spc
uniqs
rino
join:2013-08-23
Milton, ON

rino to Guru

to Guru

Re: [INTERNET] more gb?

I did read the fine prints ... even after 6 months ... when I'll be paying $84.99 (I have Cogeco TV services) - I am sure I can negotitate further down to below $84.99 ... but lets assume, I won't be able to get a better deal than $84.99, their package price still saves a bit compared to Start.ca, and the bandwidth allowance is still 75GB / month more than what Start is offering.

I am not saying that services between Cogeco and Start are good or bad ... I am very happy with the service that I am getting from Start todate ... it is just that the badnwidth limitations right now don't favor me ... I don't download a lot to take advantage of the 2am unlimited window ... it is my kids that stream from youtube during the day ... and my parents that like to stream dramas/shows and live TV talk shows over the net ...

So, overall ... all of my family loves to stream off the internet which kills my bandwidth allocation ... good that currently I am on Start's legacy package that gives me 300Gb per month, but still I am going to go over the allocated limits ... hopefully, school starting in september would help a bit, but I am guess not that much ...
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

I'm just thinking out loud, but it seems that if your primary use of a connection is streaming, then a 60Mbps connection may be overkill. I'm on a measly 10Mbps wireless connection (alas, no Start where I am), and I can stream NetFlix just fine.
So I'm wondering if a better option for you might be to drop the speed profile, say to 45Mbps, but then go to the unlimited bandwidth option. You may not notice the speed difference for what you do, but you'll not have to worry about your cap.
There's an asterisk to that approach too, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Brad.
rino
Milton, ON

rino

I am perfectly fine with lower speed ... BTW ... I am currently on 20Mbps grand-fathered package that Start offered prior to repackaging their offerings. I don't mind being at 20Mbps as long as I can get more bandwidth or unlimited ... but unfortunately, in Cogeco area, I don't see anyone offering unlimited at this point. There are unlimited options available in Rogers area ... which is great, but no use to me
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

Bummer, I didn't realize unlimited wasn't an option for Cogeco connections. Hopefully someday. :-(

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to rino

Premium Member

to rino

The REAL Cost of Cogeco

said by rino:

....I am not saying that services between Cogeco and Start are good or bad ... I am very happy with the service that I am getting from Start todate ... it is just that the bandwidth limitations right now don't favor me ... I don't download a lot to take advantage of the 2am unlimited window ... it is my kids that stream from youtube during the day ... and my parents that like to stream dramas/shows and live TV talk shows over the net....

First of all, it's not called Bandwidth - instead it is called Usage - Both START and Cogeco call it Usage.

Bandwidth is SPEED - such as the 20 Mbps which you have.
[/lecture]

= = = = = = = = = = = =

The points which I mostly wish to make are about what happens at GOUGEco when you exceed that generous looking 375GB Monthly Usage cap of theirs :

(1) They want A WHOLE DOLLAR PER GB for the extra usage.

(2) They want it both on downloads AND uploads.

(3) There is no FREE usage period during the wee hours.

(4) They do not have a maximum excess usage charge limit per month - at least not for their faster plans.

AND

(5) Their usage meter is not accurate, and notifications that you are near or at your cap are spotty - and THEY believe that they are never wrong.

Still thinking about going back to Cogeco ?
Chong6969
join:2008-02-20
Port Colborne, ON

Chong6969

Thats why i'm no longer giving them my money, $82 a mth for a 10mbps connection when i use to hit the $50 Max overage for only going over my limit by 40GB i'm fine with my 6Mbps unlimited for $39.95 THX START U DA BEST ISP EVER!!!
rino
Milton, ON

rino to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
As I stated in my post earlier that I am very happy with Start, but it is only the USAGE that is pushing me to consider other options ... How about TekSavvy? They have $79.99 for unlimited in Cogecoland with 20Mpbs down and 10Up. How are they comparatively?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

all IISPs are better than the incumbents. ive been with teksavvy for 3 years (now nearly 4) and am very happy with em.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to rino

Premium Member

to rino
said by rino:

....How about TekSavvy? They have $79.99 for unlimited in Cogecoland with 20Mpbs down and 10Up. How are they comparatively?

Is TSI advertising the 10Mbps UP now for Cogeco-Land ?

For that matter, is START doing so ?

My understanding was that Cogeco had not yet boosted their OWN retail customers' upstream to that speed for 20Mbps downstream plans - ETA sometime during September.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We're advertising it on the 60Mbps package, and that it's coming to the 20 and 30 plans during August/September.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

A few DSLR posts suggest that some 30 tier customers have it already too, but no 20's so far.

Do not recall what thread/forum, but posted in the last 2 or 3 days.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We're also seeing some of the 30's upgraded, but not all so we haven't updated our web page to officially state it yet.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

I found it : »[INTERNET] Cogeco 10meg Upload

See the more recent posts.