how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pau_Bea

join:2009-02-10
Little Rock, AR

Cable Modem For Mediacom

Curious what is a good $50 area cable modem that will work with Mediacom? I'm canceling my rental service as my "discount" rate of $2 a month was removed and it's no longer financially worth it to keep it.

I was looking at this but curious what you all would recommend?
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SU···le+modem

I don't need anything fancy just have it capable of handling 30mbps, no wireless features, and most importantly have it made to last 2+ years.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
Pretty much any Docsis 2.0 or 3.0 modem will work. With increasing speeds and demands though I could recommend going with a Docsis 3.0. When you do purchase a modem try to get one that's newer in the sense of being manufactured as we most likely won't be able to provide firmware for it and you'll want a newer version of firmware to stray away from any possible bugs that the older versions had. Popular models are Motorola surfboards they have many to choose from and many customers here on DSL actually use them. They may be able to provide you with more information about them.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

dissident

join:2010-01-30
reply to Pau_Bea
this is a good one, the Surfboard 6141.

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-Su···s=sb6141

Keep in mind, mediacom does not support firmware updates to this modem so you want to buy the "white" model which is supposedly the consumer model and has newer firmware updates to it.

I bought a black one before I knew about this and it has old firmware, and for whatever reason it's seemingly impossible to update the firmware of a cable modem yourself. I rarely have a problem, but it would be nice to have the latest firmware.

Pau_Bea

Little Rock, AR
reply to Pau_Bea
Thanks, I'm looking to buy the Motorola SB6121 (black, and yes I know it's older firmware but is it really worth $20 more?) will this work with Springfield,MO area for mediacom? ATM I have a 15mbps and depending on the deal we can strike I will get the 30mbps package after my contract ends.

The other thought was get bare basics and get a Motorola Surfboard SB5101 which supports 30mbps which is the highest I will go for cable packages.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The SB6121 will work fine in your area and with your plan. Older firmware can be a big problem and cause issues.

Pau_Bea

Little Rock, AR

1 edit
How much of a problem would Motorola Surfboard SB5101 cause for 30mbps package and will it cause problems? It supports up to 38mbps down and 30mbps up speeds but I'm curious of problems on your side? ATM I use a RCA DCM425C rental it's not that fantastic of a modem either and it works 100%.

I only ask as I can get a 5101 for $20 (used but the user is good to his hardware) and if it lasts a year it will be well worth the investment and maybe a better 3.0 modem will be out OR the one I want now will be cheaper.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
The SB5101 will work with our internet. In fact we do have some of those rented out as well. So we should even be able to provide firmware for it if needed.

Pau_Bea

Little Rock, AR
Thank you Chad, I will keep an eye out for 3.0 modems if this one causes me any issues later down the road. I like the idea of bonding but at these speeds I doubt I will need it as my network almost never bogs down (Saturday night during peak hours and I'm golden).

Thank you sir for your dedication and help

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
You're welcome. If you've got any other questions just let me know.

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Mediacom
reply to Pau_Bea
You'll definitely want to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I picked this exact one for $59.99 a few months ago, so keep an eye out: »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UN···F8&psc=1

This one works great with my 30mbit service, and my friend who has this exact one says it works perfect with his 105mbit service

Pau_Bea

Little Rock, AR
Will do Chris, will probably wait till I save up the money from the rental fees then buy it on sale However long as this $20 modem works and lasts me at least 4 months then I have no problems with life, it should in theory handle my 30mbps upgrade without issues as well....luckily my area has low load so 3.0 isn't that impressive for me for what it does.

Now if I lived farther in the city it would be a different question but I'm out in the county.

OrangeC

join:2013-07-07
Oelwein, IA
reply to Pau_Bea
If i wanted to get a new modem how do i active ate the new modem?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
If you need to active it you can either connect your PC directly to the new modem and it should redirect you to the page to active it. You can also call in or have me activate it for you.

chris92

join:2008-09-20
Coal Valley, IL
reply to OrangeC
All you have to do is plug it in, go to »maestro.mediacomcc.com/walledgarden/ register the modem, and wait for the reboot!

Edit: dang, Chad beat me!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Haha chris92 it's not a competition. Thanks for posting the link for them though.