Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mtas

join:2006-03-31
Boston, MA

2 edits

[Phone] ARRIS TM822G Earpiece Volume too Loud

I ported a phone line over from the local telco to RCN, and now find that the earpiece volume on my phones ranges from loud to painfully loud, depending on how I adjust a phone's receive volume setting.

RCN installed an ARRIS TM822G E-MTA, Encoded Mac: e1b784b36e2dad1346e6bdf19c2f6724603a997d.

I measured the off-hoop DC loop current with a multimeter, and read 40ma. This value seems higher than necessary, and conceivably could be correlated with my "earpiece volume too loud" problem.

Although the ARRIS TM822 is advertised as having configurable loop current and loop voltage, a front line telephone tech support staff member that I spoke with at RCN was unaware of any options for lowering earpiece volume.

Perhaps one of the unofficial officials can take a look.

mtas

Boston, MA
The ARRIS (Advanced) "QoS Statistics page" for my TM822G E-MTA shows the Loop Current for Line 1 (and Line 2) as "Boosted". The (or at least a) question is how to arrange for the Loop Current for Line 1 to be un-Boosted.

potsman

@rcn.com
Loop current is voltage to power phones and make it ring it has nothing to do with volume. U try a different phone?

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 edit
reply to mtas
I think that the issue is not volume. Traditional, voiceband or narrowband telephone calls limit audio frequencies to the range of 300 Hz to 3.4 kHz. Wideband audio relaxes the bandwidth limitation and transmits in the audio frequency range of 50 Hz to 7 kHz or higher. The increased frequency range is supposed to make the voice sound natural.

Now I know that 4 kHz is the frequency at which you have maximum sensitivity. Perhaps your behavior with traditional phones (pressing to your ear) is a problem. I don't think anything you do with a modem would control volume.

BTW: Dogs can hear up to 45 kHz, while humans can hear up to 16kHz to 23kHz depending on sex, age, and environment growing up. But humans have the most sensitive hearing of any animal studied at 4kHz. Normal plain old telephone service cuts off this frequency, but high definition audio transmits it. People do complain sometimes because they are not used to telephones sounding like that.

mtas

Boston, MA

2 edits
reply to potsman
Responding to potsman: I have tried multiple phones. The same phones that were doing fine over a 1500 foot or so copper pair to the local telco. For my install, there's no reason for loop current to be boosted, though I agree that there isn't necessarily a causal relationship between elevated loop current and too-high earpiece volume. Here's an overall discussion of the topic:

»www.sandman.com/loopcur.html

Un-Boosting loop current alas seems unlikely to reduce earpiece volume. Some E-MTAs allow control over receive and transmit audio gain. If RCN were able and willing to adjust receive audio gain on the TM822G, that might help my situation. Otherwise, an in-line attenuator appears to be in my future.

As far as Pacomartin's insight regarding wideband audio, I wonder if that still comes into play when the other end of a call is POTS.

Pacomartin

join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
I know that some phones have an icon if both people on the call have HD-audio, but I am unfamiliar with what happens in all possible combinations.

Generally HD audio is perceived as a good thing, as it helps distinguish between letters "s, z, and f", and aids in conference calls where different voices run together.

Normal complaints are that you pick up room noises that you weren't used to hearing. Also voices just sound "strange". I have felt that voices are more piercing.

Googling has produced no constructive insight to painful levels. But just based on what I know about auditory process, the frequencies above 3.4kHz are much more sensitive.

mtas

Boston, MA
reply to mtas
(cancelled by poster)