The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Sea of hydro pylons?

I think I have asked this before.
My question was shooting thru hydro pylons.

So I have a possible biz customer that is looking for a dedicated PTP link to a water treatment plant so remote stations can talk back to this facility, and currently on unreliable DSL.

BUT if any link goes, its literally thru a sea of hydro towers and pylons, transmission lines. Its RIGHT NEXT to the power generation station this time so there is many lines leaving here on many rows deep of hydro towers.

My first link thru hydro towers was great. But the CPE end will be within a few hundred meters of the lines/towers. I cant even for sure say there LOS because their 60 foot DMX tower just would blend into all the hydro pylons.

Anyone have weird effects of a link (5.8ghz) thru the high voltage lines?

This thermal plant is scheduled to shut off soon anyways.
This picture from wikipedia is exactly what I would be shooting thru/over, the customer is just off to the right of it.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fi ··· on_2.jpg

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Na ··· _Station

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

We tested that five years ago. You would have to be shooting almost straight in line parallel with the metal lines. No problems shooting through them or at an angle.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by WHT:

We tested that five years ago. You would have to be shooting almost straight in line parallel with the metal lines. No problems shooting through them or at an angle.

It would be at an angle, but I wouldnt say its a strong one. I would guesstimate 30-35 degrees to the lines leaving the station
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele

We have link that was a bear to set up at the beginning, but it has been running just fine once we found a workable freq. This is a PtP through a major transmission line with a bunch of cables. I think we are hitting the lines at about 30degrees.
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
Before fibre is put in, you will probably find the scada system that monitors your local power grid is backhauled via microwave. At 4 of the local substations where i live, they have a tower next to it with microwave radios dishes on them going in all directions. Although fibre is being installed to take over the job of this as our local lines company decided they would use their existing ducting to link the substations and provide a fibre service to business users.

Anyhow, my point is - microwave shouldnt have a problem if the lines company is doing it already for their own internal scada system.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to Inssomniak

to Inssomniak
said by Inssomniak:

It would be at an angle, but I wouldnt say its a strong one. I would guesstimate 30-35 degrees to the lines leaving the station

I had to get within 5 degrees before I saw problems.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor
said by raytaylor:

Before fibre is put in, you will probably find the scada system that monitors your local power grid is backhauled via microwave. At 4 of the local substations where i live, they have a tower next to it with microwave radios dishes on them going in all directions. Although fibre is being installed to take over the job of this as our local lines company decided they would use their existing ducting to link the substations and provide a fibre service to business users.

Anyhow, my point is - microwave shouldnt have a problem if the lines company is doing it already for their own internal scada system.

Around here all the substations are interconnected via aerial fibre.
In fact I'm not aware of any operating SCADA systems in my area at all.
The only thing power related that is monitored via RF that i know of is the new solar farm they installed. I know because they pointed a 115.2kbps hopper connected to a 20dbi 900mhz dish right at one of my heavily loaded APs and couldn't figure out why it wasnt working right. So they called .

Ok WHT thanks If they are still interested I will give the link a shot