Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits

[AB] Telus enforcing bandwidth limits now?

My father told me that there's a tech coming tomorrow morning to upgrade our internet (to 50 probably) because we're way over our 150GB limit on Internet 15. He said the phone rep is gonna cut our service if we didn't upgrade our internet. This is a bit frustrating because we switched to Telus in the first place because of Shaw forcing us to upgrade due to bandwidth and the cost involved with it. We were also supposed to have the 15/15/15 promo for 6 months but my bill says $160. We signed a 3 year contract to get the LG TV too.
So is Telus enforcing bandwidth now?
Expand your moderator at work

clowninasack

join:2006-11-09
Salmon Arm, BC
reply to tablo

Re: [AB] Telus enforcing bandwidth limits now?

I think it depends on the area and if you're causing problems. I'm pushing 200GB/day and not a peep from Telus. They even gave me 50Mbps for what I was paying before after Shaw tried to steal me back.

Bucko2013

@rogers.com
reply to tablo
The rumor is October... But that's just a rumor...

bucko2012

@sasknet.sk.ca
i'll pray hard that the rumor is not true, that the very last thing people need to worry about.

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TELUS
What kind of third world dictatorship bullshit is it if we have to live in a country where we have to ask ourselves 'can I download this game/movie/netflix/ETC'

If this is true and they charge me for using less than a TB a month on the 50mbit plan, I will lose my shit.

tablo

Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to clowninasack
Okay the tech came and the connection speed is now 40960Kbps/7167Kbps.... only a small improvement on the upload from 3mbps. The download speed is actually about the same from what I was getting on 15 The actual speeds are about 35/1.5
Maybe it actually is my area that's the issue.

Darhole
Premium
Edmonton, AB
Is that wired (if not, run it wired) That's a very odd speed (unless you ran that test wirelessly) You should have 50/10 or 25/2.5 depending what you bought.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:22
reply to Darhole
said by Darhole:

What kind of third world dictatorship bullshit is it if we have to live in a country where we have to ask ourselves 'can I download this game/movie/netflix/ETC'

If this is true and they charge me for using less than a TB a month on the 50mbit plan, I will lose my shit.

This is an heated issue. I just have to say that only a very small minority of our users are abusing their internet connection to some ridiculous amount of TB downloaded every month but they do ruin it for the rest. Its not a dictatorship at all. You are paying for a service. That company offering the service as the right to set the rules. It up to you to decided whether you want to follow them or not.

There is no certainty, even internally, of when or even if this will be in effect. TELUS has to make sure that if they charged for extra bandwidth that our counter are working right in the first place. I wouldn't worry too much at this moment but things can change.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
You know what you take alot of slack around here and sometimes appear to be the official DSL reports telus punching bag. You take heat from us angry nerds who know our stuff but you remain very informative to the best of your abilities.

The Internet is a vast Infinite expanse that just keeps growing in the same fashion the Universe is growing and the for the Internet is its own universe. With the Internet being its own universe it just seems pretty bad to toll the road to navigate this vast universe

Darhole
Premium
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Symtex
So blacklist the guys using it as a damn file server. I use 6-800 gigs a month for normal usage, mostly streaming. If they had decent f***ing caps in place to begin with I would have no qualms with it.

400 gig cap on a 50mbit connection is highway robbery for 80 bucks a month. I don't bitch like some here about I can't get this or that or I pay too much, but I will bitch if they take away my reasonable usage amounts with this crap.

The fact of the matter is usage has gone up dramatically for many users because of all the convenience of online based services, and instead of gouging us they should be reasonable and enforce their reasonable caps on the ones that are causing this mess to begin with.

Same reason alot of folks including me don't have a land line these days, why pay for it when we are getting arm and legged for cell contracts already.

edit: I pay 163 bucks a month for TV and Internet with Telus, and you never hear me bitching about the price or quality of service. Charge me for going over when I already have a very reasonable usage amount, and see that change, and I am certainly not alone. Since I switched I have praised this company and had multiple clients of mine and friends swap over or stay away from Shaw's aggressive promo's lately. It would really disappoint me to see the company I vouched for (which I do not give out easily) spit in my face.

tablo

Edmonton, AB
reply to Symtex
I'm sure I only used 700GB at most, really. So I'm not sure what triggered it.

