share rss forum feed

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

[Business] VZ going after me again for bandwidth usage. On small

It took a lot of conversation to find out what kind of level they were looking for as the guy wouldn't say. I had to say things like well if my usage went down by 50%... etc... They say I have to bring my usage down by 80-90% (not a bit) by 9/15 or they will disconnect me on 9/18 so we are talking a bandwidth limit of 2-4 TB/month.

This is bullshit. The guy on the phone is really pissing me off too because he is obviously is mistaking me/our previous conversations with someone else or is just flat out lieing.

He said he brought up dedicated options (like metro ethernet) in our previous calls which he never did.

He says that I promised my usage would change even going to small business when in fact I made the opposite argument. I told him on the phone specifically that what was the point of getting a few more $$ out of their customers as my usage would be exactly the same on small business...

I tried to get an answer out of him well what was the point of me even going small business in the first place. He basically made the argument.. well I promised my usage would change... BS. That makes no sense. If my usage was gonna go way down because I stop hosting servers what was the point of going small business in the first place? There wouldn't have been one!

So this is it folks.. I am F*cked. I guess. I knew this was never about running servers.

For everyone who was on VZ's side because I was residential and was running servers well now you know that was a total load of crap as they aren't going to allow my usage period... So much for FIOS being nicer than the competition.. I can do 2-4 TB/month on uverse if I wanted... Sigh..

Needless to say I was pretty pissed off when I received the call. Especially when the guy starts saying I said things which I did not and says he told me things (which he did not). It makes me wish I recorded the damn phone calls.

--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

Re: VZ going after me again for bandwidth usage. On small biz.

Work your way up the food chain would be my advice. Tell them you want it in writing what the bandwidth constraints are on small business.

SIOYGYG

join:2011-01-08
Charlotte, NC
reply to houkouonchi

File a complaint

Geot

@verizon.net

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi

I am curious just what are you hosting that is in such demand and how big is your usage number?

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi

So apparently they make no distinction between residential and business now for bandwidth usage? That would be outright BS.

It's kinda funny they pull this on their own customers like you and me when their backbone is starting to really feel the heat from Quantum + increased Netflix/Youtube traffic when Verizon outright refuses to offer Netflix/Youtube direct peering to alleviate the major problems on their backbone. I'd really love to see the favors granted to Redbox in all this. If so Verizon is doing nothing but shooting themselves in their own foot. Right now all they're trying to do is squeeze money out of both sides like they're the mob or something. Let's review their choices:

Turn on customers AND content providers and piss them off?

Peer with Netflix/Youtube directly to alleviate traffic? Verizon actually offers speeds it can actually support on their backbone rather than trying to chase ridiculous cable company speeds that nobody is even buying because they're all overpriced? Also realize most of the internet traffic currently is going to Netflix/Youtube so you can help you and everyone by offering direct peers and not worry about pissing Redbox off because the only people who use Redbox are the people in line at 711 or Walgreens, not on the internet and fios like most of us.

Verizon clearly has made the wrong choice here.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to houkouonchi

That is pretty disgusting that they tell you to pay for business fios, then tell you it really didn't matter anyways, because the really want you off their network.

What other options(if any) do you have??
--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
reply to houkouonchi

Ouch dude. Definitely work up the food chain and figure out what the deal is. If usage is seriously limited to 4TB/m these days, that's going to be bad news for those getting 500Mbps and using the package to it's potential.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to houkouonchi

2-4TB/month? That doesn't make much sense. I am sure many of their business customers use more than that. And with their new 500Mbps plan, usage will only increase. They must just want to get rid of you.

You need a lot of upload, right? Any other options in your area?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Geot

You see, thats the thing. OP posted something similar months back. Users were asking him what he was hosting, he never said exactly what it is.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Smith6612

Im sure OP's bill is small. Our bill for 2k+ employees is more than 60k a year. I believe its a 400mbps connection from TWC.

Jcink

join:2005-12-19
none

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi

In my opinion Verizon just hates you now because of the media attention that all of your stuff got. They probably just want you to go away and stop using the service so others don't get any ideas that it's "okay" to do such things on FiOS. Their terms of service on both business and residential allows them to do this to you, and that sucks and shouldn't be, but that's how it is.

I had a feeling this was going to happen and that having a business line wasn't going to work out for you when I saw you switched, since yeah, the "business" and residential network is the exact same.

I know plenty of others who are using 6TB-10TB a month and haven't gotten in trouble or gotten any calls, so obviously 2TB-4TB is just an attempt to push you out or get you to stop using the service as you are altogether.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to houkouonchi

The good news is, you're free to switch providers.

chamberc
Premium
join:2008-08-05
Irving, TX
reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

You see, thats the thing. OP posted something similar months back. Users were asking him what he was hosting, he never said exactly what it is.

Yes, it's likely it's not just a usage issue.

