spc
Search similar:

uniqs

dmid94
@embarqhsd.net

dmid94

Anon

[Embarq] Apple TV

Just got updated to 15mbps and had to get new modem/router provided through Century Link. It is a Cisco DDR 2200. I previously had a Linksys E3000 connected to the old provided dsl modem only. I run Apple Tv to stream movies and stuff to an entertainment center TV from a wired connection on a large desktop PC. Everything worked great with only 5mbps before the upgrade on the old router. Now everything seems ok with Apple tv to see all the movies and play one or sometimes 2 until you stop and try to go to different movie and it just spins the busy circle endlessly. It will reconnect for another 1 or 2 after exiting iTunes on the PC and restarting iTunes. Called CL support and the guy got all up in the router and tested connection and everything checked out ok. Apple support blamed the router as it worked fine before upgrade and I even bought a new apple tv to troubleshoot and the same issue occurred. I feel like the old router might do better but now Cent Link says they don't recommend bridging to the old router. Any advice or anything will be greatly appreciated.
ArizonaSteve
join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

3 edits

ArizonaSteve

From the description it's hard to tell if you are having a problem with wi-fi or Ethernet?
Did you do a speedtest to see if you are getting the proper speeds? Did you do the required wireless site survey? Is the new DDR2200 on a channel without interference? Make sure it's got a free channel and not interfering with the neighbors but if it won't work there's no reason you can't still use the old E3000.
If the E3000 worked OK before it should still work fine. It's an "N" model, not that old. You can connect a second wireless router if you want, just plug it into one of the Ethernet ports on the modem and put in on an unused channel. Then you might want to turn off the wi-fi in the new DDR2200 to prevent interference. If you are using Ethernet then it should be fine either way so adding the E3000 won't give you any benefits. I'm not familiar with the DDR2200 but if plugging directly into that doesn't work properly get a different one like the Q1000 and try it. They are pretty cheap on Craigslist.
It's odd they would give you an old model like the DDR2200 that was phased out June 8, 2012 though. Is there some reason you need a model like that instead of a more common one? That model is for Pair Bonding and VoIP, were you using that before?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to dmid94

MVM

to dmid94
Log into the modem and check the line stats. You could have an issue with one of the lines. But, I believe the problem is with the DDR2200. If you don't have Prism, you could try deleting the QOS entries for Prism and CL's Voip. The only experience I have had with them was not good. I would look and see if you can find one of the Zyxel's that does pair bonding. It may behave better, and then you could eliminate the monthly modem rental fee.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve

He didn't say if he's using pair bonding. Could that be the problem if there's only one pair like normal?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Since he upgraded from 5mb to 15mb and they gave him a DDR2200, the natural assumption is pair bonding. Former Embarq areas would usually not run more than 10mb on a single pair. I'm guessing he is not real close to the RT, since CL will provide up to 25mb on a bonded ADSL setup (without Prism TV).
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

2 edits

ArizonaSteve

But the "new" DDR2200 is only 802.11G, not "N" so maybe that's the problem if he's trying to stream video wirelessly? All the "G" routers I've tried are too old to stream video. If the DSL speed is good I would go back the E3000 and make them give me a newer model modem from this decade.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

That could very well be the problem. I don't remember the CPU or RAM installed, it could also be a bit under-powered. It is supposed to be able to be put in bridge mode, but I never got a chance to try on the ones that I worked with.

This is the Zyxel model that I would prefer over the Cisco.
»www.zyxel.com/products_s ··· html?t=p

dmid94
@embarqhsd.net

dmid94 to ArizonaSteve

Anon

to ArizonaSteve
Thx for quick reply ...that is what they provided for basic internet service no voip or prism. The wifi signal is good too but everything is wired. Everything works fine except apple tv. can I just switch out provided modem/router? should I try to get a new one?
dmid94

dmid94 to ArizonaSteve

Anon

to ArizonaSteve
Wow no N... that cant be good:

Flexible networking. The gateway combines a variety of home networking technologies in one box: Ethernet, USB, 802.11g wireless, and HPNA.
ArizonaSteve
Apache Junction, AZ

ArizonaSteve to dmid94

to dmid94
You can switch it out if you can find a better newer one that will work in your situation with the correct protocol, ADSL2+ or whatever it is, like the P-663HN-51 that Bill recommended. You just need to know your DSL username and password to put in the new one to authorize it. Your username is usually just your name and should be on your docs but you will probably have to call them to find out the password.

dmid94
@embarqhsd.net

dmid94

Anon

Ok thanks I will check out the possibility of upgrading the modem/router. Will century link support/allow that?