breese
Premium
join:2000-05-10
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest

Clear QAM

Just over a week ago when I did a channel scan, there were about 10 channels in the 200 range that were showing up with full names.
As of this morning, I do not get any QAM channel names.
Has something changed?
I keep hearing that WOW is moving to use clear QAM unlike other cable companies...

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Is this a new WOW area that they are still transitioning things over? If so, it'll likely take some time to get things solid there. Yes, they will very likely move to full ClearQAM (for basic cable only, obviously) with proper PSIP (channel name, number) data.

I love it. My ~2008 Panasonic Viera I have set up pulling ClearQAM with its own tuner and it gets channel names for all the channels and even NTSC style channel numbering (aka: USA digital is displaying channel 12 rather than something like 75.212)

If it is a long standing WOW area it might also be your set. On the unfortunate side not all TV's respect PSIP data on QAM correctly. Case in point my mom's bedroom TV is a cheap Insignia. It gets channel names but channel numbers are run of the mill QAM numbers so it is real confusing to do direct number entry.
--
I swear, some people should have pace-makers installed to free up the resources. Breathing and heart beat taxes their whole system, all of their brain cells wasted on life support.-two bit brains, and the second bit is wasted on parity! ~head_spaz

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to breese

I have been running a MediaPortal system with a card on the cable.
Up to the last week when I did a scan, I would get about a dozen channels.
I have been on the WOW cable system for years..
Something seems to have changed in the area....

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32

said by breese:

I have been running a MediaPortal system with a card on the cable.
Up to the last week when I did a scan, I would get about a dozen channels.
I have been on the WOW cable system for years..
Something seems to have changed in the area....

Are you still experiencing these issues with ClearQAM channels? I believe I still have your info from a previous issue, so I can have someone look into this if it's still a problem.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
CMTS Operations Engineer

breese
Premium
Arlington Heights, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service
·AT&T Midwest
reply to breese

downloadChannels.zip 94,020 bytes
Dan,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.. Job has been crazy.
It appears sometime toward the end of last someone made a change to a QAM on the Wow cable.
When I do a scan I get to a Specific Freq and the card finds 91 channels
Later (a few channels) and it finds them again, and again...

If you look at the Channels file I have attached, Starting at 08:51:14 you will find the scan found 91 channels
Do a search for channel count and you will see where the same channels are being broadcast over the network...
Now while I do like the 91 are resolving with channel #'s and Channel Names (Very, Very Cool), the amount of time it takes to do a scan is very long... besides, I cannot imagine the amout of bandwidth this has to be taking accross the cable line...

If you have any questions or need more info, just ask....