TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Optional

Premium Member

to Optional

Re: [Cable] Fed up with this service

Right. I mean, we could have our own techs now.. But all we could do is look at everything in the house and up to the demarcation.. We may do that to make it easier to rule things out but that's a heavy price to pay when it's for things like an rf issue where they are totally doing a node split or whatever. They know exactly where they are doing work... Yet tickets go on forever without getting fixed but their own customers are not affected. Or not nearly as much.
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26
Well, we will see.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to TLS2000

Premium Member

to TLS2000
said by TLS2000:

It's sad that the CRTC only seems interested in dealing with this stuff one issue at a time. They should really force a SLA onto the incumbents in order to improve the way the independent's customers are being treated.

Why should a speed change request take 2 weeks to do when it takes someone 30 seconds to change your speed profile at Rogers? That's nuts.

Problem is wholesale regulation never required SLA type service. The only case you could make is that 911 is always classified as essential so any type of copper service is supposed to be repaired in a timely window.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to The Mongoose

Premium Member

to The Mongoose
said by The Mongoose:

The problem is that while TSI will work with Rogers as much as they can, there is absolutely nothing they can do if Rogers chooses to ignore a problem, or to take weeks to respond to tickets. Whether through malice or incompetence, Rogers is making life very difficult for TPIA providers and customers lately.

Sure there is...

Start a CRTC proceeding to get Rogers to respond to TPIA outages & their customers *BEFORE* Rogers responds to their own retail customers.

The whole point of this is to get the CRTC to take the issue of competition in the internet access marketplace more seriously than they currently do. This issue HAS to be raised - including more effective communications between incumbents & indies for order management, service outages, & installs.
Expand your moderator at work
nightowl3
join:2012-11-09

nightowl3 to yunners

to yunners

Re: [Cable] Fed up with this service

My question is why are you required to use Bells Crappy VDSL modem...technically the PPPOE authentication goes to your network does it not? So the way I see it it shouldn't matter which VDSL modem (with in reason) people use.

Am I wrong about this?
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by The Mongoose:

The problem is that while TSI will work with Rogers as much as they can, there is absolutely nothing they can do if Rogers chooses to ignore a problem, or to take weeks to respond to tickets. Whether through malice or incompetence, Rogers is making life very difficult for TPIA providers and customers lately.

Sure there is...

Start a CRTC proceeding to get Rogers to respond to TPIA outages & their customers *BEFORE* Rogers responds to their own retail customers.

The whole point of this is to get the CRTC to take the issue of competition in the internet access marketplace more seriously than they currently do. This issue HAS to be raised - including more effective communications between incumbents & indies for order management, service outages, & installs.

Regardless if they did... the CRTC takes a very long time to respond and will likely need a hearing. You are looking at a year.. easy. By then, current issues will be fixed. I think they need evidence with many times that things fell off the rails to point to, as it's higher chance to see results at the CRTC.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to nightowl3

Premium Member

to nightowl3
It's dependent on the remote slam. Not every VDSL modem works on the Stinger or 7330 so until recently you could only obtain a brand new compatible VDSL modem from Bell. Soon they're suppose to allow 3rd party but again not every modem will work.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby to yunners

to yunners
are there not any regulations when it comes to TPIA about service levels?

like, if the whole idea is to promote competition etc - how can it REALLY compete with retail when the support provided to TPIA providers, and the stability and reliability of the network - isn't equal to retail?
Tjalfe
join:2010-07-29
Newmarket, ON

Tjalfe

I have used Teksavvy for Cable internet for 2+ years, with no trouble, except one outage and one issue with routing. both were minor and fixed promptly. I just switched to Rogers 2 weeks ago, as my significant other insisted on more TV than the analog cable.
I have had to reboot my modem 5+ times in this time, my connection is up and down like a yoyo, with speeds all over the map.. this on a 45/4 connection. This is not a Teksavvy only issue, it seems to be everyone, and Rogers is letting their own customers have it just the same. if it was not for the long hold times for calling Rogers, I would be on the phone with them now, but I have better things to do most nights.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Optional

to Optional
said by Optional:

Or you know.... Let you have your own techs so people like me aren't waiting for 3 god damn weeks

Except the techs wouldn't be allowed to do anything useful. So they're next to useless.

34764170 (banned) to nightowl3

to nightowl3
said by nightowl3:

So the way I see it it shouldn't matter which VDSL modem (with in reason) people use.

Am I wrong about this?

A lot of the early DSLAMs Bell is still using in the field used pre-spec VDSL2 chipsets so they have to use custom firmware with the modems so they work properly. With the newer DSLAMs, which are using spec compliant VDSL2 chipsets, that is no longer an issue and yes they could allow any VDSL2 modem.

34764170 (banned) to Tjalfe

to Tjalfe
said by Tjalfe:

I just switched to Rogers 2 weeks ago, as my significant other insisted on more TV than the analog cable.

AFAIK you can have cable TV with Rogers and Internet access with a TPIA providers.
said by Tjalfe:

I have had to reboot my modem 5+ times in this time, my connection is up and down like a yoyo, with speeds all over the map.. this on a 45/4 connection. This is not a Teksavvy only issue, it seems to be everyone, and Rogers is letting their own customers have it just the same. if it was not for the long hold times for calling Rogers, I would be on the phone with them now, but I have better things to do most nights.

Yes, there seems to be a perception that only TSI is affected and yet that is not the case. A certain percentage of ALL cable Internet users are affected by the network upgrades. The Rogers customers I've heard of being affected either shrugged and just rode it out or called in; they've never even heard of DSLR.

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
It's always 3 steps forward 19 steps back in this world. Keep fighting the good fight TSI, I'm here with you.