts and it is better than his for half the money, granted, I had a few things and most parts are used.

I suppose the OP doesn't understand the technichalities of a build so he's vulnerable to getting ripped off.

Honestly, were I him, I'd go to Tiger Direct and order one of their combo kits for 300 or so, he'd get a relatively more up to date build and more for his money, BIL has been doing that very thing for over 10 years now.

For example:

»www.tigerdirect.com/applications···atId=332
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI

My AMD APU A6 Quad Core A6-3620, runs Need for Speed World at 1600x900 perfectly fine, Secondlife, Battlefield 3, use it every day for all my gaming needs. Op probably would be fine with an AMD A6 or A8 or 10 depending on budget and needs