how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rockinrotho

join:2013-08-15
N5V0A7

[Cable] I can't stay quiet any longer....I need to vent

I have been a Teksavvy customer for a while now, recently i have upgraded to the 150/10 pkg, noticed i wasn't getting anywhere near the download speeds that was offered, upload yes, well i contacted customer service....they had me run through this big list of things i had to do and report back, i think so they could tell me where the issues are....well it seems mine was not the only issue, and frankly i am a bit miffed at being told nothing wrong must be your equipment. Well its not, and wasn't ...now last night was better about 30 down 9 up...why can't i get what i am paying for?, and why can't anyone give me a straight answer.....For crying out load its 150/10 i know sometimes its slower etc, but not they way its been....i left rogers cause of the bull.....but come on guys...do a bit of fence mending here with your subscribers...we have been loyal and yet....are not being treated as such.... and the problem was on Teksavvys end...

Here is a list of what they wanted me to do, and the problem was on Teksavvys end...

In an effort to get the issue resolved, can you please complete some troubleshooting with us?

Please note we need this information gathered and testing done while your service is experiencing difficulties. If your issue is an intermittent one, please complete this during a time when there is an issue with the service.

If you are not comfortable completing these steps, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 1-877-357-2889. Our technical support agents would be happy to walk you through this over the phone.

• Please hook your computer up directly to the modem with an Ethernet cord, effectively bypassing any routers or other equipment
• Unplug power to the modem for at least three minutes, and then plug it back in
• Navigate to the webpage: www.speedtest.net and click on “Begin Test”

Please record your results:
• Ping:
• Download:
• Upload:

Second speed test: We also require speed test results from a secondary test. Please navigate to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and select a city closest to you from the "Choose A Location" area. Please record the results:
• Download:
• Upload:

If this resolves your speed problem, it is likely that the router was the cause, or another computer on your network was using bandwidth. The internet appears to be working properly. However, if your speeds are still slow, please continue troubleshooting.

The next thing we need is your IP Address information. This can be obtained from:
Windows: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > “ipconfig /all”
MAC: Apple Button > System Preferences > Network > Ethernet

Please include as much of the following as you have available:
• Physical Address -
• Dhcp Enabled -
• Autoconfiguration Enabled -
• IP Address -
• Subnet Mask-
• Default Gateway (called “Router” on MAC)-
• DHCP Server -
• DNS Servers -
• Primary -
• Secondary -
• Lease Obtained-
• Lease Expires -

We will need the power levels from your modem. To get them, please follow these instructions:
• Hook a computer directly to the modem with an Ethernet cord, bypassing any routers or other devices
• Open a web browser on the computer and enter 192.168.100.1 in the address bar and hit enter
• Click on “Diagnostics” or “Signal”
• Please copy and paste all text on this screen, we cannot use a "screen shot" as our system will not allow attachments.

For your information, ideal power levels are as follows:
• Downstream/Forward Path Power Level: -11 to +11dbmv
• Upstream/Return Path Power Level: 35 to 52dbmv
• SNR/Signal to Noise Ratio: above 32db

• Are your DNS servers set to obtain automatically?
Windows: this is found in Network Connections, by right clicking on Local Area Network and selecting "properties". Then, select IPv4 and click Properties.
MAC: Apple button > System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > Advanced > DNS
• Factory reset the modem?

Thomson/RCA: Hold pinhole reset button for 10 seconds.
Motorola: In the modem page at 192.168.100.1, Click on “Diagnostics”, then click “Reset All Defaults”, ;; followed by “Restart Cable Modem”
• Disable your firewall?
• Windows: restart in safe mode?
• Try another computer?

The following steps will involve ping and trace route tests.

How to Ping (50 times) and Trace Route:
(replace "google.ca" with the desired target)
Windows: Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
Type: ping google.ca -n 50 (press enter)
Type: tracert google.ca (press enter)
MAC: Go > Utilities > Network Utility
Ping tab > Enter google.ca > Set ping number to 50 > Click "Ping"
Trace Route tab > Enter google.ca > Click "Trace"

• Ping google.ca 50 times - Please paste results
• Ping voip.teksavvy.com 50 times - Please paste results
• Trace Route to google.ca - Please paste results
• Trace Route to voip.teksavvy.com - Please paste results

That wraps up the troubleshooting on your end. We will need to ping your computer from our side, so we ask that you leave the computer directly connected to the modem with any firewalls disabled.

