Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

2 edits

[CA] Question on Flarewatch

»www.multichannel.com/distributio···s/144636

This flarewatch doesn't seem like an especially good price bargain. It sounds like you must have Preferred tier, which delivers 10 Mbps downstream by 1 Mbps upstream for about $47 per month. Then the flarewatch is $39.99 per month and you must by up to three Fan TV devices for $50 apiece.

RCN offers Signature Digital TV & 50 Mbps High-Speed Internet 225 Channels (71 in HD) 1 TiVo Premiere and 2 digital converters, PLUS Docsis cable modem rental and TiVo adaptor for $89.99/mo (you must purchase own router).

I am not trolling here, but looking for feedback. Am I missing something? Is it somehow dramatically better than cable? Are there channels that are not available on cable?

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

in some areas like Omaha Cox has no competition.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Well this service seems like a better option
$99.99 Per month for 24 months Cox Bronze Bundle
Includes TV, Internet & Phone 240+ channels 25 Mbps download speeds
===
But then the Regular Price $156.97

So Maybe Flare Watch comes with a promise not to increase costs after 24 months. That's where the bargain is coming in.

I hope someone posts who has this service.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

why worry about it? It's not cox area wide yet

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Im actually very interested in this. Combined with their Contour service, I wonder how long it will be until Cox pushes all their video over IP? What markets is it so far?

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

according the link Beta only in CA

bleomycin

join:2010-11-28
Newport Coast, CA
reply to Optimus2357

Don't get too excited, the bandwidth counts against your data cap and the quality is pretty terrible. It's far worse than youtube from years ago, the motion artifacting is horrendous.

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

I didn't say I was excited, as in I wanted to try it, more interested, like I wanted to know more about it. I don't want to make any assumptions, but it makes you wonder what else Cox is doing behind the scenes if they are starting to lean towards video over IP.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to ajwees41

said by ajwees41:

why worry about it? It's not cox area wide yet

»www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall···nternet/

The House of Lords last year proposed a bill to abolish broadcast in the UK to free up spectrum.

Eventually there will be movements in the USA to do the same.I am curious about the technology and the price structure.

ajwees41
Premium
Omaha, NE

2 edits

I'm guessing cox just like now will have different prices in different areas if it comes out of beta.

and look how well the Tivo on Cox or Cox Ondemand via Tivo's went. No where

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

Will this count against the monthly data CrAP? If so, this really isn't a deal at all. IPTV should be its own entity.

-Rob

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Paco has it right, its only a matter of time until the FCC asks cable providers to reduce or eliminate the frequency spectrum used for analog/digital broadcast. There already has been huge changed to who owns what in the last 3-5 years and I think in the next 3-5 it will be even more severe. Look at the huge sell off the Military had. I think they even gave up some of their GPS frequencies which surprised me. And since other ways to increase bandwidth is more expensive, I don't think the providers will put up much fight. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just waiting for the FCC to "demand" it for PR reasons. I think Cox should be bold and go full video over IP, and specialize their network accordingly. Base the pricing of bandwidth by a static amount per GB, amount you use in a 24hr period, and amount you use in a month. This would balance out the cost of burst bandwidth vs sustained.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 edit

said by Optimus2357:

Paco has it right, its only a matter of time until the FCC asks cable providers to reduce or eliminate the frequency spectrum used for analog/digital broadcast.

I am not sure if there is any advantage to eliminating broadcast in one DMA. Can you sell the frequencies in just one section of the country?

»www.mosquitonet.com/~kjnp/
One of the smallest Designated Market Area (DMA) by number of TV Homes is Fairbanks Alaska with 38,000 homes. They have ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS and one religious channel. But a very large percentage of homes receive programming OTA. Only Fairbanks Milwaukee are places where more OTA homes than Satellite.

Phoenix is the largest of 45 DMA's where satellite homes exceed wired cable.

NYC has a very small percentage of TV homes using OTA, and presumably would benefit the most from increased frequency space. Poor reception from Empire State Building where most broadcast towers are located.

Which DMA would eliminate OTA first?

Optimus2357
Premium
West Warwick, RI

Well I must admit a foolish mistake I made. I think I was somehow, without knowing it, thinking the OTA frequencies had anything to do with the frequencies used for cable. They don't right? To punish myself I pulled up this classic

»www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publ···chrt.pdf

What really surprised me is how much space AM radio takes up. Considering AM radio is about as relevant as the telegraph these days, I wonder why the FCC hasn't pulled the plug? Is that spectrum not useful for digital transmission?

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

Getting into a personal nerd mode here, and I am off topic a bit...

There's a scale issue there on AM, they only use about 1.2 Mhz of spectrum, which would be tiny if you moved it down a row. Compare that to FM at 30 Mhz. AM is pretty efficient compared to FM, an AM signal is 6 Khz vs FM is 15 Khz. TV is 6 Mhz. Any spectrum would work for any mode, but efficiency is the key. Some hams are doing digital voice on the HF range pretty well I hear, but the quality is low.

Cable uses about 3 Mhz to 1 Ghz, maybe higher with MOCA. I think the FCC is looking at getting some of these broadcasters to voluntarily trade their spectrum for compensation. When the did the digital transition they recovered some spectrum, just like they did back in the day when they pushed out some of the higher channels in the TV band to reclaim that spectrum.

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 recommendation

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_50···d_States
I think there are more people making a living on AM then you think.

I don't think there is any pressing need for 1 Mhz of frequency bandwidth occupied by AM. It certainly would not be worth the expense of closing everything down.

VHF TV channels 5&6 may be abandoned and turned over to FM Radio. Digital television has problems with impulse noise interference, particularly in this band.

Yes, the Fcc is going to try to give financial incentives to reclaim more of the UHF bandwidth. UHF channel 52 to 69 have been reallocated to Part 90 Land Mobile Radio Service and Channels 70 to 83 in 1982 were reallocated to Land Mobile Radio Service and Cellular Mobile Radio Service. Channel 51 has a moratorium on new stations, and the government will certainly try and persuade the old ones to leave.

I am skeptical that the government will get more frequency without a change in law. They just won't pay enough to buy out the current owners.
==============
NYC DMA has 288K over the air TV households, 6373K wired cable, and 812K satellite or other alternative delivery systems. Unless there is a legal reason, I don't know why CBS doesn't alter it's broadcasts to put old Twilight Zones on from 8 to 9 PM for it's broadcast only. The loss of those OTA housholds would be relatively minor, but it would help kill Aereo TV.

There may be a legal issue about offering different programming within the same DMA.