spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ualdayan
join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to greg925

to greg925

Re: [Business] Comcast Business Class Internet new plans ?

Called in, said I wanted to upgrade to a new speed tier, and the phone rep said they recently changed up their tiers and read off the new tiers the website has. I told her I wanted the Deluxe 50 (thinking of going up to the 75, $200 was always too much to consider, but $150...maybe.) The only catch is they don't have the ability to change your plan over the phone right now, they have to send it to somebody else internally to have the change over made. That means your modem doesn't go offline when you're on the phone - instead it could reboot anytime over the next 3 business days and you won't know when.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by ualdayan:

The only catch is they don't have the ability to change your plan over the phone right now, they have to send it to somebody else internally to have the change over made.

Not what I experienced. I called in, rep put me on hold, came back and stated change to my acocunt was made and that he was going to reboot the SMC. In less than a minute after he told me he was going to reboot, I was up and running on the new tier. I call BS on the rep telling you that there was no way to do it over the phone.

GotNoRice
Internet Cynic
join:2001-12-04
Lakeport, CA

GotNoRice to Thordrune

to Thordrune
I don't understand how an SB6121 would prevent you from achieving 75Mbps?

My SB6121 doesn't have any problem even with 100Mbit. This is from a typical bittorrent download, as monitored from my PFSense router:

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well a 6121 has upto 4 downstream channels
at 38mbit per
thats 150mbit

not 75 is roughly half the total shared bandwidth available to that modem, that a bit to close to full usage for me.

So if that set of 4 channels is congested (by say 2 others on the 50 plan) then you might have issues

the 6141 with 8 channels has upto 304 down so 74 is just under a quarter of max capacity.

AWS
Long Time Gone
join:2000-07-01
New Port Richey, FL

AWS to greg925

to greg925
Called in today. Woman I got on the phone said while pricing is on the website the boot files are not ready for existing customers. I told her about this thread and she just said sorry sir but they're not ready. She told me to call back in about a week.

I guess I either got a rep that has no clue or it's not available in Joliet yet.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Call back and try again, maybe she just was misinformed.
ualdayan
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to ropeguru

to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

said by ualdayan:

The only catch is they don't have the ability to change your plan over the phone right now, they have to send it to somebody else internally to have the change over made.

Not what I experienced. I called in, rep put me on hold, came back and stated change to my acocunt was made and that he was going to reboot the SMC. In less than a minute after he told me he was going to reboot, I was up and running on the new tier. I call BS on the rep telling you that there was no way to do it over the phone.

Hmm, weird. I was told something about them 'not having the plan codes' as the reason they couldn't do it while I was still on the phone.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to GotNoRice

Premium Member

to GotNoRice

Two TWiT videos+AMD drivers+Nvidia drivers
Every area is different. I was only able to run flat out with practically no fluctuation at 7 AM. Even at 1 AM it was jittery. During the evening, it usually bounces between 35-65 Mbps; tonight it's doing a bit better than earlier.

It does the same thing whether I'm doing a couple of downloads via my browser, or loading up 10 Ubuntu torrents. Plenty of RAM and CPU to spare on my router. Upstream speed has been flawless though, aside from bursts of noise causing my modem to reboot (ugh, don't get me started...).

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to ualdayan

Premium Member

to ualdayan
Guess it could have just been an issue with your local office you deal with.
WB3FFV
join:2001-12-11
Abingdon, MD

WB3FFV to greg925

to greg925
Called in to update from the 50/10 we had to the 100/20, and the first person I talked to said it required a new 2 or 3 year contract. Called back later, got a lovely gal that then told me I could save money going to a 2/3yr contract, and I explained I didn't do that to get the service. She was like no problem, and made the change for me while I was on the phone.

So I guess the moral of that one is, they will try and re-contract you (can't blame them for that), but you don't have to if your an existing customer. I am not happily running along with 100/20, now all I need is IPv6 to be complete..
ualdayan
Antioch, TN

ualdayan to pflog

to pflog
said by pflog:

Call back and try again, maybe she just was misinformed.

Now that I've thought about it, maybe those of us that they have to send to someone else (like me), or others who were told the modem configs weren't ready don't have the SMC modem? Each modem has it's own unique boot files, and maybe they only made them for the base SMC model so far.

I have an Arris 820A because my SMC was acting flaky, a tech comes out, tries to swap it out for an SMC he had on the truck and the one he had was DOA. I didn't use static IP, and I always hated that even with the SMC having your true router in DMZ it still was double NATed causing problems with anything that uses loopback so I just had give me a pure modem (no built in router to mess things up).

