how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nordy

join:2007-10-20
kudos:1

MySQL trigger before insert and auto-increment data

I'd like to update a column in my table with the country code and the new id which is an auto-increment value.

BEGIN
SET new.key = concat(new.countryCode,new.id);
END

countryCode works fine, but the id is always blank. How can I achieve something like this? The id comes from an auto-increment column.

I know it's not working because it's generated after the insert. So how can I do something like this?

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
Cast the numeric id to a char type.

Nordy

Umm... you mean change it from INT to CHAR? What do you mean by cast the numeric id to a char type?

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to Nordy
CONCAT takes strings as arguments
SET new.key = concat(new.countryCode,CAST(new.id AS VARCHAR(20));

Side note - if you want to use this column as a lookup, you may be better off creating an index from the id and countrycode fields especially if you'll have many records - string lookups are slow, int lookups are fast.

Nordy

Somehow, VARCHAR(X) wont work in the trigger. I can only use CHAR. And with CHAR the result is still blank. Only the country code, no new Id. Someone said this was not possible since it's a new Id...

cowboyro
Premium
Shelton, CT
reply to Nordy
Does the trigger fire before of after the insert?

hairspring

join:2007-11-23
Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Nordy
You won't see a value for the NEW row id until the row is inserted. This would suggest an AFTER trigger, but the subject table cannot be updated this way..... so it's a bit of a catch 22 to do with auto-increment columns.

2 Options:

1) Control inserts to this table with a stored procedure, and calculate the 'key' column's data after the insert. Wrap the INSERT and UPDATE in a transaction.

2) Your 'key' column is redundant, since it can be constructed at query time. Provide a view that calculates 'key' to your devs and block access to the base table.

#1 is faster, since the data is stored and can be indexed.
#2 simplifies the base tables.

Nordy

reply to cowboyro
@cowboyro before Insert
@hairspring I'm thinking of doing a trigger that's called after Insert, that'll call another stored procedure. How's that?

hairspring

join:2007-11-23
Oakville, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by Nordy:

@hairspring I'm thinking of doing a trigger that's called after Insert, that'll call another stored procedure. How's that?

I've never attempted that. Depending on the storage engine you're using, you may run into locking issues.

Nordy

I did. I've given up on this