how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

loki_racer

join:2009-11-10

1 edit

Can I pay to have fiber run to my home?

This is a hypothetical question. I currently live overseas but will be returning to the US as some point in the next year. I have the opportunity to move any where I want, but must have internet. I work remotely and the faster the internet the better. I would like to move to a rural setting, which obviously isn't conducive to having fast internet.

So, I have a couple questions. Do any of the main ISPs (ATT, Verizon, etc.) allow customers to pay to run fiber? Does anyone have experience actually paying an ISP to bring service to them?

Any thoughts on cost? I've always thought it would be interesting for ISPs to allow me to pay, say, $10k to run a fiber line to my house, then pay me back over time if they were able to sell service to other's off it.

Something kind of like what this story covers:»arstechnica.com/features/2008/07···d-fiber/ but instead I would be the one paying for the lines to a community and as they sell access to other homeowners, I get paid back.

I can stomach a couple grand to run a line and a couple hundred dollars a month for service, so don't rule out costs being to high.

Thanks, and I apologize if this has been covered. I tried searching, but it's kind of a generic search.

Seph83
Winter is Coming
Premium
join:2004-04-29
Blairsville, GA
Reviews:
·Blue Ridge Mount..
·Windstream
North Georgia is a good, safe, rural place to live, with a fairly low cost of living. I live in a county with about 22,000 people, and I have 30mb symmetrical fiber to the home, for $42.95 a month. Depending on where you live, the BRMEMC will run this fiber free of charge, provided you sign a 2 year contract. Other places, you can pay to have the fiber ran from the main line, or get enough neighbors to sign contracts, and they will run it for free.
--
"If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die." -- Eddard Stark

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

3 edits
reply to loki_racer
Some large providers actually will do custom builds to your house. I have heard Centurylink has a team for this kind of thing. But as you guessed it is not cheap and I doubt you could afford to have them do it in a rural area. $10k will probably not cut it and unfortunately they won't be paying you back.

How rural are you looking at? There are a lot of small providers rolling out ftth in the rural small towns they serve. Some are even rolling out fiber to their entire exchanges. You don't get anything close to FiOS speeds, but they can deliver decent enough speeds. Perhaps there are some providers near you. I currently live in a fairly rural location in Iowa, yet I have ftth.

This list is getting a little old, so there are probably quite a few more doing fiber builds by now. It also doesn't include muni's or power companies rolling out fiber. There are two separate lists for those if you are interested in the bbpmag March/April and May/June online magazine issues. There are around 135 muni's deploying ftth and 16 power companies. All in all, around 880 companies are deploying ftth.

»www.bbpmag.com/Features/0312feat···lcos.php

loki_racer

join:2009-11-10
reply to Seph83
Thanks for the info, but you couldn't pay me to live in the southeast. 8 years in Alabama was more than I needed.

@silbaco Thanks for the info. I'll check out Centurylink. We're thinking we'd like to get at least 50 acres, but I'd like to shoot for closer to 100. Near Provo, Utah, Flagstaff, AZ or Montana are all high on our list. I grew up in a town with about 30 people in it and I'm looking to get back to something like that.

Thanks for the map, that's amazing information.

r250r

join:2013-08-25
Two come to mind that I didn't see listed in silbaco's link:
google fiber, which is apparently coming to provo and others - »fiber.google.com/cities/

It may be too close to the southeast, but Chattanooga, TN has municipal fiber »chattanoogagig.com/

FTTH MAN

@windomnet.com
reply to loki_racer
Actually about 50 percent of rural Minnesota has Fiber to the home. I have one drop that is 12 miles. Our smallest pon site has 22 customers. South Dakota is about 60 percent covered. FTTH is not that unheard of. Many cable companies in small rural tonws are providing great speeds. I have a wireless WISP doing 10MB to real rural homes. We are conencted to Tier one uplinks so speed is great sitting on a akamai clsuter aslo. Peered with 42 other ISP Move to rural MN or SD No state taxed in SD

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to r250r
The only thing with Google Fiber is that the list of cities will take YEARS for them to even start building in most of those cities. Even Austin isn't near starting and it was the 2nd named after the KC's. Provo will be before Austin- but only because the City has paid and will keep paying for the back end network