uniqs
share rss forum feed

abap1opti

join:2009-05-19
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

[DSL] how do I escalate with TSI?

I have been attempting to upgrade from 6Mbps to 25Mbps (which means ADSL to VDSL, as I understand it) for over a month now. Weeks and weeks of back and forth with various entities of TSI and Bell. I've racked up over 20 hours on the phone. And, while all the TSI folks I've spoken with (save for one) have been very friendly, I'm getting no where. (I might add that the Bell folks were friendly enough too, despite my no longer being a customer of theirs for phone or internet.)

After several failed attempts to place an order with Bell wholesale, with Bell citing some techincal issues, TSI recommended I cancel my existing DSL to see if that would clear up the problem. It did not and I have now been without DSL since - that's around 3 weeks now. Bell finally showed up today and after some back and forth to the node, said I should be good to go. I learn an hour later that I have no dial tone now!! I called TSI and they said I needed a Bell tech again and the best they could do was a next day. Spoke with a supervisor and he said he couldn't do any better - maybe next tech guy from third party who was still to come to instal pot splitter might have better luck Third party tech comes by and says I'm out of luck. He was nice enough to stick around while I called TSI again. Ended up with another supervisor, and got the same message.

This is crazy. Three weeks with no DSL and now at least 24 hours with no phone. I am really dissappointed at the aparently lack of thorough undestanding of the technology and inability to escalate with Bell. Is TSI really that impotent when it comes to getting service from Bell? Is this just a TSI issue, or just a symptom of the underlying Bell monopoly? How do I get further up the TSI change than a supervisor??

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
You're at the right place.

»TekSavvy Direct

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:25
reply to abap1opti
Hello,

Let me start off by apologizing for your experience.

I can say that if it's been this difficult to get DSL going there must be a valid reason for it. Perhaps it wasn't explained to you properly.

As for the phone, it is extremely difficult to receive same day appointments, especially afternoons and on.

If you could PM me your details, I would like to take a a look for you in the morning.

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Online & Operations Intelligence

TekSavvy Website | TekSavvy Blog | Follow Me on Twitter (@AndreCleroux)

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to abap1opti
FYI for anyone following this. The OP provided me account details and we are on track for a repair today

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to abap1opti
Make sure when you're posting in Direct, you don't forget to click the Escalate button.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to abap1opti
Customer is back in business. Turned out to be a bad port.

abap1opti

join:2009-05-19
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to abap1opti
I just wanted to close this off myself and thank Andre et al for their assistance. In the end, it was a Bell fix (both node wiring and system updates) that was required and this was already scheduled. That said, it was not only reassuring, but also important, to have a knowledgeable TSI rep readily available while the Bell tech was on site.

To elaborate on the "bad port" issue, it was more than that. It was utter confusion caused by out-of-date/corrupted information about my phone service, both with Bell and TSI. Something along the lines of my number not being associated with correct port numbers at the node and/or the CO. This is, I am certain, the source of all my issues and what led the original Bell tech to make the mistake he did. Even once the second Bell tech fixed everything (putting me on a brand new, 25 Mbps capable port), TSI realized they weren't actually looking at the correct port on their side. The fix for that was TSI requesting Bell update the system. (Foregive any technical mis-statements here, this is the lay man's interpretation.) Without a knowledgeable and diligent TSI rep making sure I was sorted out, this problem would have persisted and caused yet more problems down the road.

So, herein lie the issues: a) shoddy work a long time ago that left a bunch of loose ends that were hard to uncover after the fact, and b) the retail resellers being ultimately handcuffed to some extent by the wholesalers regarding what information and services they have access to. It is a systemic issue and will not remedy itself any time soon - probably never. Unfortunately, as technologies get more complex, these sorts of issues will only become bigger and more frequent.

So, why stick with the resellers? Partly out of principal and, of course, partly to save a few bucks.

And why stick with TSI in particular? For starters, they are all Canadian - at least for now. It is nice to know that when I call, I am speaking with someone sitting at a desk in Chatham, ON. The customer service is friendly, albeit not necessarily always effective - whatever the reason. However, getting back to the original post, I asked about escalating and, as is evidenced by this thread, I got a response within 10 minutes - after 6pm, to boot. I'd never used this TSI Direct forum before, and I'm not sure how the average customer is to find it (I bumbled across it via Google, despite already having an account here), but the fact remains that it is here and it works as well as can be expected. Does the Bell Direct forum work as well? I don't know. But there are a myriad of other reasons that I've chosen TSI over Bell. Here's the thing: even when my phone service was restored and I was getting 25 Mbps DSL service, Andre didn't leave it there - he made sure everything on his side was correct. That's the key - he didn't leave any loose ends.

In the end, it is we, the consumer, that need to become more "tech savvy", pun intended. We need to make sure we know as much as possible about the products and services we are buying to lessen our dependence on others. It is no simple task to learn what we need, and ought to, know, but knowledge is power. If you don't aquire the necessary knowlege, you have no power. Part of that knowledge is knowing what to do when things do go south, such as knowing how and with whom to escalate.

Thanks again to all who have spent time assisting me to get this issue resolved, both at TSI and Bell. Here's to another few years of stable internet service (until someone tells me I need to run fibre right to my house!).