spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wco

@sbcglobal.net

[HD] Recent Direct TV to Comcast Switchers?

Anyone recently move to Comcast from Direct TV?

I'm contemplating it.

I can get more channels and faster Internet than the U-Verse 6 Mbps connection from Comcast than what I pay for Direct TV alone.

I'd have to buy a Tivo setup though, maybe about $1200 for one of the new Roamio 6-tuner boxes and their Tivo Mini client with lifetime service for both.

But if Direct TV doesn't give me new equipment as well as discounts, over two years, I'd be spending about $1200 more with D* anyways.

I absolutely want to switch from U-verse to Comcast, at least for the data. But of course, the double play deals are better than just getting Internet from Comcast.

My concerns about Comcast are picture quality, and maybe loss of multiple HBO and Showtime channels. On Direct TV, of course they have East and West coast channels for both HBO and Showtime as well as things like HBO Zone, HBO Signature, HBO Comedy, etc.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Around here comcast has a better picture than direct tv. As far as the extra hbo stations, on comcast about anything you get on them stations you can get ondemand so that shouldnt be a issue. As far as 1200 for tivos. Cant help you there but i sure wouldnt be paying it.

pmayo

join:2001-10-22
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to wco
How many years with Directv?? They certainly can be generous when reuping with free upgrades to their HR34.

Had Comcast and went back to DTV and DSL. Just switched on Friday to Comcast HSI. Now today their mail server is down

From a reliability standpoint -- DTV is never down and rain fades are minimal even in Florida.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
said by pmayo:

How many years with Directv?? They certainly can be generous when reuping with free upgrades to their HR34.

Had Comcast and went back to DTV and DSL. Just switched on Friday to Comcast HSI. Now today their mail server is down

From a reliability standpoint -- DTV is never down and rain fades are minimal even in Florida.

Probably over 10 years. I would like the HR44. They've offered me a Genie, which could be either HR34 or HR44 and a Genie Mini, as well as upgrade to Whole Home Service, for $49 plus tax.

But even with that, unless they reduce my monthly bill, I'd be paying $60 more a month in the first year for TV and Internet and then $40 more a month in the second year.

That adds up to $1200.

So if I buy the Tivo equipment with lifetime service, I could resell it and get at least half of that outlay back, after a few years, unless the DVRs offered by cable companies really improve.

I know Comcast has talked up the X1 and X2 but from looking at various forums, it looks like they are working out many bugs. Plus, you would be paying $20 or more a month perpetually, not owning the thing, not being able to sell it and get some money back.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast
you won't get the out of market regional sports networks with Comcast in MOST AREAS.
You also lose nfl sunday ticket. Plus the x1 isn't available in ALL areas yet but will be by the end of the year. Plus you can't pause or rewind live tv on the satellite boxes on the x1 whole home service.
If your area doesn't have x1 basically all you can do on the satellite boxes with anyroom is watch live and recorded tv. You can't record or delete shows like on the x1, hopper or genie.
With Comcast you get access to the sub channels plus some channels from surrounding markets if they are carried on your system. For instance with satellite I would lose my local university channel, this tv, METV, wtae, wpxi and kdka that I can only get via cable or antenna. Plus I would lose access to watch espn, watch abc and other online sources that are ONLY available on cable.
Also You have to compare packages and what channels you want.
I'm sure if you called directv and told them you are thinking about switching to Comcast they will work with you.
I'm also sure if you called Comcast and told them you wanted to switch from directv they will offer you some sort of special.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Around here comcast has a better picture than direct tv. As far as the extra hbo stations, on comcast about anything you get on them stations you can get ondemand so that shouldnt be a issue. As far as 1200 for tivos. Cant help you there but i sure wouldnt be paying it.

»www.tivo.com/discover/cable

Access to XFINITY On Demand exists in:
Colorado*
Fresno, CA
Indiana*
Kansas City, MO*
Maryland*
Miami, FL/South Florida
Michigan*
Minnesota
New England/Boston Area
New Jersey
Olathe, KS
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA/Tri-State Area
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
San Francisco Bay Area
Santa Barbara, CA
Seattle/Tacoma, WA & Western WA*
Washington DC
West Virginia*
Virginia

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region. Please enter your zip code below to confirm it is available in your specific area.

also no BTN ALT's in HD

Premier League Extra Time is a joke on comcast vs others

»Premier League Extra Time

IF you use Comcast's own boxes you are looking at $9-$10 an outlet after the first one.

both directv and U-verse have some channels that are not on most Comcast systems.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
reply to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

you won't get the out of market regional sports networks with Comcast in MOST AREAS.
You also lose nfl sunday ticket. Plus the x1 isn't available in ALL areas yet but will be by the end of the year. Plus you can't pause or rewind live tv on the satellite boxes on the x1 whole home service.
If your area doesn't have x1 basically all you can do on the satellite boxes with anyroom is watch live and recorded tv. You can't record or delete shows like on the x1, hopper or genie.
With Comcast you get access to the sub channels plus some channels from surrounding markets if they are carried on your system. For instance with satellite I would lose my local university channel, this tv, METV, wtae, wpxi and kdka that I can only get via cable or antenna. Plus I would lose access to watch espn, watch abc and other online sources that are ONLY available on cable.
Also You have to compare packages and what channels you want.
I'm sure if you called directv and told them you are thinking about switching to Comcast they will work with you.
I'm also sure if you called Comcast and told them you wanted to switch from directv they will offer you some sort of special.

