Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to cousintim

Re: [TV] How many times can I split my signal?

said by cousintim:

When I had both TV and Internet, I had two lines from the pole to my house. One line led directly to the modem. The other was split in the attic for the TVs.

Ditto. Had one feeding the cable modem and mta and the other feeding the TV's when I had Sig. Home.

You're always best off with home runs back to your demark. But if you can't pull that off splitters can work. TWC may have to crank the juice up at the ped for you. If they can't get enough signal in that way a 2nd drop is no bfd.

bodosom
Legerdemain
Premium
join:2004-03-05
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by ke4pym:

You're always best off with home runs back to your demark. But if you can't pull that off splitters can work.

I'm not sure what that means. There's one cable at the demarc from the pole. It terminates at the grounding block. There's one cable from the block into my house. I split that cable with a two-way -- one leg to the modem and the other (now) to a three-way splitter for DVRs. Since there's just one drop from the pole how do you run multiple cables to it?

cielbleu

@videotron.ca

You would be better to use a 4-way splitter, your signals will be more balanced. You will lose 7 dB on each cable instead of losing 10.5 dB on two dvrs (I suppose you are using a 3-way unbalanced splitter). Anyway, by looking to your cable modem stats, this isn't really an issue in your case. It's just more professional to try to balance the cable signals and minimise the cable loss. Why lose 10.5 dB on a cable outlet when you can lose only 7 dB?!

bodosom
Legerdemain
Premium
join:2004-03-05
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by cielbleu :

Why lose 10.5 dB on a cable outlet when you can lose only 7 dB?!

My primary goal is reliable network service. Given the instability of the 6141 I recently replaced I'm hesitant to reduce signal to the modem. Hence my question about getting another drop. The reported power values have gone from -4 to +27 and back down to +7. It doesn't really inspire a great deal of confidence.

If the three DVRs work reliably that's sufficient.