spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Why not?

The public is, at best, using their broadband to stream Netflix ... at 2Mbps.
How many streams might you have running simultaneously in a apartment? Two?

Just because a very small minority of consumers go out of their way to prove that they can overload a pipe doesn't mean industry has to deliver unlimited Gigabit feeds for them.

AT&T may well be realizing that the last 1000 feet [at other MDU builds] often will still be copper, i.e. premise-based VDSL. 24Mbps gives them a little breathing room, both for HDTV, and to roll out "upgrades" down the road.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by elray:

Just because a very small minority of consumers go out of their way to prove that they can overload a pipe doesn't mean industry has to deliver unlimited Gigabit feeds for them.

AT&T may well be realizing that the last 1000 feet [at other MDU builds] often will still be copper, i.e. premise-based VDSL. 24Mbps gives them a little breathing room, both for HDTV, and to roll out "upgrades" down the road.

It is not difficult at all for anyone to overload a connection when it is so slow. There is a huge difference between GigE and pathetic 24Mbps especially when its also being shared for IPTV service. They need something faster so bad.

24Mbps is already capacity constrained for a lot of their customers. They've needed to roll out this new 45Mb tier for many years. AT&T is so slow moving.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

The TV portion is designed to NOT be affected and if it is its by very little. TV and phone get special treatment over regular internet. It goes; Phone, TV and then Internet.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

Exactly. Leaving very little left for Internet. People using FiOS or Cable don't have to sacrifice things like the number of HD streams or Internet speeds like they do with AT&T's capacity constrained service. I have no problem with the network architecture from AT&T but they need a much faster pipe so it isn't a bottleneck as it is now.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband

It actually still gives plenty of room for internet. ATT uses much of the connection beyond the 24megs for TV. You must not know how U-Verse fully works and or never used it.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by TBBroadband:

It actually still gives plenty of room for internet. ATT uses much of the connection beyond the 24megs for TV. You must not know how U-Verse fully works and or never used it.

hmm I have observed Uverse in person and no there isn't beyond 24Mbps used for TV. Right now must users are capped at the top profile of 32/5 over a single pair if lucky if not pair bonded. I have noticed if you start using more and more streams on your TV 3HD/1SD the internet will slow down to make room for the TV usage. I qualify for the 24Mbps over a single pair I believe as I was able to order it when it first came out. I don't have it though as I have seen all of the issues with uverse due to poor copper. I know that the infrastructure where I am was build in the 1970s telephone wise cable didn't come till the 80s. I have the at&t ped in my backyard and it is copper for sure. I would shocked if my area soon qualifies for the 45Mbps tier I am about 500-1500 feet from the VRAD depending on how the cable is routed. I live 3 houses down one way and then turn on another street and about 6 houses down from there is the junction box for legacy At&t box and the VRAD for Uverse the VRAD was put in during the begging of 2008. I know that when the VRAD was put in I magically was able to get 6Mbps DSL over POTS non Uverse.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TBBroadband

to TBBroadband
said by TBBroadband:

12Mbps is not plenty of room. I very much know how it works. You're the one that does not understand how it works.

34764170 (banned) to elray

to elray
said by elray:

The public is, at best, using their broadband to stream Netflix ... at 2Mbps.
How many streams might you have running simultaneously in a apartment? Two?

2Mbps? Do some research. Netflix streams are between 5 - 7Mbps.

The whole world is not a single person living in an apartment either.

Avg joes have no problem maxing out a 12Mbps connection. It's far from a small minority. Faster speeds doesn't mean going from 12Mbps to GigE. There is a range in between.

24Mbps doesn't provide any room for growth. Customers already have issues with the limited number of streams their service can provide and the slow connection speeds.