spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rpineli
@mycingular.net

rpineli

Anon

gaming

I just got the 24 tier...any tips for gaming it feels laggy but I am not sure if its my tv I just got or the connection. I just got a 60 inch Samsung 6300.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

Wired or wireless?
rpinelli
join:2013-08-10
Daytona Beach, FL

rpinelli

Wired, hdmi...any suggestions would be appreciated. I am used to playing on another samsung 60 inch and was on roadrunner lightning 40 before.

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

I take that to mean 40Mbps - clearly you have less than that if you have U-verse now. How are your pings?

rpineli
@mycingular.net

rpineli

Anon

If I used speedtest the ping is 150 or more on wireless from my laptop. The brighthouse pings were always in the 30s. I just feel if I switched to lightning 60 or 90 it would be better. The other thing is the hd channels are not that clear on uverse. I thought they would be more crisp

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

You said you were wired, now you talk about wireless pings.

Do this:
1. Turn off all DVRs/STBs in the house.
2. Log into your RG and disable WiFi.
3. Unplug all devices that are hardwired, except whichever computer you're going to use for the test.
4. Plug that computer directly into the RG.
5. Re-do the speed test.

rpineli
@mycingular.net

rpineli to Wily_One

Anon

to Wily_One
Also if I do a test wireless on speakeasy I get around 18 on my 24mb connection which I assume is because 6 is put towards the cable.
rpineli

rpineli

Anon

Ok did that and I got 18.....so basically for gaming and things would the roadrunner 90 or 60 be faster than the 24mb? I am usually running a tv xbox and laptop....xbox wired....tv and laptop wireless

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

18ms ping? I am asking what your ping time is.

I don't know anything about RR, but if those are speeds obviously 90 and 60 are faster than 24. That being said, online gaming does not consume that much bandwidth - 24Mb is fine for gaming. Latency however is critical if you play twitch games.

You said you got 150ms on wireless - then my tip is: Don't play wirelessly.

rpineli
@mycingular.net

rpineli

Anon

Ping is still over 100....I got 123 and 138 wired. I do play all games wired. When you say twitch games would CoD be considered a twitch game. Usually I get 4 bars but I have not had a 4 bar connection so far at all on uverse

Wily_One
Premium Member
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

OK the ping I'm talking about is that reported by speedtest.net. If you're getting over 100ms on wired, you have a problem. You also said you signed up for 24Mb but you're only seeing 18Mb download speed? Then that is also a problem if you signed up for the 24 more than a day ago.

Pings as reported by game servers is the total latency all the way from your house to their system; 100+ ms is not unusual nor a problem per se. This part is really not controllable, but most of the major games are served out of the U.S. so that's good for you, not so much people in SE Asia for example.

Yes CoD would be a twitch game.

I'm still confused you keep saying you play only wired yet you keep mentioning wireless stuff. Yes the U-verse WiFi could be better; it's only 802.11g.