Search similar:

uniqs

studiomatt
@pppoe.ca

1 recommendation

studiomatt

Anon

[Cable] My (very long) Customer Service Experience

I have been reading these forums over the past week or so and understand that Teksavvy customers are as concerned with customer service as they are with the internet service provided by their ISP. I post this in the hopes of highlighting the customer service issues I have experienced so that they may be used to resolve future issues. This will be too long for many users to read but I hope that the Teksavvy employees on this forum will take the time. These are not criticisms of the specific employees as I feel they tried to help. I should add that I believe this is the first time I have called outside the initial setup phase.

To start we should put me in perspective. I became a customer in July of 2011 and purchased a RCA DCM425 modem with firmware version 05.49 directly from Teksavvy. Using a scale of 1 to 5 where your dear grandmother is a 1 and your other grandmother, rated 5, has a computer science undergrad and a doctorate in network engineering, I am a 2. I understand the basics and am a relatively patient individual. I do not work from home, have a data plan on my phone, and sit in front of a connected PC for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

I returned home from a week away on August 15th and found that I was unable to get online. I called to determine if this issue was specific to me or part of the outages I had been reading about. CSR#1 took me through the typical tests and was able to determine that my firmware was out of date. He informed me that he could not open a ticket with Rogers because of the firmware issue. After a bit of coaxing we determined that I could wait, buy a new modem, or upgrade my firmware with no instructions on how I might do so.

On September 16th I received my monthly invoice. Upon receiving my invoice I realized that the hour I spent on the phone had yielded no results and I was unsure of what course of action to take. I was unsure if my issue was directly related to my modem’s firmware or if I was subject to the issues Teksavvy was experiencing with Rogers. With confirmation of my payment I included a communication voicing my frustrations.

On August 19th, or possibly 20th, I made a second call to support in the hopes of receiving clarification of my issue. CSR#2 indicated that there were outages in my area and that my firmware was out of date. He suggested that:
a. I take advantage of a current promotion where DOCSYS 3.0 modems are $20 off
b. That I request Teksavvy upgrade the firmware on my current modem
c. I wait with the assurances that my current modem will get me back online

I was considering asking Teksavvy to upgrade my firmware when I read on the Teksavvycsr twitter account that, and I paraphrase “we don’t do that.” Keep in mind that I can only see one side of the conversation so I may have misunderstood.

August 21st I made the decision to call and purchase a new DOCSYS 3.0 modem based on the conversations I had with the individuals mentioned above. I had never been given specific instructions but it seemed like the best course of action. I did not intend on voicing my frustrations to CSR#3, but I did. I explained that as a customer I wanted a set of clear instructions to resolve my issues. She called tech support and advised that my best course of action was to purchase a new modem. I asked what was to be done about the, and I am not sure of the exact wording, but ambivalent? Instructions I received. She responded to the effect of “what do you want me to do?” and I asked her to place herself in my situation. She put me on hold and came back offering $20 off a DOCSYS 3.0 modem. I asked if that was an ongoing promotion to which she replied “yes.” I assured her that my issue was not with her and asked to speak to a supervisor and was put on hold again. She came back on the line and offered me the same modem for $35 with the provision that I return my current modem and I agreed to do so. I was informed that I needed to pay upfront and my modem would be shipped at that time.

Shortly after this conversation I received an email reply from CSR#4 who was replying to my email to accounting. He advised that there are signal issues in my area and I could wait to see if it clears or purchase a new modem.

August 22nd I reply to the above noted email and confirm that I will receive an invoice, pay online, at which point a new modem will be shipped to me. I inquire as to when I will receive the invoice and if calling in and paying by credit card will expedite the process. I also ask for confirmation of the date when the firmware for my modem was changed.

The same day I receive an email from CSR#5 who indicates that “the modem is being shipped out when shipping processes it, it is not dependent on you making a payment to receive it. The difference will be on either this invoice or the next. Your invoice is set to be sent out on the 26th. The stac 05.49 became out of date in the end of 2011.”

Shortly after I receive an email from Sales informing that I need to pay upfront within 48 hours or the order will be canceled and I will need to start again.

August 22nd I reply to the email from CSR#5 indicating that I am frustrated and confused. I indicate that I need accurate and consistent instruction. I request confirmation if notice was sent informing that my firmware was out of date in “late 2011” and for confirmation if Teksavvy will update firmware if the modem is shipped back. It has only been a business day and I hope to receive a reply on Monday the 26th.

As a customer I request the following:

1. Accurate instructions on how to proceed or an acknowledgement on the part of Teksavvy that they do not know what the issue is. The best thing your CSR can tell a customer is “I don’t know so I will call you back within X(timeframe) to give you an update or a resolution.”

2. Notification that you have sold me hardware within the warranty period that may cause me issues in the future. There is no need to wait for it to be a problem and have me act. I’ll probably be upset when I receive the email but I will not post 1500 words in a forum complaining about inconsistent and confusing customer service.

3. Genuine offers. I asked CSR#3 what was to be done about the customer service I received. I was expecting her to say that the individuals involved would be notified. Instead she came back with a disingenuous “offer” that was available to anyone.

4. To be able to speak with a supervisor when requested so we can avoid situations like #3. If a supervisor was not available a call back would have been perfectly acceptable.

As of the moment I am back online with outdated firmware. I have paid for the modem and will “upgrade” my service when it arrives. Currently I pay for Cable 18 when the same price will get me Cable 25. I can only connect to my PC but hope that the new modem will allow me to use my router or get the necessary attention from Rogers to use my router.

If you are not a Teksavvy employee you have read too far and I appreciate you doing so.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

1 edit

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting your experience. I am sorry to hear about it as this is not the "excellence" we strive for.

I agree with you that something could have been done better on our end. We are going through some growing pains (lots of new staff) however some of this are "we should have known better".

Our supervisors are accessible between 7am-1pm 7 days a week and we never should refuse a transfer to one.

Although some of the damage has been done, I would like to ensure our associates receive the coaching they deserve from your experience.

Would you mind emailing me your details so we can do this?

Andre@teksavvy.com

Thanks again and sorry for the inconveniences.

Andre

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

said by TSI Andre:

Our supervisors are accessible between 7am-1pm 7 days a week

I'm very surprised by that.

IMHO, for a customer base as large as TSI's, I'd expect that you either:

a) Have enough supervisors so that there is always one in the call centre(s) 24-hours, or
b) Have a supervisor on-call rotation so that there is always one reachable around the clock for urgent escalations

A limited 6-hour daily window where one can speak with a supervisor is, to me, laughable.

If I was in the midst of a frustrating issue and requesting escalation outside of those hours, only to be told there isn't one to speak with at that time, the odds of making me a happy customer would be dramatically lowered.

Just my 2¢.

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Oh. Crap. I meant 7am to 1 am . And there is someone on call overnight

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl