how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
kudos:1

[Cable HSI] Usage Billing - Downstream only or both D/U ?

MediacomChad (or maybe Bainch),
You are going to need to be the one to answer this from the inside:

Are your data caps (and the records they are based on) just dealing with Downstream data transferred only, or are you in fact recording (and therefore billing) for both Upstream and Downstream?

I ask because I assume you are using the built-in usage-based billing features found in your Cisco uBr 10012 or other CMTS equipment. According to the online manuals for that feature, data for both upstream and downstream transfers are normally recorded and sent to the separate database server logging the data. And hopefully you are also not counting the records that indicate packets dropped because they exceeded the individual service tier transfer rates for a given time interval. Users need to have some assurance that you are tabulating good records or at least need to know what is being potentially billed for so that we adjust accordingly. Without this information, all we can do is speculate and criticize (and you can be the comments already posted that this runs the full range).

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

The overall usage is calculated from both the downstream and upstream data to and from the modem.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to k9iua6

Thank you, Chad, for the answer. It is what I suspected from some mention earlier in some other thread.

Okay, everyone, read Chad's reply above and adjust your usage (or service tier) accordingly. Those of you doing your own monitoring through router tools, adjust those as well to also record upload, so you can have a closer idea to what Mediacom is recording.

Aff

@mchsi.com

1 recommendation

reply to MediacomChad

Is there a particular reason you guys charge both ways when any bandwidth contract with your upstream providers is charged on a 95 Percentile billing model?

CapJack

join:2013-08-20
reply to MediacomChad

said by MediacomChad:

The overall usage is calculated from both the downstream and upstream data to and from the modem.

Whelp, that's a good reason alone to switch to CenturyLink, or somebody reselling their DSL access. CL specifically states they don't meter or include upstream bandwidth, and specifically state they won't charge you for going over the cap.

rasparks0967
Premium
join:2003-07-04
Springfield, MO
reply to MediacomChad

Question for you, does that mean then that you are calculating arp/rarp as data against us as well? i was running a packet capture program on my pc and notice a ton of arp/rarp protocol traffic coming from 50.83.96.1.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

said by rasparks0967:

Question for you, does that mean then that you are calculating arp/rarp as data against us as well? i was running a packet capture program on my pc and notice a ton of arp/rarp protocol traffic coming from 50.83.96.1.

Chad or someone may say otherwise, but my understanding of the built-in Cisco logging tools in the equipment Mediacom would be using is that all this is also being logged, with no distinction recorded in data type. The burden is on Mediacom to have an understanding of this overhead as a percentage of data traffic and to have adjusted data caps upward appropriately.

rasparks0967
Premium
Springfield, MO

That is my point in the amount of traffic, I ran Wireshark for about 10 minutes and roughly 24% of the packets was arp traffic not even for my IP address.

ComputerEd

join:2013-08-24
Carbondale, IL
reply to k9iua6

What I am hearing is if it comes through your modem it is counted.

rasparks0967
Premium
Springfield, MO

The only thing is I can't stop it, but to be so much traffic, they need to figure out how to stop it. I could do some research and hack the modem so that it don't count, but that is illegal. Unlike a electric or gas meter, this is not something I am consuming, but am getting billed for it because of network operations center incompetence. The requests shouldn't be coming to my modem, if they are then they need to figure out how to stop it so tou are not being billed for it. This is why most router counters won't match mediacom's because they are ignoring it since it is not for them. The way the cable network is setup it seems like the old party line is back.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA

Further reading of Cisco manuals - the logging records are specific to IP/MAC addresses. So broadcasted data, not going specifically to your modem by address, shouldn't be counted. But I may be wrong.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to rasparks0967

The problem is overhead. All ISP have it. The last I read anything about this, the number was 10-15% but that may have changed over the years as packets are larger and being moved faster. I think 25% is excessive.

All companies need to stop with the fuzzy math and deduct the same percentage for all in the same general service area. Springfield and Ash Grove would be the same but it may be different than Joplin and Carthage. Punishing rural America for not being a St, Louis or Chicago is not an ideal plan.

It makes no difference who the provider is. It smells the same.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

ComputerEd

join:2013-08-24
Carbondale, IL

Agreed but we do get punished. The cost for internet and even cable TV service in Southern Illinois is higher than other locations across the country. If Mediacom was only a local company I could understand different and even higher prices however as a national company their pricing structure should be the same everywhere.

The reason they can do this is because they essentially hold a monoply in this area. Local townships sign exclusivity agreements to stop other cable companies from coming and this harms all of us.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Oh yes. My dupopoly is two phone companies about 35 miles apart. One serves up cable, net, and VOIP. The other DSL, net, DSL phone, and Direct TV. My 10/1 with the local is $88. The 10/2 from cable is $105. I'm quite sure vaseline would add to the cost, too. I quit cable long ago.

My solution is slower naked net, DISH and TracFone because it is cheaper.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to CapJack

said by CapJack:

said by MediacomChad:

Whelp, that's a good reason alone to switch to CenturyLink, or somebody reselling their DSL access. CL specifically states they don't meter or include upstream bandwidth, and specifically state they won't charge you for going over the cap.

Actually CL does include the upstream bandwidth in their caps. It's one of the reason's out of many I switched from them.