Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rdonchez

join:2010-07-17
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

[Phone] RCN Phone Service Question - Bethlehem, PA

It is my understanding that the phone service is all digital. When you are on the phone does it use a portion of your Internet speed? If so is the 25/2 Internet speed sufficient? Thanks.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA

Re: [Phone] RCN Phone Service Question

Also, is the phone modem separate from the cable modem or one unit? Can you still byom with the phone service in the lehigh valley?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
yes for modems for internet - eMTA's are 911 certified - so most likely not (until we hear different)

»RCN Forum FAQ »What are the RCN Approved (BYOM) Modems?

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez

Re: [Phone] RCN Phone Service Question - Bethlehem, PA

Are the modems that you have to use with phone service docis 3.0?

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
No, some are DOCSIS 2.0 . The rough number is 0.48 MB per minute of conversation so 480/60/60 kBs is not very much of 2 Mbs.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1
reply to rdonchez
No, RCN's phone service delivered via EMTA bandwidth is not a part of your internet service flow. It's a dedicated network for providing phone service.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by negativeduck:

RCN's phone service.. is a dedicated network for providing phone service.

Thank you for that helpful comment. Can you point to an RCN page that gives some technical details? If not can you supply a technical phrase for this type of protocal? Does it offer some significant operational advantages over BASICTALK from Walmart? Or Vonage, or MagicJack, etc.

rdonchez

Bethlehem, PA
reply to rdonchez
Is it possible to request a Docis 3.0 model with install?

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

3 edits
said by rdonchez:

Is it possible to request a Docis 3.0 model with install?

Well it doesn't hurt to make a request. I did ask for one myself and was turned down, as DOCSIS 2.0 is sufficient for 25 Mbs.

However, you never know when a policy change may go into effect. RCN may find it easier to issue DOCSIS 3.0 modems so that upgrading will be easier since it won't involve an equipment change.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Pacomartin
said by Pacomartin:

Thank you for that helpful comment. Can you point to an RCN page that gives some technical details? If not can you supply a technical phrase for this type of protocal? Does it offer some significant operational advantages over BASICTALK from Walmart? Or Vonage, or MagicJack, etc.

So this is a good question one that I'm sure marketing would love to offer up some great words. But since we can say technical I'll say this. While all of those providers are likely supporting a variety of codecs since our network is last mile we can run everything with lower amount of compression. Better fidelity but hey it's a phone call right? This does tend to lend to better support for faxing or old style analog phone if that's something you need to support. Now the biggest advantage here is with every other provider your phone is at the mercy of the internet well outside of RCN's control. If your phone doesn't work we can see it end to end on our phone. If your with them you may run into the ping pong "our network is up talk to your ISP", "We are up talk to your phone company or $point in-between". Likewise our systems come with batteries and are certified working with most every alarm company. Where you standard internet "VoIP" providers often drive the security firm to sell you a cell backup because of the number of failure points.

In our case generally your packets are less than 4 hops to the actual phone switch. When you goto an outside provider your going to be at least 6 but likely 10 or more. This isn't specifically a problem but since you say operationally this gives an idea of how many external factors can influence your service. But like all products there are people who will say they've never had a problem. There are people who would say they've had nothing but problems on both sides of the table.

and while I say this with an entirely unbiased opinion and everything our service is awesome we rock! Ok I might be a little biased
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
said by negativeduck:

So this is a good question one that I'm sure marketing would love to offer up some great words.

Actually I've never seen anything posted on website by marketing, and it seems like they feel that addressing the issue will simply mean that they lose business. I think it may be a mistake.

Although the home has been receiving phone service from RCN for about 6 years, the Arris Cable Telephony Modem was installed about two years ago. It was my understanding that the old system used the copper lines from Verizon.

At the very least you are paying $13.74/month for Federal Subscriber Line Charge and taxes. Frankly I didn't know if under the Arris modem was just the equivalent circuitry of a MagicJack.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
So perhaps were thinking of this in two different ways. Once you connect a phone to the emta it's copper, just like a normal phone. It's the same basic technology that everything has used for a long time on the "phone cord". The EMTA acts as a transport that's where things change. Now regarding old phone service while there were spots that used to have a VZ resale I think (but could be wrong) those have been gone for a really long time. What you likely had (if you had a big white box on the side of your house) was kind of a pre-curser to the EMTA. It still used coax for phone and RF transmission but it was in a different band and used a very limited modulation scheme.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA

1 edit
I don't remember what it was. I just remember that I cut away the old phone line and took down the Bell box on the side of the house. The technician said as of two years ago I no longer needed it

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA
"similar" to != Leased from. Yea the old box was the RSU the older standard for delivering phone over a cabletv plant. And you didn't need it because services were migrated to the EMTA. Just like today as far as a customer is concerned the phone works the same. The intermediary transport system is irrelevant Much like if you call someone Florida that call could go analog fiber electrical and back again but in the end the end point of the phone is the same.

Am I not understanding your question?
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

Pacomartin

Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
Well I cut down the 100' length of phone cable running from the utility pole to the house. Since Verizon is now charging $60/mo for phone with unlimited nationwide calling, and RCN is only charging $30/mo for the same service (or less if bundled) there is no chance that we, or whomever buys the house will want regular phone anymore.
I took down the phone line because snow and ice tends to pull it down, and the phone box is covered with spider sacs.