Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Cloneman

Premium Member

to Cloneman

Re: [TV] Can I order FibeTV on a different phone line than inter

> If you get fibeTV, you'll most likely get provisioned to ~ 35 / 10

Why is so much channel-capacity allocated to uploading? Isin't that wasted in the vast majority of use-cases? Why not shift the ratio to be more in favor of the download direction?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

said by sm5w2:

Why is so much channel-capacity allocated to uploading? Isin't that wasted in the vast majority of use-cases? Why not shift the ratio to be more in favor of the download direction?

I can't speak regarding the technical aspects, but from a marketing aspect it allows them to one up Rogers. Also a while back, Bell claimed in their marketing that they had the fastest speeds in Ontario and then they put a disclaimer in the fine print stating that they were simply referring to the upstream.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

There's no such ratio in play when it comes to determining the speeds on downstream and upstream. You're implying (for example on 35/10) that there's some global cap on speed at 45Mbps and it has to be split between the two streams. That's not the case. Decreasing the upload doesn't allow the download to be increase.

They physically operate in different frequency bands. What determines speeds on either stream is frequency allocated, modulation and encapsulation. Why do you think ADSL~ADSL2+ was stuck at 800kbps~1Mbps for so long despite the downlooad kept increasing to 24Mbps?

The ratio of frequency allocated to download compared to upload on either DSL or Cable as always been heavily tilted to download.

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

1 edit

sm5w2

Premium Member

> There's no such ratio in play when it comes to determining the speeds on downstream and upstream.

I thought that there is a finite number of tones that you can have on a line, and that you have to allocate some of them in a ratio for downloading vs uploading - meaning that some that are used for uploading could be re-assigned for downloading, thereby increasing the data-rate in the download direction.

>The ratio of frequency allocated to download compared to upload on either DSL
> or Cable has always been heavily tilted to download.

I wouldn't call a ratio of 35:10 to be "heavily" in favor of downloading. Look at my profile (7040:800) - that ratio favors downloading more than twice as much as 35:10 does.