share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Open Discussion: 420mhz Card

When does something like below get to be used? I know it operates in the HAM band.
Is there a place in a WISP for such a card?

»www.xagyl.com/store_us/product.p···1&page=1
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

kc9sqr

join:2011-11-10
Rockford, IL
said by Inssomniak:

When does something like below get to be used? I know it operates in the HAM band.
Is there a place in a WISP for such a card?

»www.xagyl.com/store_us/product.p···1&page=1

For a WISP, no use that I can think of... I could be wrong though

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

1 edit
reply to Inssomniak
This is zero use to wisps, not much to hams either.

Operating this without your basic amateur radio license, using security or connecting this to something on the internet is highly illegal. Even in 5mhz width this would overlap tons of repeaters in my area.

Edit:This card would be pretty cool to control and monitor a robot remotely for short ranges without line of sight.

kc9sqr

join:2011-11-10
Rockford, IL
said by OHSrob:

This is zero use to wisps, not much to hams either.

Operating this without your basic amateur radio license, using security or connecting this to something on the internet is highly illegal. Even in 5mhz width this would overlap tons of repeaters in my area.

Edit:This card would be pretty cool to control and monitor a robot remotely for short ranges without line of sight.

I suppose there is SOME (not much at all) use for these cards outside of the US, such as some that may not have amateur radio privileges in 70cm. Or no equivalent to the our FCC or Canadian RAC (Edit: I meant Canadian version of the fcc which after looking up is Industry Canada).. but in the US or even Canada almost no use I can think of... Other than for hams to tinker with..

Thankfully around here the lower end of 70cm isn't used by repeaters, those cards fall into our ATV segment of our bandplan..

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1
reply to Inssomniak
Outside North America, the 400Mhz band is widely used for dispatch and there are some 400Mhz LTE networks in development. These applications use specially designed RF circuits designed to take into account complex issues of operating in that band.

A few companies used Atheros/802.11 chips for 900Mhz band (mixed results) and 700Mhz bands (poor results) and now for 400Mhz ... just because it can be done.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by lutful:

Outside North America, the 400Mhz band is widely used for dispatch

Umm 400+ mHz is used for LMR "dispatch" in the U.S. which just happens to be in North America.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Inssomniak
Ok cool thanks for the replies, now I know

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 edit
»www.cassidiancommunications.com/···inal.pdf

Article about RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) using a modern digital 400Mhz radio from PlantCML/Cassidian in Gatineau near Ottawa - one of my employees joined the design team around 2006.

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by lutful:

Article about RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) using a modern digital 400Mhz radio from PlantCML/Cassidian in Gatineau near Ottawa

Thats APCO Project 25 (P-25), the idea behind it was interoperability, but that ran into a couple of technology bumps in the road so to speak.

»wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Project_25