dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Night_Blade
join:2005-05-19

Night_Blade

[Internet] [Sympatico] Using a VersaXpress modem in bridge mode?

Hi guys,

I am on the Bell Sympatico internet service (not fibe) and the 2Wire modem I have had for more than 5 years died on me 2 days ago. That modem had a default admin user name and password and so I had been able to set it up in bridge mode and let my Linksys WRT54GL router set up the pppoe info.

Now I argued with Bell to have them ship me another modem (they wanted to send me a replacement power adapter which I know is not the problem because I tested the adapter) but I am not going to receive it until next week. Since I need to have internet access in the meantime I was thinking of using a Versa vx-ver170m modem I had lying around from my time with colba-net.

I connected it and eventually managed to log into it. However I am having a really hard time setting it to bridge mode as I am having trouble understanding all the configuration options that the versa modem offers. I thought I managed to do it after setting up VPI=0 and VCI=35 but it still does not work. Besides, it still says that it is set up in "Bridging and Routing" mode and I can't figure out how to set it in pure bridge mode and which interface to use (there are so many).

So I am turning towards the experienced people of this forum for a solution. Is what I am doing even possible or is the Bell Sympatico service locked to their modems? Is it a problem using an ADSL2+ modem with a regular DSL service? Are there clear instructions somewhere on how to set up bridge mode on the versa vx-ver170m modem?

Thanks in advance!

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

Re: [Internet] [Sympatico] Using a VersaXpress modem in bridge m

Your VPI/VCI values are correct, just select RFC1483 Bridge, then let the WRT54GL handle the authentication.
Night_Blade
join:2005-05-19

Night_Blade

Hello,

That's what I ended up doing after playing around in the modem menus and clearing all the entries that had been created before. Works like a charm!

Thanks!