Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 edit

Norton Identity Safe Standalone 2014 - PITA

Current updated v.2014.5.0.67

Does anyone know how to roll back this ridiculous updated version of Norton Identity Safe to a previous steam-lined version?

This new version is a real PITA and still apparently full of bugs.

Please advise. Thanks.

Leah
--
"Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do."

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
Sachakhand

Re: Norton Identity Safe Standalone 2014 product update

Had a reply from Tony at Symantec and this can not be rolled back.

So, can anyone suggest a simple, secure password toolbar/application (paid or free). I am through with this PITA.

Thanks.
--
"Be simple, be earnest and spread that simplicity throughout everything you do."

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

reply to Sparrow

I've used this for years.
»www.roboform.com/

»www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl···Dr8dL0Oc

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
Sachakhand

Thank you for the recommendation. Looked at a few and this Roboform did catch my eye.

Do you know if it's possible to import the .dat file from Norton's ap?
--

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
·AT&T Midwest

1 recommendation

said by Sparrow:

Do you know if it's possible to import the .dat file from Norton's ap?

I'm the wrong person to ask about that one.
Sorry....
--
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9

2 recommendations

reply to Sparrow

Re: Norton Identity Safe Standalone 2014 - PITA

Export existing as CSV > import Robo > NIS CSV file.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
Sachakhand

Thank you. Was hoping it was that simple.

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Sparrow

I use LastPass. »lastpass.com/

Free for PCs. Uses the cloud for synchronization for use on other PCs. Works with any browser. Paid version allows use with cell phones. There is even a version (LastPass Pocket) that allows for offline use/backup.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Sparrow

+!. I, too, use Lat Pass and found out just how great it was when our main computer died. I merely put it on my Netbook and away I went. I never could remember passwords, so rather than having to write them down, I have LP do it and if needed, can simply send them all to print out too.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
Sachakhand
reply to HA Nut

I would prefer to stay away from the cloud and keep everything local. When traveling, my laptop comes with me and I avoid logging in anywhere other than my laptop.
Still up in the air about the choices offered, but leaning toward RoboForm.

Why Symantec took a perfectly good PW manager and turned it into a monster is beyond me. As a previous staunch supporter of Symantec, I've switched to Kaspersky (after 14 years of NAV/NIS) and prior to this bloated toolbar, my last ounce of faith in Symantec rested with ID Safe... Oh well, all good things must come to an end.
--

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to Sparrow

quote:
I would prefer to stay away from the cloud and keep everything local.
Consider Keepass Password Safe
»keepass.info/index.html
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

3 recommendations

reply to jaykaykay

For the record, I accidentally recommended this. I am still trying to figure out what "recs" stands for. I have no idea so I was clicking around and somehow "wrecked" this?

I would never use ANYTHING in the cloud and certainly not a Password memorizer!

I don't use Password managers since many years ago when I tried Roboform and it blue screened my computer ....it was a major mess. I am NOT implying it would do that NOW to my, or anyone's computer, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it. I just write down all my passwords and keep it in the file drawer next to my computer. Very old fashioned way of doing it.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to Sparrow

Another vote for LastPass.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium
Sachakhand
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

snip...I would never use ANYTHING in the cloud and certainly not a Password memorizer!

I don't use Password managers since many years ago when I tried Roboform and it blue screened my computer ....it was a major mess. I am NOT implying it would do that NOW to my, or anyone's computer, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth about it. I just write down all my passwords and keep it in the file drawer next to my computer. Very old fashioned way of doing it.

I completely agree with you re: the cloud. I avoid any cloud applications no matter who touts them as being "safe".

Right now, I'm still using Norton's ID Safe - I found a way to keep the simple format even though it involves reinstalling it every morning. I uninstall at night and reinstall in the morning. The morning is when I need it the most and if it force-morphs into the new bloated version late in the afternoon, I can live with it for a few hours. A real PITA...

I've never written down my passwords - too paranoid for that. I have close to 200 to keep track of (running a business) and about the only one I ever remember is my PW for here.

Honestly, I'm not wild about any of the ones I've seen so far. Even looked at Kaspersky's, but not much better than the others.