uniqs
share rss forum feed

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

[Internet] Buffalo area upgrade or something at about 02:15 on 2

I dont' know what happened, but I see in my SB6120 logs that it lost synchronization and rebooted at about 02:15 on 21-Aug. When I woke up, because I didn't seem to have any Internet connectivity, and I've seen some whackiness before with these automatic reboots, I manually rebooted the modem again from the Web interface. Still nothing. So I rebooted my (Linux) router. Well, that seemed to fix the basic connectivity issue, but I had lost the lease I had on an (IPv4) address I had had for I-don't-know-how-many months.

The weirdest part of this has been that there used to be nearly constant activity such that the LINK light on the modem rarely STOPPED flashing. While running tcpdump, previously you'd have seen lots and lots of ARP traffic, lots of DHCP discover/offer/etc. stuff, and an occasional broadcast from the router (can't remember...IGMP? RIP? something like that). NOW though, it's just the opposite. The LINK LED is mostly solid, indicating no traffic. tcpdump confirms that instead of a flood of 5-10 ARP requests per second, it's just an occasional blip. It's as if TWC has segmented off its network so it's a LOT less busy.

For that, I guess I should say, thanks.

Now...as there has been a lot of IPv6 chatter recently, I was hoping the reason this reboot happened is that we gained that functionality. But no dice: the one test system I have didn't show any replies to a PD request :-( Or maybe I'm doing it wrong; I don't know.

If you're in the Buffalo, NY area (I'm in northern Cheektowaga, if that makes any difference), one, are you seeing similar reductions in overall network "chatter?" And two, how soon do you think it'll be before we have native IPv6 addressing?

--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

Re: [Internet] Buffalo area upgrade or something at about 02:15

said by rchandra:

I dont' know what happened, but I see in my SB6120 logs that it lost synchronization and rebooted at about 02:15 on 21-Aug. When I woke up, because I didn't seem to have any Internet connectivity, and I've seen some whackiness before with these automatic reboots, I manually rebooted the modem again from the Web interface. Still nothing. So I rebooted my (Linux) router. Well, that seemed to fix the basic connectivity issue, but I had lost the lease I had on an (IPv4) address I had had for I-don't-know-how-many months.

The weirdest part of this has been that there used to be nearly constant activity such that the LINK light on the modem rarely STOPPED flashing. While running tcpdump, previously you'd have seen lots and lots of ARP traffic, lots of DHCP discover/offer/etc. stuff, and an occasional broadcast from the router (can't remember...IGMP? RIP? something like that). NOW though, it's just the opposite. The LINK LED is mostly solid, indicating no traffic. tcpdump confirms that instead of a flood of 5-10 ARP requests per second, it's just an occasional blip. It's as if TWC has segmented off its network so it's a LOT less busy.

For that, I guess I should say, thanks.

Now...as there has been a lot of IPv6 chatter recently, I was hoping the reason this reboot happened is that we gained that functionality. But no dice: the one test system I have didn't show any replies to a PD request :-( Or maybe I'm doing it wrong; I don't know.

If you're in the Buffalo, NY area (I'm in northern Cheektowaga, if that makes any difference), one, are you seeing similar reductions in overall network "chatter?" And two, how soon do you think it'll be before we have native IPv6 addressing?

could have been for more DOCSIS channels on the downstream for bonding? I know that TWC is working towards clearing out room for 8 downstream channels total on the internet in almost all markets if not all markets.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to rchandra

Re: [Internet] Buffalo area upgrade or something at about 02:15

This happened a few years ago when Time Warner did some node splitting out in North Tonawanda to help with congestion in my part of the area. This was shortly after Time Warner Cable took over Adelphia before DOCSIS 3.0 was really a thing. For a few days, ARP Traffic was minimal (quite nice), but as folks began to reboot their equipment and as more customers started to get connected up, the traffic simply picked back up.

It could also be possible that Time Warner is starting to filter off ARP traffic a bit more in general. As for IPv6? Hopefully very, very soon. I'd expect to see IPv6 by the fall time. Verizon (my current ISP) needs to get on the ball more with their IPv6 roll-out.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
Weeks later, thankfully the traffic seems to remain minimal. I'm going to guess TWC did an upgrade on the CMTS so that broadcasts are reduced, such as keeping a MAC address/IP address mapping, and satisfying ARP requests without actually doing the broadcast (or possibly satisfying those requests from the DHCP server, as that's what's really keeping track of the MAC to IP address mapping).
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
Depending where you are in buffalo, there have been several upgrades to local CMTS that would explain what you are seeing.