In the event that we need to send a technician, we will need a non-VOIP phone number that the technician can call when they are on their way to your home, and we will have to select a time of day that works best for you. Please note that the local provider cannot send a technician tomorrow, or on Sundays/most Holidays.

• Your (non-VOIP) contact number:
• Hours: 8:00am to 11:00am – or – 11:00am to 2:00pm – or – 2:00pm to 5:00pm – or – 5:00pm to 8:00pm

Please keep your router bypassed, if applicable, until the issue is completely resolved.

Please note that the local cable provider owns the “last mile” of the network in your neighborhood, so a dispatched technician will be from that company, and not TekSavvy. They may also call you directly to discuss the appointment.

Thanks for choosing TekSavvy and please don't hesitate to email us back or give us a call at the number below if you have any further questions!

sakraycore

join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON
Does look to be a painful and long troubleshooting process. That's why I haven't bothered with direct support thus far.

Actually, I guess I may have done it one time via the phone it was just aggravating.

elitedev

join:2013-05-05
Chatham, ON
reply to Rockinrotho
What is the point of all this? You do know that they cannot just guess what your problem is, that's why they require some troubleshooting. I bet the majority of slow speeds issues with the 150/10 is customers equipment. I know tons of people still using old routers that don't have gigabit ports, not to mention all the computers without gigabit ethernet.

tek121212

join:2013-07-27
They made me go through the same thing. Annoyingly they didn't bother reading the messages correctly half the time.
Funny, my equipment would only slow down at peak times... weird

elitedev

Chatham, ON
They don't need to only rule out your equipment, they also need to rule out their equipment too! It's not only about you

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Rockinrotho
It is a stupid situation, to be sure.. For a slow speed complaint, they should be first asking if it is during peak hours or all day, and then pointing people to this:
»[Cable] Slow speeds on rCable

And maybe this in particular (which is the straightest answer you are going to find):
»Re: [Cable] Slow speeds on rCable

That said, once a customer decides that isn't good enough, and wants to open a formal ticket... I do think the process you copied and pasted could be streamlined a bit, but, well, see other answers.
--
electronicsguru.ca

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
And why use speakeasy for speedtests anyways its not a local network test.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to tek121212
said by tek121212:

They made me go through the same thing. Annoyingly they didn't bother reading the messages correctly half the time.
Funny, my equipment would only slow down at peak times... weird

That should be the first question to ask... If there are no speed issues during mornign or daytime hours, there's no point in wasting time with router/cable/direct connection troubleshooting.
--

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to Rockinrotho
I agree with Teddy here where our agents should be advising our customers of outages before doing this stuff however it all comes down to the timeline. I say this because in fact this issue existed for nearly a week and we were trying to get rogers to pin point it but it wasn't until recently (Wolfdale Migration) where it was a confirmed issue as Rogers found it. Unless the issue is confirmed, we need to follow protocol.

Now, you may say the protocal is long, pointless or whatever however to be quite honest with you, we have 0 visibility into anyone's Cable service so it is up to us to rule out as much as possible before a ticket is opened. This is especially important when there are crazy delays going on from our vendors.

Can the troubleshooting steps be shortened, I am sure. The reality is that there are specifics that Rogers wants for specific ticket types and we try to also include things they will ask for as an objection to a ticket so we have as much up front as possible.

I am sure this situation could of been handled better but we are human and mistakes are made. The outages aren't helping us any. I will make the suggestion to the Peak time question suggest by a few on this thread.

For the Original Poster, I am really sorry about your experience. If you could post in the Direct Forum, I would like to make sure everything is now in order for you.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

Rockinrotho

N5V0A7
This is what I am getting right now, is this what I can expect on 150/10?

audiofool

join:2000-11-22
London Ont
kudos:1
What are you getting now?

coolspot18

join:2012-10-23
reply to Rockinrotho
They should write some sort of tool to gather all the stats in one shot... would save a lot of headaches and trouble for users.

Rockinrotho

N5V0A7
reply to audiofool
30/10

elitedev

Chatham, ON
And which router are you using? Not all routers will route 150mbps. I see this all the time, I know there are current network issues, but I agree that the troubleshooting is completely necessary to get you an accurate diagnosis. Just asking someone if this only happens during peak time is a weak question anyways, most customers are only home during peak hours and wouldn't know otherwise.

Rockinrotho

N5V0A7
apple the airport extreme the new one....

