Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

raytaylor

join:2009-07-28
kudos:1
reply to Inssomniak

Re: Sea of hydro pylons?

Before fibre is put in, you will probably find the scada system that monitors your local power grid is backhauled via microwave. At 4 of the local substations where i live, they have a tower next to it with microwave radios dishes on them going in all directions. Although fibre is being installed to take over the job of this as our local lines company decided they would use their existing ducting to link the substations and provide a fibre service to business users.

Anyhow, my point is - microwave shouldnt have a problem if the lines company is doing it already for their own internal scada system.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
said by raytaylor:

Before fibre is put in, you will probably find the scada system that monitors your local power grid is backhauled via microwave. At 4 of the local substations where i live, they have a tower next to it with microwave radios dishes on them going in all directions. Although fibre is being installed to take over the job of this as our local lines company decided they would use their existing ducting to link the substations and provide a fibre service to business users.

Anyhow, my point is - microwave shouldnt have a problem if the lines company is doing it already for their own internal scada system.

Around here all the substations are interconnected via aerial fibre.
In fact I'm not aware of any operating SCADA systems in my area at all.
The only thing power related that is monitored via RF that i know of is the new solar farm they installed. I know because they pointed a 115.2kbps hopper connected to a 20dbi 900mhz dish right at one of my heavily loaded APs and couldn't figure out why it wasnt working right. So they called .

Ok WHT thanks If they are still interested I will give the link a shot
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca