share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

[iPhone] Will IOS 7 work on my 4S?

Have they announced which phones will work with IOS 7? I have a 4S. (I realize some features might not work, but will IOS 7 work on a 4S?)

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
IOS 7 will run on anything from iPhone 4 and up so the it will run on the 4S.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1
reply to signmeuptoo
AirDrop and Filters will be the missing features.

»techcrunch.com/2013/06/10/ios-7-···the-fun/
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Thanks guys!

kfsutops
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Tampa, FL
reply to signmeuptoo
Isn't funny how Apple decided to not include Filters and Airdrop, yet include iTunes Radio? ...HMMMM...

Need to make sure they include features that allow you to be advertised too...
--
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
said by kfsutops:

Isn't funny how Apple decided to not include Filters and Airdrop, yet include iTunes Radio? ...HMMMM...

Need to make sure they include features that allow you to be advertised too...

Airdrop can't work on 4S or below because of the hardware

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
What hardware is that?

I though Airdrop used WiFi, Bluetooth and software in iOS 7,.....?

Its not like Android beam that uses NFC requiring an NFC chip.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
AFAIK, it also uses WiFi-Direct, which is not available on the iPhone 4S.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

kfsutops
Premium
join:2002-08-19
Tampa, FL
Is it not available because software limitations or hardware? Just curious. It seems that since the iPhone can be set up as a mobile hotspot (allowing other phones to connect to it's wi-fi) why wouldn't the hardware support file sharing between the internal network.
--
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Thinkdiff
Even if that is the case, only one of the two devices connecting has to be WiFi-Direct compliant to establish a peer-to-peer connection. Said devices don't even need to be from the same manufacturer.

I'm not sure what hardware is needed to be compliant but older devices should still be able to access a complaint device even if they cannot establish the peer-to-peer connection independently and technically even a compliant / non-compliant Android device should work.

So a complete lockout seems unnecessary but still very Apple like and not at all unexpected.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to kfsutops
There's no "official" word, but seeing as AirDrop uses WiFi-Direct and the iPhone 4S does not support WiFi-Direct, it seems the decision was at least partially hardware related.

Setting up a mobile hotspot is similar, but not the same thing as WiFi Direct.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Even if that is the case, only one of the two devices connecting has to be WiFi-Direct compliant to establish a peer-to-peer connection. Said devices don't even need to be from the same manufacturer.

What happens when two iPhone 4S users want to AirDrop something? What happens when an iPhone 4S user wants to initiate the transfer?

They probably could implement it in some neutered form on the iPhone 4S, but instead of confusing people with incompatibilities, they likely decided to cut the entire feature. My bet is on a strategic business decision rooted in outdated hardware. Something along the lines of:

"Well, we could implement it in X work-hours with A, B, C limitations, or we could make it exclusive to the iPhone 5/5S with no limitations, which has the added benefit of pushing iPhone 4S users up"
--

Squirrelly

join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA
said by Thinkdiff:

said by Octavean:

What happens when two iPhone 4S users want to AirDrop something? What happens when an iPhone 4S user wants to initiate the transfer?

They probably could implement it in some neutered form on the iPhone 4S, but instead of confusing people with incompatibilities, they likely decided to cut the entire feature. My bet is on a strategic business decision rooted in outdated hardware. Something along the lines of:

"Well, we could implement it in X work-hours with A, B, C limitations, or we could make it exclusive to the iPhone 5/5S with no limitations, which has the added benefit of pushing iPhone 4S users up"

This along with hardware limitations. Every company needs to make you upgrade, Google, Apple, MS, Samsung. If they don't then they won't make any money. Apple is all about the experience, if it won't work the same on each device they won't allow it

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

said by Octavean:

Indeed,.....

I think I said that already though,.......just in a different way.

I mean obviously Apple isnt going to do specific things like put support into AirDrop or something similar with non-Apple devices like Android or a half-measure with older Apple hardware.

The thing I am unclear on is the hardware requirements for Wi-Fi Direct.

But again no surprises here,....

***edit***

Also for what its worth to the OP,....

While iOS 7 may technically work and be supported on your iPhone 4S, upgrading it might result in a noteworthy performance hit. You might find that upgrading the phone to an iPhone 5 or upcoming 5S (not sure about the availability of the 5C) my yield a better experience,....

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to signmeuptoo
like the OP im rocking an even older ip4 which i can't update until march '14. I know darn well to not even bother trying to jam iOS 7 into the ancient hardware as its most likely not going to be ideal. I figure just run it on iOS 6.1.3 until i can update the hardware .

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
reply to signmeuptoo
I just got my 4S a few months ago, gonna be a couple years, before I can upgrade, right? Frankly, I don't do social phone stuff, so I have little need for airdrop as of this time.

Won't my phone update to 7 when it comes out anyways, or is there a way to prevent it doing so?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
You should be able to do an over the air update to iOS 7 when it becomes available but it wont auto upgrade.

You would just go to:

Settings > General > Software Update

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Will security updates continue for 6.x?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
No. Once a new OS comes out, the older ones are not updated.

Edit: I imagine there could be a case when an unsupported phone cannot upgrade to the latest OS and a major bug/hole is found in an older version. They technically can issue an update to the older OS just for that model, but it hasn't happened yet and seems unlikely to happen in the future.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY
reply to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Also for what its worth to the OP,....

While iOS 7 may technically work and be supported on your iPhone 4S, upgrading it might result in a noteworthy performance hit.

Also for what it's worth, the reports of people running iOS 7 beta on the iPhone 4S have been mostly positive with respect to performance (at least the latest betas). Might want to hold judgement on that until it's actually released.
--

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Well thanks guys! I've never been an early adopter, since I've never been well heeled enough to do so, and frankly, it's just as well since a lot of headaches come with early adoption. I don't feel a desperate need for a 5 or 5S right now. Actually, I might defect to Android even, when the time comes, I don't dislike my iPhone, but I'm not like, say, my sister who spends hours glued to her iPhone and iPad, I just don't care for handheld devices, I like a full desktop that I built from parts I ordered myself. I detest typing on small devices, the novelty of them does nothing for me.

OTOH, sure, I use it, the iPhone, and if I had a tablet I'd use it also, but I'd still do my social stuff on a PC or laptop. The main reason I'd ever get a tablet is for reading books.

If 7 will run ok on the 4S then I'll update, but I'm not worked up about it. Those commercials on TV trying to frame gadgets as touchingly wonderful just hit a flat note with me, I don't find facebooking a touching experience to warm the cockles of my heart. Of course, I like this stuff, but it doesn't blow me away, so I'll wait and see about the new OS.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.