uniqs
share rss forum feed

colomb001

join:2012-05-15
Chicago, IL

1 edit

[Speed] [Chicago - Andersonville] Slow evening speeds

I'm somewhat at a loss at this point.

I've had three technicians out over the past two weeks. Everything from the drop to the lines outside and inside the home have been replaced. Modem has been replaced. I'm told there have been two line crews that have worked and resolved the issue, but the issue persists. While daytime bandwidth is fantastic, it becomes erratic in the late afternoon. By 7 or 8pm, it is consistently 3-5Mbps. Just got off the phone and I'm told they are going to send another line crew out this weekend. What is going on? I don't want to waste anymore technician / support center / line crew time if it can be helped. Any insight / help would be greatly appreciated.

Encoded Mac: f79c343f61f4ceab77eb7a8ec8bd6b85bd62d0cd

Edit: Received email saying technician scheduled for Monday visit. Not what I was told over phone. Rescheduled for Tuesday as I can't be there Monday. Can't wait for him to tell me there is nothing he can do.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA
kudos:1

FYI Checking on this. this may be something we can resolve but I need to find out if something is an optical splitter or if it's just electrical combining. Figured I'd offer a heads up.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

colomb001

Chicago, IL

Thank you.

colomb001

Chicago, IL

If its any help, I ran a test at 7pm CST and was getting a little under 15Mbps. Just ran a test at 7:40pm CST and its reporting a max speed of 3.64Mbps. This is all through »il.speedtest.rcn.net/

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

1 recommendation

said by colomb001:

If its any help, I ran a test at 7pm CST and was getting a little under 15Mbps. Just ran a test at 7:40pm CST and its reporting a max speed of 3.64Mbps. This is all through »il.speedtest.rcn.net/

Sent a plan over to the local guys.. that was actually already in the works but hadn't gone over. This was yesterday in the afternoon so obviously haven't heard back from them. But this really appears to be your issue.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA

Appears the Chicago Guys are REALLY REALLY on the ball or eager. They made the change this morning it appears around 10:30 local chi time. You should be mucho happier this evening.
--
Bryan Laird
RCN Engineering

colomb001

Chicago, IL
reply to negativeduck

Called off technician, so hopefully this is the fix! As of now, things look much more stable.

Can I ask what this "plan" was? Ultimately, what was the issue and why was this something only you could track down / resolve?

I'll run a couple more tests this evening and report my findings. Thanks again for looking into this!

Alex

colomb001

Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Three evenings in a row of great speed. Thanks again for the help.

negativeduck
Premium,VIP
Centreville, VA