Dreyfus

join:2013-02-18
reply to tablo
If what the OP is saying is true, then for all practical purposes Telus is already charging UBB (even though technically it is a forced upgrade). Worse yet, Telus is tier-selling speed and quota, when all the OP may want is the latter.

Telus' standalone 15/1 with 150G quota is $55. He can get Teksavvy 15/1 unlimited for $53 (which includes the dry loop fee). Greater functionality at a lower cost.

tablo

Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits
Yeah, it's similar to what Shaw is doing now. They didn't implement the "bump-up program" officially yet but they're calling customers and bumping their packages. I'm a little disappointed because I thought Telus didn't even enforce bandwidth yet.
But I guess the "enforcing bandwidth" people said meant UBB as in charging by each overage GB. The Telus High Speed FAQ talks about TELUS contacting excessive usage customers with options anyway. Hopefully I don't get another call threatening me to suspend my service...

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to tablo
There's always the Business 25 package (which is realistically 25/6.5) for $86/month, where they explicitly state the usage is unlimited.

mdub6

join:2008-10-28
Canada
reply to tablo
said by tablo:

My father told me that there's a tech coming tomorrow morning to upgrade our internet (to 50 probably) because we're way over our 150GB limit on Internet 15. He said the phone rep is gonna cut our service if we didn't upgrade our internet. This is a bit frustrating because we switched to Telus in the first place because of Shaw forcing us to upgrade due to bandwidth and the cost involved with it. We were also supposed to have the 15/15/15 promo for 6 months but my bill says $160. We signed a 3 year contract to get the LG TV too.
So is Telus enforcing bandwidth now?

So what your saying is.... I should start downloading 24/7, and Telus will provide me with something better than a 6/1 connection?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to tablo
Anyone worried about data caps can move to Olds, Alberta where you can get gigabit fiber (symmetrical) with NO data caps for $57/month when bundled, $90 if not.

See >> »www.o-net.ca/manage/ultr ··· services

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
i would much rather have service with novus in the vancouver area then some random town in alberta lolz
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
Click for full size
said by 18286719:

i would much rather have service with novus in the vancouver area then some random town in alberta lolz

Novus charges for overages, at $0.25/GB but you can only buy blocks of 20GB.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

dbarron

join:2000-01-03
Vancouver, BC
reply to tablo
It's too bad you are on a contract. We have Teksavvy 25/unlimited for $45/mo in Vancouver. Shaw High Speed 20 is $60/mo with 250GB cap, and Telus Internet 25 is $60/mo with 150GB cap. Granted we don't have TV service or a land line, so a triple play doesn't matter to us, but Telus and Shaw are really sticking it to their customers bit by bit.

Too bad more people don't know about the alternatives.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Darhole
said by Darhole:

It's not a dictatorship, it's capitalism combined with lack of competition (duopoly).

It's just a way for Telus to make more money, and since they don't have any real competition to threaten them, there's nothing to stop them.

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit
reply to tablo
Geez, I go away for a week and up comes all this enforced bandwidth cap crapola again.
OK then, October is time to finally go over to the Teksavvy side of 300GB limit or no limit packages on these shitty old line cards(they are stable and reliable). Hopefully no problems in the change over as I keep hearing about there being no spare ports available and I'd scream if I lose DSL.

Yea, I'm over about 40GB to 70GB a month(100GB cap) on 6Mbps and old shitty Adsl1 cards(pretty sure thats whats in there), with the Central Office needing a full rebuild on its 2 rack sections of hardware to get anything faster.
Internet TV with classic shows and quality new stuff, are so much better than the shit of reality shows and poorly scripted dung of current times on regular tv.

There is hardware hope as the ancient equipment(12 years old?) on the attached cell tower is being upgraded so mobile Internet download speed can at least work above .5Mbps down in tourist season(regular 8Mbps down. .8Mbps up).
--
Knowledge and curiosity are not crimes and those who are curious should not be treated like criminals.. »www.eff.org/https-everywhere

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
Reviews:
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to tablo
I switched from shaw to telus last month because of Shaw trying to nag me into higher programs because i use over a terabyte a month. If telus starts to nag me about my usage their is not much i can do since i am on their highest plan. Since they do not have an unlimited package for like 10-20 more bucks(which i would gladly pay) there is little options.

Best bet IMO is to do all heavy downloading after 1am so as to not clog up the network during peak hours and cause reps to need to harass you. Also never sign a contract so you have the option of getting out.
--
WCG Can you BOINC it?!?

Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB
reply to tablo
I just wish we could have a completely official answer. If Telus won't offer unlimited in my area, I'll have to switch to Teksavvy or even Shaw because the highest (my current plan) is 15 megabits, so I'm limited to 150GB.

Teksavvy offers unlimited transfer caps at a slight increase in price

Shaw offers unlimited transfer caps at too high of a price

Telus's caps in my area are 150GB on the highest plan and they don't offer unlimited on residential.

It would help the power users and keep them on Telus if for maybe $10 or $20 more, we could have unlimited. All I want is a reliable 15 meg down unlimited cap connection.

In the world of business it would seem that you shouldn't rip your customers off while not offering a package that both of your competitors offer because your customers will go to the competition. It's really not that difficult.

I'm not directing this at the Telus techs here because I know it's not your fault, but Telus sure is being strange.

I hope Telus at least introduces unlimited caps hopefully at a descent price.

EDIT: I'm currently at 372.18 GB (pfSense vnstat2) and my billing cycle resets every 13th.

xtachx

join:2005-11-19
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to BadMagpie
said by BadMagpie:

There's always the Business 25 package (which is realistically 25/6.5) for $86/month, where they explicitly state the usage is unlimited.

There is teksavvy as well, you pay telus prices, use telus lines and get unlimited download.
--
Connected to the world with 1-800-BLOODBATH-Mobility

tablo

Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to MerinX
Yeah. I'm not too worried about the bandwidth caps but rather the reps calling to harass me about my bandwidth usage. After all it actually might be a problem in my area. I have called in several times because the upload speed is too low to even load pages properly or do Skype video calls with voice. Calling in few days ago fixed the upload speed to be more than 5mbps, but brought the download speed to around 13mbps for some reason.

BadMagpie

join:2011-02-05
reply to xtachx
I know about Teksavvy, but I'd much rather get the 6+ mbit upload speed. I can assume you get maybe 3 mbit on the existing 25 mbit package. People have been talking about getting 50 from Teksavvy for quite a while but I don't see that package yet.
While we're at it, I'm wondering if putting dual 25/3 lines into a V2000h would work. Don't they support MLPPP? 600GB/month plus unlimited transfers overnight ought to be enough for what I use.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to tablo
Did this ever start happening? I'm always looking for a 2nd option, and always waiting for the inevitable call from shaw saying that I exceeded the cap

BxB

join:2006-01-16
k1r5d6

1 edit
reply to tablo
SHould NOT have signed any long term contract just to get the TV.

Telus is not only enforcing monthly usage limited which I never go over (30 GB per month) , they are also throttling torrent of which I am a causal user (they didn't admit it throttling the first time, but eventually did).

The problem is that western Canada is dominated by Shaw and Telus, they do what they want, customers get screwed!

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:22
said by BxB:

SHould have signed any long term contract just to get the TV.

Telus is not only enforcing monthly usage limited which I never go over (30 GB per month) , they are also throttling torrent of which I am a causal user (they didn't admit it throttling the first time, but eventually did).

The problem is that western Canada is dominated by Shaw and Telus, they do what they want, customers get screwed!

Whoever told you we were throttling has no idea what he was talking about. Can you please stop spreading that crap. On the other hand, Shaw really does throttle.
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.