how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yunners

join:2013-04-13
North York, ON

[Cable] Fed up with this service

I've been with Teksavvy for around 3 years now. I loved the service because it was consistent, and the customer service was efficient.

It is no longer so.

I began experiencing ping issues since the ATPIA upgrade. After countless direct forum exchanges and calls with 45 minute waits, the conclusion was that Rogers felt they had nothing to do with the problem and it was my issue. After a couple weeks, the problems resolved on their own so either they fixed it or some miracle happened. This was very frustrating as games were unplayable and Skype calls were being dropped left and right, I received no credit for this messy service.

Now 2 weeks ago, I lost connectivity constantly during exam week when I needed it most. I called Teksavvy support and gave up after a 30 minute wait with no option of a call-back. The internet eventually came back and I thought the problem was over. But it was not to be. Outages were followed by more outages. When it was clear I had no option but to just wait on the line for a representative. After a 50 minute wait, I finally reached someone who ran through the same dull series of tests just to finally say that a Rogers tech would come by Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday of this week to fix this issue.

No one even bothered to call.

On Thursday, I received a phone call from Teksavvy literally asking if my internet is okay. Well no. It is NOT okay. I feel like I wasted 1.5 hours of my time speaking with a representative just to get NO RESPONSE from the tech. The representative then told me that another ticket would have to be made. Great, I'm glad we made progress. Rogers is ignoring Teksavvy customers, and it is Teksavvy's responsibility to step up and fix this negligence.

tl;dr

Teksavvy isn't what it once was. Service has been unstable, customer support has been accompanied with Roger/Bell-esque wait times and the progress from the creation of a support ticket is almost as meaningless as the call itself.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
Full outages are caused by Rogers 99% of the time (almost always DHCP or RF). If you read some of the other threads, you'll see that they've had massive backlogs and all sorts of catastrophic issues, which it looks like you got caught up in (most of us did, some worse than others).

The problem is that while TSI will work with Rogers as much as they can, there is absolutely nothing they can do if Rogers chooses to ignore a problem, or to take weeks to respond to tickets. Whether through malice or incompetence, Rogers is making life very difficult for TPIA providers and customers lately.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
said by The Mongoose:

Full outages are caused by Rogers 99% of the time (almost always DHCP or RF). If you read some of the other threads, you'll see that they've had massive backlogs and all sorts of catastrophic issues, which it looks like you got caught up in (most of us did, some worse than others).

The problem is that while TSI will work with Rogers as much as they can, there is absolutely nothing they can do if Rogers chooses to ignore a problem, or to take weeks to respond to tickets. Whether through malice or incompetence, Rogers is making life very difficult for TPIA providers and customers lately.

i'm not quite sure if the DHCP issues are Rogers related, it seems like it's TSI specific since other ISPs aren't having DHCP outages every day.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28
We have plenty of IPs. We provide them right away.

The difference is that we have users in many areas.. So, no matter where they make node splits... We have users there.

Anybody in the areas being worked on... Will have these problems.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

kanatamike

join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON
kudos:1
reply to yunners
What are Rogers-esque wait times? I was on Rogers for the past six years before switching to Teksavvy a month ago (still trying to determine if that was a mistake or not). They never failed to answer within 30 seconds.

AC77

join:2013-08-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to yunners
Amen lol

Feel your pain. At the expense of the hardware I switched from Rogers to teksavvy on the recommendations of others. What a terrible mistake. I spent 8 years with Rogers never having the type of outages I have experienced with teksavvy. Going on 4 days now.

As an IT professional with 14 years of support and management I would be ashamed to have any part in this circus. It's not acceptable.

Raza

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc
There is defiantly some thing is wrong in some areas. I switched because of more usage was required and now within 3 months decided to switch back to Rogers because of speed / ping and other on going issues (counting days now after placing the cancellation order).

My initial express package 18/512was so horrible that i have had to moved to the next level of 28/1 to have a reasonable service.

I have not seen any reasonable action from Teksavvy team to solved the issues I had not even after telling them I am leaving because of issues.

Not recommending them soon to any body at least in Kanata area.

Wish could get the money back after returning the modem & installation fee (as i am cancelling because of their fault / errors).

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to jmck
said by jmck:

i'm not quite sure if the DHCP issues are Rogers related, it seems like it's TSI specific since other ISPs aren't having DHCP outages every day.

IMO saying 'DHCP issues' sounds more like pointing out the symptom and not the cause of the problem. Rogers is doing node splits too and if I'm not mistaken this was one of the issues that came up last time Rogers did node splits.