Rockinrotho

N5V0A7
reply to elitedev

10s of 40 byte packets, 2 per second 0% 36.5ms 39.0ms 44.6ms
pass
low bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 56 kbit 0% 37.2ms 40.1ms 52.6ms
pass
medium bandwidth stream
10s of 512 byte packets at 128 kbit 0% 35.8ms 40.3ms 56.6ms
pass
higher bandwidth stream
10s of 1400 byte packets at 384 kbit 0% 37.7ms 45.8ms 89.6ms
pass
your first hop ping

jibby

join:2008-03-31
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Rockinrotho
what's even more fun is when Rogers closes your ticket with 'we see the modem online'

and then you have to callback, and go through all those steps again because they won't paste it from the previous ticket

and then wait for Rogers to do nothing and close the ticket again

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by jibby:

what's even more fun is when Rogers closes your ticket with 'we see the modem online'

and then you have to callback, and go through all those steps again because they won't paste it from the previous ticket

and then wait for Rogers to do nothing and close the ticket again

Yep. Quoted for frakking truth. I waited two god damn weeks with intermittent connection issues with bad signaling, and I need a tech to fix it. They responded to Teksavvy with "we see the modem has been online for a few days, tell the customer to check their connection" LOL

Ticket closed. LOL, Waiting again. I'm a patient person, but this is getting ridiculous. I feel the OP's pain so much.

jibby

join:2008-03-31
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Yeah i dunno if its a directive from Rogers management, or just really really lazy people responding to these tickets, but a lot of the time the responses i got had nothing to do with the actual problem or were just closed when they saw the modem online.

Not sure if the attitude at Rogers wholesale is 'all we care about is if the modem is online' or whether it's just an easy excuse to close tickets to get some guys daily ticket quota up or something like that

but there were definitely a few times where it was 100% clear that they didn't even read the ticket and just checked that the modem was online and closed it.

sakraycore

join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON
reply to Rockinrotho
When I had my speed upgrade ordered, it took like 2 weeks to process. Apparently Rogers just forgot to do it. Support had me do these diagnostics which I dunno why cuz it has nothing to do with a profile change...it was then that I learned of the best-case 48 hour wait time. That's just for Rogers to respond back.... and no guarantee of anything. Even if you try to escalate it I don't think it does anything.

Well what can I say except that I feel your pain OP.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to Rockinrotho
Reason #1 to get internet in Canada: To post from alternate ISP about current ISP's slowness.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
said by rodjames:

Reason #1 to get internet in Canada: To post from alternate ISP about current ISP's slowness.

[wipes coffee off flat panel]

Post of the day, but it's still early.

Mike
--
I've picked on Cogeco long enough. Who's next? Any volunteers?

moozh84

join:2008-06-01
reply to Rockinrotho
I think to be fair most of those steps aren't actually troubleshooting your equipment. Most of that information is used to help Teksavvy troubleshoot problems on THEIR end.

For example, when you give them your IP address and your tracert results, they now know through which servers and hardware your packets are being routed through, so they can identify a weak link in the chain (on THEIR end).

Also, giving them information about the signal power strength and signal-to-noise ratios could be indicative of a problem with your wiring but it could ALSO be indicative of a problem with external wiring on THEIR network.

The alternative is for them to put in a work order to send a Rogers technician to your house to connect to the demarcation box outside your house and run some tests from there. That would take many days before they show up. And I think Rogers charges you a fee for those visits if it turns out it was an internal problem with your house instead of a problem on their end. That's a lot of hassle when you could just take 5 minutes to run some diagnostics yourself.

All that said, I also have the 150/10 package myself and my download consistently goes to 30-50 during peak hours. But my neighbour is on Rogers with the same package and his remains constant. So I do feel for you... Teksavvy needs to fix the congestion problems. But the best way they can is if you help them to do so.

SaHiL

join:2008-02-25
Mississauga, ON
reply to Rockinrotho
Arent DOCIS 2.0 modem restricted to 30Mbps? OP what cable modem do you have?

Rockinrotho

N5V0A7
DOCSIS 3 Modem thompson i believe

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to dillyhammer
*takes a bow* I'm here all week folks

Azmodan012

join:2013-05-10
Chatham, ON
kudos:2
reply to coolspot18
There is one that has been made that captures a lot of data in one shot. It can be found in the support section of the Teksavvy website.

It needs to be used when the cable modem is directly attached to the computer.

Teksavvy Ping Test Tool - »support.teksavvy.com/posts/62213···est-tool