spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

crappyjazz

@queensu.ca

[TV] Giving up on Cogeco in Kingston

I can't handle Cogeco service anymore. Since moving to a new neighbourhood in Kingston we have had constant issues with telephone, internet and television. The most recent is that for the last two weeks, our TV reception stutters and pixelates often and in the last couple of days is completely unwatchable. I checked Cogeco's website to see that yesterday at 1 p.m. an "outage" was noted for the neighbourhood I live in.

I called this morning to be told that it is specifically the building I live in. No ETA on when it would be fixed only just the usual "it's being looked into". According to our super and some neighbours I chatted with, no one has seen a Cogeco vehicle and the super has never been contacted to let them in. I was told I would be credited for a week's worth of service.

I'm just tired of having to call this Company at least once a month, wait around for someone to show up and look at our modem and then blah blah blah to me and tell me basically nothing. Things will work for a couple of weeks and then we're back to having to call them again.

I'm hoping that any Kingston folks on here might be able to recommend some alternatives. I need a good high speed internet package, telephone service with free long distance as my family lives in the U.S. and comparable HD TV packages. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
said by crappyjazz :

I'm just tired of having to call this Company at least once a month, wait around for someone to show up and look at our modem and then blah blah blah to me and tell me basically nothing. Things will work for a couple of weeks and then we're back to having to call them again.

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten the experience you should expect from us. If you register on these forums and PM me your info, I'd love to take a look into this issue and get you back to enjoying your services!

crappyjazz

@queensu.ca
Hi there - are you a Cogeco employee? I'm at work so not sure what my information is, I assume you mean numbers on my modem, etc.? I'm extremely non-technical so you might regret the offer

I'll register later this evening and PM you. Not sure that you can help though, they say it has something to do with our building.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium,VIP
join:2011-07-11
kudos:6
said by crappyjazz :

Hi there - are you a Cogeco employee?

Yep! Any doubts, ask the others around the forum.

said by crappyjazz :

I'm at work so not sure what my information is, I assume you mean numbers on my modem, etc.?

Any information that will help me look up your account. Either the number off your Digital Box (Should start with GI, M, or P), your Modem MAC (will be on the bottom of your modem and will say Cable MAC or CM MAC), or even your account #, whatever is easiest.

said by crappyjazz :

I'll register later this evening and PM you. Not sure that you can help though, they say it has something to do with our building.

The least I can do is try and help alleviate your frustration! I'll do my best to get to the bottom of it for you.

Edit: Fixed the overuse of the word "easier". Also, I've been a victim of semantic satiation with the word "either".

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON
reply to crappyjazz
The neighbourhoods listed are old neighbourhoods in Kingston. At first I thought you were talking about a new neighbourhood in one of the many new sub-divisions in Kingston. That being said.....

The most likely causes could be old wiring and/or damage from old building as in water leaks, etc. I know people who have lived and are living in the Queen Mary Rd. area, and the up keep of some of the buildings have gone very down hill over the years as well as the safety of said buildings and area.

The problems with the TV reception stuttering and pixelates, I hear others have the same problem in different parts of the city. My parents in the township have this problem and my dad reboots the receiver, it seems to help clear up the problem for a while. I don't have TV, so I can't confirm this will work for everyone.

In those older areas, I think you would have the same problems no matter who your services are with.

You can safely PM Cogeco_Aaron your info. He/She is a Cogeco employee and will help you out.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

Yourowntech

join:2011-11-14
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to crappyjazz
Assuming there are no after market splitters and all your connections are fine. Its likely low signal from the street. you can log on to your modem by going to 192.168.100.1 and that will tell you what your signal levels are. If you post your levels and can assure that your modem is running off the 3.5 leg of the splitter I can likely tell you were the problem is. Your modem should run with an RX between -5 and +5 with a TX of between 40 and 50. Your SNR should be as close to 40 as possible. Believe it or not where each one of these levels are actually pinpoints your issue. Also take a look at the analog channels on your tv and watch for picture anomalies. There are also options within your digital box to tell you what is going on with the signal. But its definitely a signal issue if all of your equipment is having an issue.

crappyjazz

@cgocable.net

1 edit
Thanks yourowntech:

Downstream
DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 17 507.00 MHz -1.22 dBmV 32.24 dB 256QAM 325777 592974 649543
Downstream 2 21 531.00 MHz -0.05 dBmV 32.32 dB 256QAM 23526918 511417 499817
Downstream 3 22 537.00 MHz -0.88 dBmV 33.27 dB 256QAM 23304862 551850 581337
Downstream 4 23 543.00 MHz 0.10 dBmV 33.38 dB 256QAM 23507419 505580 501922
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream
UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 1 32.00 MHz 46.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 2560 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 2 2 28.70 MHz 46.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 2560 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 3 3 25.29 MHz 44.50 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 2560 kSym/s 64QAM
Upstream 4 4 22.00 MHz 46.00 dBmV DOCSIS2.0 (ATDMA) 2560 kSym/s 64QAM

Status
System Uptime: 0 d: 0 h: 27 m
Computers Detected: staticCPE(1), dynamicCPE(1)
CM Status: Telephony-Reg Complete
Time and Date: Fri 2013-08-23 05:47:09

Interface Parameters
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed (Mbps) MAC address
LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full) (removed)
CABLE Enabled Up ----- )removed)
USB Enabled Down ----- (removed)
MTA Pass Up ----- (removed)

I don't know if is readable, but the SNR thing you said isn't at 40.

Aaron Cogeco guy, I'l register and PM you my account.

Asawulf
Ignorance is bliss
VIP
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC
kudos:4
Please edit your text and remove your MAC addresses from there

crappyjazz

join:2013-08-23
I don't seem to have the option to edit that post.

There was an "edit" link in this post, but not the one you are referring to. Sorry if I messed something up here. Is there a mod that can delete that?

crappyjazz

reply to Jackorama
Thank you Jack.

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
reply to crappyjazz
PM Sent

Jackorama

join:2008-05-23
Kingston, ON

1 recommendation

reply to crappyjazz
Info I found somewhere on DSLReports, just can't remember where?

For your information, ideal power levels are as follows:
• Downstream/Forward Path Power Level: -11 to +11dbmv
• Upstream/Return Path Power Level: 35 to 52dbmv
• SNR/Signal to Noise Ratio: above 32db

Yourowntech: Are you not a third party Bell field sales agent? You state it here Re: Bell Door to Door Sales »Bell Door to Door Sales. Trying to drum up sales, eh.
--
"Whenever they invent something that's moron proof, someone comes by and invents a better moron."

"Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?"

"Those of you who think you know everything are annoying those of us who do."

Yourowntech

Niagara Falls, ON
I was a Cogeco Service Tech for 10 years and a Bell Installer for 5 years. I know the best and the worst of both worlds!

Yourowntech

Niagara Falls, ON
reply to crappyjazz
your SNR is low. That can cause slow speeds and dropping your connection. Tighten all the connections from behind the modem to as far out to the street as you can get. And to be honest with a TX of 46 I would expect to see you not running on the first 2 way splitter in the house. have you moved your modem?

crappyjazz

No, have never moved the modem.

The first time we had an issue, Cogeco sent a guy here who said it hadn't been done right the first time.