how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

paque

join:2003-05-09
Pasadena, CA

[Fusion] Fusion questions about modem and phone features

I'm considering Fusion and the website says I qualify, however I have two questions:

I have a vintage SpeedStream 5260 modem, I believe it hails from late in the last century. I presume that I will need a new modem. Are there any that are favorites and work well with this service?

And second, is there a complete list of phone features anywhere? I am specifically wondering if there is anything similar to the *60 service that I now have, which blocks (telemarketers) numbers from calling when I put them in the list?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I don't know about *60; never tried it.

The SpeedStream 5260 is ADSL, while Fusion provides ADSL2+, for the appropriate modem. At one premises, with a 9,156 foot loop, both a SpeedStream 4100 (ADSL) modem, and a ZTE831II (ADSL2+) modem sync at ~5800 kb/s. At another premises, with a 3,300 foot loop, the SpeedStream 4100 will sync at ~8196 kb, but the ZTE831II will sync at ~16,668 kb/s. So it will depend upon your distance from the DSALAM whether you can get by with the older modem, or would benefit from a newer one.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dickmead
Premium
join:1999-08-22
Pasadena, CA
reply to paque
Just a data point. I'm about 1-1/2 miles from the CO (as the wire runs) and with a Comtrend5072T modem, I get 1200Kbps UP and 7258Kbps DN

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Over in the Sonic.net forum there is a speed/distance graph, and scattergram:

»New Fusion average speed/distance chart

A lot will depend on the condition of the copper. At your distance, I would expect the ADSL modem to offer the same performance for Fusion as you currently see. An ADSL2+ modem might get you more speed; probably not double, though.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
reply to dickmead
We don't have *60, I'm afraid. We do have *77, which blocks anonymous calls (so if a telemarketer is hiding his caller ID, he'd be blocked; otherwise the call would go through).

We normally provide Comtrends and Dlinks, if you sign up for a modem lease with us. I know some users also use 2Wires.

paque

Pasadena, CA
reply to paque
Thanks everyone for answering my questions.

Despite the loss of ability to block telemarketers we're going ahead with Fusion.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Sounds good. If you do decide to get a new modem, you'll want it to be set for DHCP (so either put the modem in Bridge mode if it's a pure modem, or DHCP mode if it's a combo modem/router) - most modems will be configured as such by default. Don't hesitate to hit me up if you need anything, though.

paque

Pasadena, CA
I've decided to go ahead with the current modem, even if it means temporarily lower speeds. Once we're up and running I'll get and install a new modem. We've got a camera system and I want to keep that so I can see it from work, etc. Thus a static IP will be added for convenience.

Incremental changes are easier to troubleshoot....

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Heh, true enough.