Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

schenoweth

join:2001-07-19
Gainesville, VA

Filezilla

Hey all,
Heard some stuff about filezilla coming with some extra downloads attached to it when you install it (even when you click out of installing the extras). Anyone know a safe place to download filezilla?

many thx

MisterMom8

join:2004-09-08
Kingston, ON

I have been using Filezilla for a long time and never had it install anything i did not know about, and have always downloaded it from there official site.

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast
reply to schenoweth

I installed it twice yesterday and saw no such additions. Stick to SourceForge.

schenoweth

join:2001-07-19
Gainesville, VA
reply to sbconslt

many, many thx sbconslt.
yes, i was referring to the bundling they are doing with the filezilla installer. thx for the workaround.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

Glad to help!

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
reply to schenoweth

What you're thinking of is that sourceforge has started bundling the Filezilla installer with their own wrapper, something that is entirely, entirely not cool. The bundleware thing they're doing is a new departure from their advertising revenue model and is supposedly in trial to be more widely deployed. As if bundling of unwanted garbage was not already a big enough problem. They'll pay for this over time as they lose share to open solutions. But they're a commercial operation and they've clearly done the math and decided this will be the way they go.

To bypass sourceforge [ Removed: »Posting Rules - Software ]
(the direct link in the case of the most current version).

Expand your moderator at work

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to schenoweth

Re: Filezilla

Download from their webpage link - Show additional download options
get setup installer[FileZilla_3.7.3_win32-setup.xxx]

Download the setup file from the project page - get a web installer file [SFInstaller_SFFZ_filezilla_8992693_.xxx] offering other software with the clear option (button) to decline.