AC77

Mississauga, ON
So what did teksavvy learn the last time? Did they improve and prevent future repeat? Or sit back and just say its Rogers fault?

Nothing in IT has to go this way believe me. Between swing hardware and a decent plan outages can be more then avoided. This is incompetence. No other excuse need be applied.

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
Try to understand; TekSavvy is at the mercy of Rogers. It makes NO difference what processes and procedures TekSavvy try to implement. All Rogers is bound too is what is stated by the CRTC.
Expand your moderator at work

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to yunners

Re: [Cable] Fed up with this service

to echo TROG here, but it's clear A GOOD MAJORITY of people do not understand TPIA and how it's setup and works.

ALL issues due to RF problems, DHCP etc are all ROGERS parts of the network that TSI and all other ISP's have no control over. Rogers runs this part of the network. TSI basically has no say on how it's executed, and how and if this part of the network will be upgraded and when and how. They have no say on what equipment is put in place, or how it's configured. They also do not have say when things will be done and how fast. ALL and I repeat ALL issues with RF and DCHP outages have been 100% Rogers, and outside any control by TSI or Start, or BLAH BLAH ISP INC. If your a TPIA isp, the incumbent has you by the nuts.

I blame the CRTC for most of this mess, as they trusted good will by Rogers and Bell to provide service fairly, but it's very clear, they do not.

Customer Service, Hold times, order mess ups, routing issues outside the incumbents end user network, email etc those issues are all on the head of TSI/TPIA ISP. Any issues there are 100% TSI.

AC77

Mississauga, ON
reply to trog
Nonsense. Teksavvy knew this from the start and used it well as marketing in forums like this.

End of the day they sell a product. All be it under Rogers partial infrastructure. Would you deem it acceptable that TSI take your money for a service they can't commit too? That would be dishonest. The world has many unlikely business partners that seem to work just fine. Getting tired of the its Rogers fault pay me anyway mentality of teksavvy. What are they actually doing to solve this? Anyone ask? Anyone post actual details? No...
So what is so great about Rogers or teksavvy? Fill me in.
Expand your moderator at work

ThirtyThree

join:2011-05-29
Canadian cit
reply to AC77

Re: [Cable] Fed up with this service

I agree.

If there was plan to solve this vendor issues I think customers would have an easier time sticking with the company. It seems like it's the easy answer to any problem and there is not going to be an attempt to change.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to yunners
Can we just make a template for these threads? It would speed up the process.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..
reply to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by jmck:

IMO saying 'DHCP issues' sounds more like pointing out the symptom and not the cause of the problem. Rogers is doing node splits too and if I'm not mistaken this was one of the issues that came up last time Rogers did node splits.

they always do node splits tho.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to AC77
said by AC77:

Nonsense. Teksavvy knew this from the start and used it well as marketing in forums like this.

Tell me, if you were using dial up internet and your phone line died, would you blame your ISP or would you blame the company that provides the phone line?

You are currently in the exact same situation as that, except the Rogers side of it is more transparent to you because you don't deal with Rogers directly.

You can blame TekSavvy all you want because ultimately you're the customer, but don't go calling people fanboys because they acknowledge the reality of third-party internet access today.

If you can't handle the wait times that you get as a result of being a TekSavvy customer, by all means go back to Rogers.

Remember:

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - Choose two. Fast and reliable will get you Rogers service, but it won't be cheap. Cheap and fast will get you TekSavvy, but it won't necessarily be reliable because of the man in the middle who is in no hurry to fix problems for third party ISPs.
--
Tom

yunners

North York, ON
reply to kanatamike
Rogers-esque wait times is 40-50 minutes. I don't know what times you are calling at but I called at 8:00 PM, and I fell asleep after 30 minutes. My girlfriend woke me up after the customer rep picked up the phone at a 50 minute wait time.

That part was fine, the fact that the ticket that I ended up submitting was completely useless.

Teksavvy HAS to do something about this. If you promise your customers HIGH SPEED internet. Deliver the product. Fight Rogers. They are obligated to provide support for a failure of their services. I'm no expert on the legal contracts between the companies, but a 2-week incompetence has to breach at least some component of the contract. That is unless Teksavvy shot themselves in the foot during the formatting of the contract.

My internet just went out for another hour before posting this. I have no idea when a technician is going to show up. I have no idea if my support ticket will even be recognized.

