share rss forum feed

grtgonzo
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Waterford, MI

1 edit

[Comcast Equip] New set top box - stuck on initial screen

Hello,

I received a new set top box to replace my non-hd box. It is a Pace PR150BNM (RNG150BNM). It seems to be stuck on a screen where it says "The ASTB needs to download new software. This could take a few minutes, please be patient"

Trying to be patient, but it is not really giving indications of doing anything.

It says:

OOB Channel
Tuned to Frequency LKC :75.250 MHz
OOB Wait for GTC :

DOCSIS DSG 3.1 channel
DOCSIS DSG Channel : Locked
DSG Tunnels : Open
DSE Wait for GTC :

It hasn't moved from this screen in more than a few minutes? Is it doing anything?

I tried restarting once already, still the same. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Cableman32

join:2007-10-05
Florida, NY
kudos:1

Re: [STB] New set top box - stuck on initial screen

Give it a while and don't reboot. It will have to start all over if you do.

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
reply to grtgonzo

When I got that box for my self install, it took it over an hour to download & format, but it eventually came up

Do you have the 3 lights on the front flashing left to right repeatedly?

comcastcust

@comcast.net

Hello - ILPT4U - My cable box turns on, the power light is stead green, but i have the 3 lights on the front flashing left to right repeatedly..and my TV screen says "NO SIGNAL" even though I know all the connections are correct. A comcast install tech installed this box over a month ago and has been working for about 45 days with no issue then I went away this weekend and came home to this issue. My regular DVR box in the living room works fine. Any ideas?

joejoejeo

join:2006-04-02
Bloomington, IN

call or chat with them and ask the,m to send a refresh signal to the box to see if that works

comcas

@comcast.net

already called twice. they sent two refresh signals no change either time. they escalated my case to a technician now i have to wait up to 72 hrs to hear from them? and coming up on a long weekend...perfect! I probably wont have this resolved til wednesday next week

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

did you unplug the device and wait a minute then plug it back in if not do that. also check the cables in the back to see if they are pluged in and/or scrud in tight

comcastcust

@comcast.net

yes I have tried unplugging the box both from the back of the box and also from the wall directly for 60+ seconds. when plugged back in the box turns on and for about 15 seconds the TV screen is black with "xifinity" written in large red letters. Then it appears that the cable box cycles off (power buton shuts off) and turns back on and then the 3 lights begin flashing left to right and then the "xfinity" word on the screen goes away and a box pops up that says "NO SIGNAL" please check your connections, etc

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

1 edit

call them and have then check the qualify of the lines and the signal quality

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to comcastcust

said by comcastcust :

yes I have tried unplugging the box both from the back of the box and also from the wall directly for 60+ seconds. when plugged back in the box turns on and for about 15 seconds the TV screen is black with "xifinity" written in large red letters. Then it appears that the cable box cycles off (power buton shuts off) and turns back on and then the 3 lights begin flashing left to right and then the "xfinity" word on the screen goes away and a box pops up that says "NO SIGNAL" please check your connections, etc

Are you connected HDMI or other?

That is exacty what my self install box did when I set it up. I connected it to the tv via HDMI and got that exact behavior. I would let it go with the flashing lights and it seemed like nothing happened.

I changed to component for kicks and giggles & power cycled - I then had an info screen while the lights were flahing. It was a blue BIOS type interface on the screen stating the box was downloading and installing new software. It took at least an hour, if not longer.

I assumed that the HDMI driver does not load while this loader screen runs, so that was why I had "no signal" on the tv

When I let it go long enough connected on component, it eventually finished its download and rebooted and worked

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

also check to see if the box's serial number is in your account and not in the tech notes

comcastcust

@comcast.net

its connected via HMDI cable. i never experienced the blue screen to speak of, but probably because a technician came out and did the install for us, so no self install. i dont have any component cables to try out. any other ideas how to fix this? the lights have been flashing for about 2 hrs with no change at all.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

do you have any other tv connection cables? coax for rf channel 3, composite cables, etc?

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to grtgonzo

ILpt4u is right on with the HDMI stuff. You can use component, composite or RF output to see the screen. A new box should default to channel 3. The refresh hits wont help anything if the box is downloading. It can in fact cause the D/L to restart. It sucks, but the wait can be quite long. I've had boxes hit the 1 1/2 hour mark to complete. If you can hook it by an other than HDMI method at least you can see the status.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to comcastcust

On HDMI I never made it to the blue loader screen - it simply stuck on the lights flashing left to right. My guess was the hdmi driver not loading when the box is in that mode. IDK if it actually was downloading or not when the TV said no signal - I never let it go that long

For kicks and giggles, take it to the DVR location and try it there. And if possible, connect to tv with something other than hdmi until you are passed the left-to-right flashing lights

comcastcust

@comcast.net
reply to ILpt4U

ok sorry for not using the correct names for these things im not very tech savvy with this stuff..but i had a cord (multiple colors) going from same TV to a DVD player. I unplugged the red/white/yellow cords from the DVD player and plugged those into the cable box (other end plugged into the TV component IN slot) and tuned the TV to AV something (instead of HDMI1) and unplugged the HDMI cable all together. Now i have a blue screen that says
the ASTB needs to download new software. this could take a few mins, please be patient.

DOCSIS COMMON DOWNLOAD
DOCSIS channel:locked
Two way mode: signed on
waiting for SMMP TRIGGER

Good/?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

That is where it starts - eventually it will start the download, and give you a progress indicator in some units - blocks maybe?

The actual download can take awhile - hour+ probably

After mine finished the download, it rebooted into iGuide, and initially only "basic" channels worked. Tech Support chat had to push something to the box to get all my channels to actually come thru - Guessing that the download put the box into a full factory default & it needed something pushed to it to allow all the channels

comcastcust

join:2013-08-29

Ok once the download completes will I be able to unplug the component cable and go back to using the HDMI? Also any idea why this would happen after we had been using the box nearly 2
Months with no issues?

joejoejeo

Bloomington, IN

maybe they updated the software and your box did not install it properly or your box did not update to the newer software and the software the box has is now not being used by comcast

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to comcastcust

said by comcastcust:

Ok once the download completes will I be able to unplug the component cable and go back to using the HDMI? Also any idea why this would happen after we had been using the box nearly 2
Months with no issues?

A guess, but Comcast pushed a signal to update the box's software/firmware, but when it tried to load with the HDMI connection, the loader fails

But yes, once the new software/firmware is loaded in, HDMI should work again

comcastcust

Thank you for all your help. Hopefully this works!

comcastcust

Ok 45 minutes later the screen looks exactly the same. No progress bar anywhere/ at all?

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

I don't even remember how long it took until it began the actual download -- you don't get a progress bar, more of a counter of total units to download vs total units already downloaded

comcastcust

Yeah no counter at all as of yet.

ILpt4U
Premium
Lisle, IL

So did it end up working after letting it try last night?

not

@comcast.net
reply to grtgonzo

You have your cable cord plugged into the wrong port on the back of the box. Most Comcast set top boxes have to coax ports on it. You've plugged into the wrong one, that's why the box cannot connect to the network to get its info. This can easily happen. Recheck your wiring please... if it's not that, it's provisioning or a bad port on the back of the box.