I don't subscribe to Sunday Ticket but I would have liked the Red Zone channel, which Direct TV have denied me, while some people have reported being able to get it as a standalone.

I definitely need to dump my 6 Mbps U-Verse connection that has grown to almost $50 a month.

The Comcast package I'm looking at is 25 Mbps connection and 200 channels, including HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, Red Zone channel (may be part of some sports package) for $120 a month first year and $139 a month second year.

I already pay more than $120 to Direct TV alone for 2 HD DVRs, HBO and Showtime.

I heard the Genie is great, especially the HR44. But there was no way I was going to pay them $400 upfront, which is the standard upgrade price, and however much it costs in whole home, DVR fee, mirroring fee, etc.

They've knocked it down to $49 plus tax for the Genie and a Genie Mini But that leaves them still around the same price as the Comcast Double Play package and then I'd still have to pay for Internet on top.

Best Internet only package from Comcast is like $30 a month for 6 months and then it goes to regular prices.

So unless they also knock off at least $40 the programming bill, I would be paying more to Direct TV over two years, even if I had to shell out $1200 for Tivos.

But my concern with Comcast is picture quality and Internet reliability. I had Comcast years ago and there were outages of Internet (reset the cable modems a lot) and picture quality.

Also not sure if the old RG59 coax in my house, which is about 30 years old, could handle the MOCA networking between the Tivo and the Tivo Mini.

Merlin50

@comcast.net
reply to wco
I just switched from directv to comcast. I am happy. I got a very good install and the internet speeds are 5 times the speed of DSL I had before. I formerly had directv HR22 which is an awful DVR-so slow to respond. Comcast DVRs (I did not get X1) are much better. HD picture is slightly better on Directv. ON demand is much better on comcast-directv does not really have it as you have to use your internet connection which in my situation was slow. I am getting more sports channels with PAC12 network. Channel HD vs SD lineup is screwed up on Comcast but you get use to it and they usually give you a prompt if the program is also available in HD-you hit enter and you go to the HD channel.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
So I try to order service, which would be a 2-year commitment, $120 a month the first year, $140 a month the second year.

I would use my own modem and buy a Tivo.

The option for install is $10 to ship out a self install kit or $40 for installation. I can pick up the kit because I know where the local office is. But online site doesn't give you that option.

Go to chat and they tell me I can't use self-install because the tap is cold, so I'd have to pay $40.

Has anyone been able to get this waived for new subscribers? They claim it would normally be $131. Like who would pay anywhere near that amount so they can pay $100+ a month?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
if the tap is disconnected you have to pay the fee. But you can call Comcast and see what you get. Tell them you want to switch from directv.

wco

@sbcglobal.net
They said when I get my first bill, they would credit it, though it's on there now, in the email confirmation.

FureverFurry
Premium
join:2012-02-20
Wyoming, MI
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to wco
FWIW, I'm hoping to switch TO Direct TV from Comcast mainly because of boxes that bipolar personalities (switch themselves on and off) despite having a good signal; horrible customer service and the ever increasing rates, and unhonored promotions. I'd rather owe money to an alleged Mafiosa than call "tech" support ...

If you go with their HSI and buy your own modem, keep your receipt. Have it bronzed as there's a nasty tendency for owned equipment to somehow wind up as Comcast's equipment. It IS nice and fast ...! Usually.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to wco
I switched this month, mostly because Comcast finally came and finished their build in our subdiv. I got sick of "playing the game" with DirecTV every 6 months - not to say I won't have to do that with Comcast. But we decided we're going to drop all pay-TV anyway, except our regional reps threw out a good enough offer to put up 12 months of TV on our package for basically no extra charge. Once that's done, TV will probably go too.

LoveHD

join:2011-07-31
reply to Merlin50
said by Merlin50 :

I just switched from directv to comcast. I am happy. I got a very good install and the internet speeds are 5 times the speed of DSL I had before. I formerly had directv HR22 which is an awful DVR-so slow to respond. Comcast DVRs (I did not get X1) are much better. HD picture is slightly better on Directv. ON demand is much better on comcast-directv does not really have it as you have to use your internet connection which in my situation was slow. I am getting more sports channels with PAC12 network. Channel HD vs SD lineup is screwed up on Comcast but you get use to it and they usually give you a prompt if the program is also available in HD-you hit enter and you go to the HD channel.

I wonder if any company can really be distinguished as having the absolute best picture quality.

The programmers are the ones who send the signals.

If a company has HD programming that breaks up, with pixellation on this and/or that channel, those would represent strikes against the cable teleivision provider. (No denying that.) It's probably due to poor management from engineering.

Wouldn't this be just a reliability-with-delivery and not a picture-quality issue?

Wco

@comcast.net
Got it installed yesterday.

Speeds are great and picture looks good. Might be a bit softer than Direct TV on the NFL game last night.

One big thing though is that Comcast only has one HD channel of the premiums, so that means waiting until 9 PM PST for a lot of HBO and Showtime shows. On Direct TV, I could get both east and west coast feeds, so could watch 3 hours earlier. Same with a lot of other cable channels too.

They have the SD versions of the east coast feeds though.

Any chance they will expand capacity and add those east coast channels?

mikedz4

Weirton, WV
nope. Be happy they have the east coast feeds there. Here on the east coast we don't get west coast feeds.