vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
join:2007-12-07
Halifax, NS
kudos:1

1 edit

Toyota Canada agrees to settle claims

It's being reported Toyota has agreed to settle claims for owners having the sticky accelerator problem in 2009-2010...

»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···3931866/

Post this in case there are any Toyota owners here who experienced the stick gas pedal issue...

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
Halifax, NS

This news update claims if approved by the courts this settlement involves 1.3 million Toyotas in Canada and worth an estimated $120 million to $140 million...and is one of the biggest recalls in history...

»www.thestar.com/business/economy···lls.html

lugnut

@communications.com

Big whoop. That amounts to about $100 per head. After the lawyers get their cut, figure closer to $60.

At an average out the door price of $20K per vehicle, Toyota collected close to $50 BILLION for those 1.3 Million cars.

Toyota is laughing its ass off at this so called, "settlement."

lugnut

@communications.com

Sorry. Blonde moment. $26 Billion.

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Big whoop. That amounts to about $100 per head. After the lawyers get their cut, figure closer to $60.

At an average out the door price of $20K per vehicle, Toyota collected close to $50 BILLION for those 1.3 Million cars.

So how much do you believe would be a fair compensation for owners who experienced the Toyota sticky pedal?

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to vue666

when Kia re-adjusted its fuel economy ratings due to an error in the testing procedure, my car's revised fuel economy rating went from 6.9l/100kms to 7.2l/100kms...so, a difference of 0.3l/100kms...a somewhat insignificant number, and sort of meaningless anyway...i can change my driving habits to achieve 6.5, or even get it up to 8.5 if i want...in any event, if the car was rated for 7.2 instead of 6.9, it would have had no effect on my decision to purchase it.

either way, every year that i own the car, the dealership records the mileage, and Kia sends me a prepaid Visa card...the amount is calculated by the amount of mileage i put on over that period of time, multiplied by the 0.3 litres of extra fuel i used, multiplied by the average price of fuel in my region for the year...earlier this year was my first refund, and it was about $130...no lawyers, no hassles, just the company saying "We made a mistake, he is some money to cover your loss from what we said it would get, to what it does get"...to me, that is good service.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

Actually, they were caught with their pants down on the fuel economy issue. It wasn't a goodwill gesture, but an agreement with the Competition Bureau that was done to avoid having huge fines levied against them for false advertising.
--
Tom

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

i think it was more of a proactive approach, but whatever...it's better than what most car companies do...if you think Kia was the only one trying to exploit the fuel economy testing, you're being silly...the test is fairly easy to "stage" if you really want to...it's why Transport Canada's figures on fuel economy are pretty much useless...the US's EPA testing methods are much better (in terms of realistic), and TC is likely going to adopt theirs instead.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

lugnut

@communications.com
reply to vue666

said by vue666:

said by lugnut :

So how much do you believe would be a fair compensation for owners who experienced the Toyota sticky pedal?

Hard to say. What do you consider to be fair for a brown shorts moment or two where you take your foot off the gas and the car keeps on accelerating in traffic?

Dunno about you but $60 sounds pretty insulting for a defect that could easily have killed me and my family.

Hell it wouldn't even cover an hour's work at the average garage to try and fix the frigging problem.

vue666
I love Lanny Barbie
Premium
Halifax, NS
reply to vue666

Was anyone actually killed in a Toyota over the sticky gas pedal? Was it ever proven Toyota was completely at fault for this problem?

lugnut

@communications.com

said by vue666:

Was anyone actually killed in a Toyota over the sticky gas pedal? Was it ever proven Toyota was completely at fault for this problem?

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80···_recalls

quote:
As of January 2010, 21 deaths were alleged due to the pedal problem since 2000, but following the January 28 recall, additional NHTSA complaints brought the alleged total to 37.[10][11] The number of alleged victims and reported problems sharply increased following the recall announcements,[10][12] which were heavily covered by U.S. media,[13] although the causes of individual reports were difficult to verify.

Dead men tell no tales...

lugnut

@communications.com

Just as an extra note, none of those deaths ever will be proven in a court of law because generally the terms of a settlement absolve the manufacturer of all guilt and further responsibility.