Everybody that ran into one issue or another - do you guys have SMC modems or something else?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

I happen to have one of the 8x4 new Netgear devices, and it was provisioned fine. But you may be onto something...it may not be a case of "not smc" but rather specific to certain modems.

AWS
Long Time Gone
New Port Richey, FL

AWS to ualdayan

to ualdayan
I have an SMC. I tried again today. Got different person, but, got the same line. No boot files ready for the new speeds.

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

1 edit

GeekInfoNow

I am thinking of going to business class for the 50mb down. I have my own modem so my rep states i can get it for 99.95 a month. The thing that is getting me is the "installation fee". They want me to give a two year contract and $99 for install. Any way around this? Also is anyone getting better pricing plans for new customers? The modem I have is the Motorola Surfboard SB6141. Can i use that with business class? Thanks

Horse_Trader
@comcast.net

1 recommendation

Horse_Trader

Anon

said by GeekInfoNow:

I am thinking of going to business class for the 50mb down. I have my own modem so my rep states i can get it for 99.95 a month. The thing that is getting me is the "installation fee". They want me to give a two year contract and $99 for install. Any way around this? Also is anyone getting better pricing plans for new customers? The modem I have is the Motorola Surfboard SB6141. Can i use that with business class? Thanks

Officially, the only non Comcast issued modems that can be used with business class are the SB6120 and the SB6121, but lately Comcast seems to be lightening up on that requirement...so YMMV.

As for the installation fee, that too is officially required (the amount depends on the local franchise and the length of the contract). However, that can sometimes be negotiated to a lower amount (or even removed) if you are an experienced horse trader.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to GeekInfoNow

Premium Member

to GeekInfoNow
Definitely YMMV with the modem, as stated above. Some people reported getting other modems, such as a Zoom 5341J, provisioned for business-class. I tried and was unsuccessful. It probably depends on the area.

The normal thing with the contract from what I've seen is longer contracts are given lower install fees. I did a three-year contract and it had a $49 install fee. Ask your rep if they have varying contract lengths.

$99.95 is good for business 50/10, the official price is $109.95.
ualdayan
Antioch, TN

1 edit

ualdayan to GeekInfoNow

to GeekInfoNow
said by GeekInfoNow:

Back when I signed up here's what they told me: Sign up for 3 years and we'll give you the install free, 2 years $99, 1 year $199, no contract / month to month $250. I did the $250 because I wasn't sure if Comcast had improved in my area since DOCSIS 3 had come out (I'd dropped the residential a few years before and went to DSL for reliability).

Also: Tried calling again today, still no luck with new speeds for me, said the ticket to configure my modem was still active so the people on the back end that have to do it manually haven't gotten to me yet.

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

GeekInfoNow to Horse_Trader

to Horse_Trader
said by Anon80:

As for the installation fee, that too is officially required (the amount depends on the local franchise and the length of the contract). However, that can sometimes be negotiated to a lower amount (or even removed) if you are an experienced horse trader.

I am going to try and get it waived but I am having no luck. 2 year $99 is whats on my docusign with a $99.95 rate. I did try and get the 88.95 month but was a no go...
taz291819
join:2002-08-31
Huntsville, AL

taz291819 to greg925

to greg925
Called them last week, first CSR said we couldn't get the upgrade for either one of our locations. He then transferred us to someone else, who said they could do it, but since we were out of contract, we'd have to renew it.

After about 10 minutes of back-and-forth, they finally said we don't need to renew our contract, and actually our price was going down for the new speeds (we were paying $199 for 50/10, changed to $160 for 100/20).

Our sales office in Huntsville was upgraded just fine, getting 100/20 speeds. But noticed our studio in Florence was only getting 100/10. Called them back, and they said no, our contract was for 100/10, not 100/20, even though we were getting 100/20 in Huntsville.

After more back-and-forth, they finally said, "Yeah, you are supposed to be getting 100/20". A couple of hours later, we get an email saying that 100/20 isn't offered in Florence, only 100/10.

We don't care about the download, we need the upload.

Vik
@comcast.net

Vik

Anon

I have the business premium 27/7, and paying 119 including the modem rental costs. I called them to get it changed to deluxe 50/10 and they said no problem will upgrade and after a few minutes tell me that that service is not available in my area and they are still upgrading.

I wonder if they are bluffing because last year when i installed my business class with the docsis 3 modem the technician said i could get speeds upto 100mpbs in my area depending on the plan i choose and its only a matter of calling on the phone and they changing it through the computer, no home call required. I informed the tech support guy about this and he kept on saying the same thing that services are not available in my area.

