spc
Search similar:

uniqs

germ
join:2006-09-30
Long Beach, CA

germ

Digital Direct Marketing

I received an email to my @verizon.net email account today telling me I'm part of a targeted advertising program called 'Digital Direct Marketing'. I don't like these sorts of programs so I thought I should give a heads up to others that don't regularly check their @verizon.net email account.

Here are the key points from the FAQ page.
quote:
What information will Verizon use to make online ads more relevant to me?
The information we use to help advertisers determine you are part of the audience they want to reach includes the postal address we have for you and certain consumer information about your Verizon products and services (such as broadband and video features) as well as demographic and interest categories provided to us by other companies (such as gender, age range, sports fan, frequent diner, or pet owner). As part of this program, we do not share information that identifies you personally outside of Verizon.. You can learn about Verizon’s ad practices by visiting Verizon's Privacy Policy

Here’s an example: A local restaurant may want to advertise only to people who live within 10 miles and tend to be frequent diners, and we might help deliver that ad on a website without sharing information that identifies you personally.
quote:
How will I see Digital Direct Marketing?
You’ll see ads on the websites you visit in the same way you see them today; however, some of the ads may be more relevant to you. For example, a business using our program could offer coupons and promotions for products or services based on your address, your interests or demographics, or the Verizon products and services you have.
»www.verizon.com/Support/ ··· 032.htm#

There is a link at that FAQ page where you can opt out.

While I'm on the topic of privacy. Here's a plugin for your web browser that stops ad companies from tracking you. »www.disconnect.me/