As a customer, I should NOT be this confused about the service I'm paying for.

And in addition to this, the customer rep told me when his internet goes out, he uses his cellphone instead. Are you kidding me? Outrageous.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Yunners, we are doing something. I can't talk about it here but we are for sure doing something.

Our staff are very frustrated as well. We have ppl waiting for a simple modem swap for more than 11 days. We escalate for the 4th time to our account manager and we are told that it must be escalated in the system. Meanwhile, the system already has 3 escalations. There is no more escalation possible.

We are very much keeping track and if nothing else this episode will be very informative.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

yunners

North York, ON
I appreciate your effort Marc. I hope you guys overcome this issue soon.

enzymes

join:2003-11-29
Brampton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc
Is that the best we can hope for? That you guys submit escalations and just wait for Rogers to do something?

I think all these issues in just August is a good indication that Teksavvy has no control or quick response whatsoever.

We are paying for a service that is constantly having some kind of problem every month. We can see that just by looking at your own outage reports - »/forum/teks ··· =Outages

I get it. You guys are a reseller using Rogers' infrastructure and they won't let you guys touch anything. But this can't keep going on...

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
Everything is being looked at.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to enzymes
Rogers has been hit by a few major things lately:

- flooding last month
- Switching over THOUSANDS of internet connections to ATPIA for TekSavvy, including processing upgrade requests from thousands of them too.
- Back to school now (dorms are starting to fill up this week)

I'm not sure if they're intentionally screwing over the independents, but it's a certain bet that they'll prioritize their own customers over the customers of the independents.

I expect that around mid-September, we'll be back down to normal wait times to resolve issues.
--
Tom

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to yunners
I'm about to hit week 3 without rogers sending a tech through you guys with signaling issues to my modem... While I appreciate my issue being escalates to account management, and getting updates on my issue via phone call once a day... My connection is like a dude walking on a tightrope and waking up everyday and playing a betting game with myself on whether the Internet is up or not got old a while ago :/

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to TSI Marc
To those who say "fight Rogers" there's a major problem there.

Rogers can say "We don't want to do TPIA" just as Eastlink has done and continues to do. That will not just mess up TPIA customers, it will likely cause the failure of companies like TekSavvy and we'll have no TPIA service at all and will be totally at the mercy of the incumbents.

TPIA providers have NO leverage when it comes to then incumbents. Not paying doesn't work ... they cut you off. Taking to court doesn't work ... they cut you off.

The cost of losing TPIA business to the incumbent is nothing because the customer will come direct to the TPIA.

For example, Rogers cuts TekSavvy cable off. Where do TekSavvy cable customers go? Well, they'll now be most uncomfortable to go with a TPIA having been burned. So they'll go to Rogers. Now Rogers gets their full listed rates for the service instead of part of the TPIA's cheaper rate! They'll have usage caps, so the cost of supplying bandwidth will go down. They'll no longer have to have a people dealing with all this POI crap.

Rogers would love to cut TekSavvy off ... it's money in the bank. So tell me why they would want to provide better service to TPIA customers?

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·TekSavvy Cable
It's sad that the CRTC only seems interested in dealing with this stuff one issue at a time. They should really force a SLA onto the incumbents in order to improve the way the independent's customers are being treated.

Why should a speed change request take 2 weeks to do when it takes someone 30 seconds to change your speed profile at Rogers? That's nuts.
--
Tom

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 edit
reply to sbrook
I think this is a simple case that there are some simple things that could be done and thats all we're really asking for..

Don't let modem swaps take 11 days.
Turn up dynamic routing so if a backbone link goes down, we won't get cut off.
Mange the DHCP pools better.
Have our account manager, actually manage our account.
Give us a phone number to a few key ppl within so we can raise concerns when they happen
When there are major problems, talk to us!
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Optional

join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON
reply to yunners
Or you know.... Let you have your own techs so people like me aren't waiting for 3 god damn weeks

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I think this is a simple case that there are some simple things that could be done and thats all we're really asking for..

Don't let modem swaps take 11 days.
Turn up dynamic routing so if a backbone link goes down, we won't get cut off.
Mange the DHCP pools better.
Have our account manager, actually manage our account.
Give us a phone number to a few key ppl within so we can raise concerns when they happen
When there are major problems, talk to us!

That's just it, they don't want to. Providing anything except tier 1 (maybe tier 2) CSR support is the most they'll spend to support you. Anything else they'll raise a stink as they don't want to hire or reallocate their workforce just for TPIA.