HD_Ride
Premium
join:2000-10-18
Jerseyastan
reply to houkouonchi

If VZ is busting your balls and if lower BW on another ISP can work for you cut them loose, it’s a beautiful thing having choices. I have no allegiance to VZ. For us, VZ is only as good as their next negotiation....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Duramax08

said by Duramax08:

At one point I believe he mentioned that he was storing ATSC programs and streaming them to multiple locations for family. These streams are sometimes 18+Mbps, so 1hr of programming is ~8GB. Do that a few hours a day and it starts to add up, but obviously not the bulk of his data usage.

Can't remember if it was the OP or somebody else, but I remember one of the high-usage users in the forums here also had a pretty hefty ranking on a anime torrent site with multi-TB of upload/month.

<more general reply, not to Duramax08>
But all that aside, Verizon knew of his usage and insinuated that if he moved to small biz, everything was OK and acceptable. Now they're saying that was all bullshit, feeding him a bunch of lies, and claiming he agreed to cut his usage. Why would he agree to cut his usage AND still upgrade to small biz? Makes no sense. Whether you agree with his usage or not, Verizon has handled this miserably. If the 20+TB of usage he does is never going to be OK, they should've just said that from the start.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to houkouonchi

The person you spoke with is likely a low level drone, insist to talk with supervisors until this gets resolved. Your on business now, so bandwidth isn't the issue, something else is and only pushing it up the chain will get the low level employee to knock it off with the harassment.

My guess is node congestion, and a local supervisor is trying to get you to leave, without authority to do so, so his/her budget isn't hit with dealing with the traffic

I'd private msg NYCDave, I'm sure he can give you a contact to get this resolved once and for all, now that your on business, you can do whatever you please for bandwidth, that the whole point of that tier

Raphion

join:2000-10-14
Samsara
reply to houkouonchi

Wow, so remind me again... What distinguishes business from residential, other than the price tag? Cause based on this, I'm having a hard time seeing any other difference.....

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to houkouonchi

Was it the same method as last time, did you get a phone call or letter?

It seems like the last time the bandwidth issue was discussed, everyone completely fell for the red herring of the servers on a residential line issue instead of bandwidth consumed. I was afraid this was going to happen Keep us updated on what happens

Expand your moderator at work

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to serge87

said by serge87:

Was it the same method as last time, did you get a phone call or letter?

It seems like the last time the bandwidth issue was discussed, everyone completely fell for the red herring of the servers on a residential line issue instead of bandwidth consumed. I was afraid this was going to happen Keep us updated on what happens

Same method as last time and the same guy... He called me first. He told me I will shortly be getting a letter in the mail.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

Chris123NT

join:2001-11-24
Nesconset, NY
reply to houkouonchi

Ouch dude, this is crazy. Really puts things in perspective now, their level of service for youtube/netflix streaming is pure shit and now they bust on you for using the line to its potential? My worry is that they keep shrinking that magic number and booting more and more people off the network. This is worse than what Optimum was doing back in 02-07 with the upload speed capping.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

reply to houkouonchi

The sad reality is that broadband is provisioned with the idea that people for all intents and purposes do not do much of anything with their connections. Crazy high over-subscription ratios. Assuming that everyone wants a fast connection that can download relatively small things quickly and then over and done with instead of you know actually using the connection. Broadband connections are slowly becoming as useless as cell networks for data services.

Mentioning small business service sounds like some BS to me. If there actually is an issue with congestion which there probably isn't it wouldn't have done anything to resolve it. It sounds as if at this point they just don't want you as a customer. I'd keep pushing this issue further up the food chain.

Ya, it sucks that you did not record the calls. You really should have with how they're toying around with you.

Jcink

join:2005-12-19
none
reply to Raphion

said by Raphion:

Wow, so remind me again... What distinguishes business from residential, other than the price tag? Cause based on this, I'm having a hard time seeing any other difference.....

There isn't on FiOS other than a terms of service that deliberately allows you to host servers and a static IP address as it's an advertised "feature." So you won't be bothered if they find a server.

The business terms however still contain the same language about excessive usage last time I checked, you're just allowed to run servers, but it's up to them if they think your server or use is "excessive."

Verizon can do nearly whatever they want, as they are doing to him now. I'm sure no one is surprised.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to houkouonchi

Will you alert the consumerist or stopthecap?
--
75/35 Fios, Triple Play Extreme.

Expand your moderator at work

marc3565

join:2009-10-08
reply to houkouonchi

You say that you wish you had recorded the calls last time.. Should at least start recording these new ones. And don't they record the calls? Ask them to prove you said you'd reduce bandwidth with the recording and to show you where you put that in writing.

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
reply to KA3SGM

FIOS is advertised as uncapped, I doubt he's on FIOS.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

said by Bengie25:

FIOS is advertised as uncapped, I doubt he's on FIOS.

He is on FiOS

Bengie25

join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
reply to Duramax08

You're not paying for the 400mb connection, you're just paying for the connection. 400mb of dedicated bandwidth costs Verizon less than $400/month.

You're paying for a SLA on a dedicated line.

Bandwidth is cheap, infrastructure is not.

pinky321

join:2002-06-05
reply to houkouonchi

said by houkouonchi:

Same method as last time and the same guy... He called me first. He told me I will shortly be getting a letter in the mail.

Did you actually receive a letter in mail? If yes, would you please post it in this thread with sensitive information redacted?