Does anyone know if really any special equipment lines are needed in the neighborhood to upgrade from 27/7 to 50/10. Seems to me that i am getting tricked :-(

AWS
Long Time Gone
New Port Richey, FL

AWS to greg925

to greg925
Called back for a third time today. Got a man on the line this time. Last 2 times were women. He said no problem and within 10 minutes I had the upgrade to deluxe 75.

Third time is a charm I guess.
rmdir
join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

rmdir to greg925

to greg925
If you are signing a new contract, ask them to remove the auto renew provision.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by rmdir:

If you are signing a new contract, ask them to remove the auto renew provision.

the auto renew provision isn't in the contract... it's in the TOS...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to greg925

MVM

to greg925
Just a heads up to those who changed plans and are now paying more than you were previously.

Be prepared for a larger next bill, due to Comcast prorating the cost of the new plan.

I am paying ~$150 instead of $130 this month. I imagine when in your billing cycle you signed up will affect how much more this next bill will be.

rwong48
join:2002-11-10
San Jose, CA

rwong48 to greg925

to greg925
Hmm I guess it would've been good to link to this in the OP: »business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans

Our office was billed 22Mbps for $100 (+ $5 unused TV, lol) but our modem config appears to be on 27/7. We just upgraded to 50/10. Thanks!

They also offered us $10 off 50Mbps, $20 off 75Mbps, and $30 off the 100Mbps plans. In any case, we're on a new 2-year contract.
ualdayan
Antioch, TN

ualdayan

said by rwong48:

Hmm I guess it would've been good to link to this in the OP: »business.comcast.com/smb ··· et/plans

Our office was billed 22Mbps for $100 (+ $5 unused TV, lol) but our modem config appears to be on 27/7. We just upgraded to 50/10. Thanks!

They also offered us $10 off 50Mbps, $20 off 75Mbps, and $30 off the 100Mbps plans. In any case, we're on a new 2-year contract.

Hmm, they didn't ask me to sign any new contract, but honestly - for $30 off I'd move up to the 100Mbps tier and sign a contract. Uverse is no real competition at these kind of speeds, so not like I have anywhere else to really go.

Anyway - today my modem went offline, came back up, I went around trying to get my stuff working again after the outage (the important money affecting stuff anyway) and then it went out again a 2nd time just a bit later. When it reconnected it had this config file now: d11_m_cm820a_bciwidebanddeluxe_c05.cm
JDrive
Premium Member
join:2010-05-31
Myersville, MD

1 edit

JDrive to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
I am currently on the old Deluxe (50/10) plan. I assume I just need to call in and ask to upgrade to the new Deluxe 100 Plus plan. Looks like my billing rates will go up $10, which I don't mind for a 100% speed increase.

Update:
On the new plan now, they replaced my Arris modem with their Netgear Gateway. I set my current router to bridge mode. Only issue is that I am currenly getting ~3Mbps less than 20Mbps upload - »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3222.png . Overall a smooth process and they didn't mention any contract extensions.

ComcastSub
@comcast.net

ComcastSub to greg925

Anon

to greg925
I am a Business subscriber, with the 22/7 plan at $109/mo. I called Comcast, choosing the phone menu option of upgrading/downgrading service, and was able to upgrade to the 50/10 plan, with no additional cost or contract renewal. The whole process took 10 minutes, and the speed increased when the router rebooted.

BigRay5264
join:2004-03-14
Alameda, CA

BigRay5264 to greg925

to greg925
called in to upgrade and remove Netgear gateway from my bill

evilpeppard
Always Fight For Freedom
Premium Member
join:2003-08-20
Aurora, CO

evilpeppard to greg925

Premium Member

to greg925
Glad I saw this thread, and the changes in Comcast Internet plans.

Just called Comcast. My Business Class contract at home was over, so I talked to Customer Retention, and they gave me a sweet deal if I agreed to sign for another 3 years.

We were on a 20/5 tier, which has now been removed from their plans. I could either go down to the 16/3 starter tier, saving $10 per month, or I could move up to the 50/10 tier for $109.95. They also gave me $10 off per month for my static IP, so my static is only $4.95/mo instead of $14.95, and they waived my modem rental fee, all for the next three years. Our pricing is locked in as well; $114.85 for three years!

We are VERY happy about that, and everyone we worked with at Comcast was superb. Comcast customer service has always been great to work with for us.

I even talked to them about our Business Class for work. We were paying $199.95 for the 50/10 plan, and now upgraded to 100/20 plan without a penny difference in our plan.

Thanks Comcast!