how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dslissues

join:2006-01-28
Maryville, TN

Asus RT-N66U connection/setup

Hello, With the help of DSL Reports members. I just got a new Asus RT N66u up and running. I have the latest firmware update. I have a thin client for Magicjack on my LAN. It is my highest priority. We mainly do desktops with an occasional video to the TV. My first attempt at setting the QOS table is giving that thin client MAC address highest priority for any protocol. I am on a 30/3 cable ISP. As I get used to this router, I will be asking questions of you more experienced Asus router users.

Tonight's first question is router GUI area.

I read here about the interface not updating properly.
The suggestion was to repeat setting options to make sure they were actually set in the router.
Tonight I went to log into the router and I found I was already logged on.
I had logged off two hours before and received the "you have successfully logged off" screen.
This concerns me mostly because of security, but also it will make getting to know it more problematic.

Thank you for your comments.

dslissues

Maryville, TN

Just found the Asus company forums. With over 700 problem postings for this model alone. If you have questions about the RT N66u, I would recommend that forum as a source. Popular postings is good, I don't know about when you have a hundred issues with one single router.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

A couple reasons, first its one of the most popular consumer routers on the market right now. Its so popular Newegg ordered a special supply and still ran out...like 4 times. If alot of people use the router, statistically, alot of people have problems with the router. Also, the router was first shipped with some bugged firmware. It was a stupid translation error since they used the same base for the European model and the North American model. It was fixed in about a 4-5 days but it got some bad press and alot of models were shipped since alot of people had pre-orders. I would say a good percentage of people having issues are using the old v1 firmware. Last, its a very complex router. A VPN server is no joke, and there were some issues with 4G USB dongles and not being compatible and alot of other stuff that didn't work 100% when the model came out. Over a month though, and a couple firmware releases, not only did they fix it, they made it alot better and added alot of features. Its also one of the firm routers where the manufacture incorporated 3rd party firmware design into the factory firmware. Sure, Buffalo pre-loads DD-WRT on some routers, but Asus allowed dd-WRT designed to decompile the Asus firmware and actually apply fixes and improvements that Asus implemented. Thats new and rather unique.

As for magicjack, when you say you use a "thin client" could you specify exactly what your using? I can then give some tips. I don't go on the Asus forum. It is Moderated and ran horribly. It has "lost" my username several times. If you find it helpful, then by all means use it, I just can't stand it.

dslissues

Maryville, TN

Thank you for the detailed explanations. I didn't expect so many answers at one time, I appreciate that.

I got the thin client from Lakey3 on Ebay. It is the HP T5730. It is a little bigger than most suggested, but I am comfortable with it. Lakey3 sells these already setup for Magicjack.

I am still having one issue with calls. Two family member's cell phone calls (different carriers) come in and I can't hear them but they can hear me. This very repeatable but not 100%. I was hoping that giving MJ it's own machine and high priority QOS would fix it but it has not yet.

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Is it a full PBX? What operating system is it running? Or is it just windows with the Magicjack plugged in?

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5
reply to dslissues

I have a new RT-N66R (Best Buy designator) running the 3.0.0.4.270 firmware that was installed in the device from the factory. It's been very stable and fast and solved the problem of my iPad 4 & iPod Touch (4th gen) dropping their WiFi connections with my old ZyXEL router. I have not seen any issues with the GUI or logging out issues...

dslissues

Maryville, TN

1 edit
reply to Optimus2357

It is just XPe/ SP3 . Lakay3 had configured it, so all I needed to do was turn off the write protect and plug in my MJ. I then installed Magic Features and closed the write protect.
One thing I did do was enable XP firewall. I was worried about running without something for security.
This could be the problem? I will contact Lakay3 about a firewall.

dslissues

Maryville, TN
reply to SoonerAl

Hello Sooner, I just retried my signon and it still does not do a true sign off when it says you have. The Asus forum described it this way.
"You have to close your browser to effect a sign off."

Try this, sign on, look at a few pages and then sign off.
Once you have gotten the announcement that you are signed off, go to another web site any one or two.
Now click your back arrow of your browser till you get back to your router pages or look at your history list and click an entry for the router.

I believe what you are looking at is not a cache because you can edit your settings.

PS: closing the tab you are using will not help the sign off either.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

I see...

It does behave as you describe on my Windows 8 laptop running IE. However with that said I consider that a minor bug. I agree it should be fixed but IMHO you should always close your browser after logging off the router.

dslissues

Maryville, TN

I have Win7 and FF23 and IE10. The OP that reported it at Asus.

New: firmware 3.0.0.4.372.1363 --> Logout not functioning properly
Posted:7/22/2013 11:09:00 AM # 1
Upgraded to the newest version and realized that although you have the logout option, it doesn't work. It appears to have logged out, and displays the logged out page, but if you
navigate to the router's main page again, you will be able to access the router without a password!

Ctrl-F5 doesn't refresh it (to forget the password).

Same behavior occurs on both Firefox v22 and IE 10.

dslissues

Maryville, TN
reply to dslissues

I also found Amazon reviews for this router. I am not recommending you buy there, but they have over 1200 reviews that may be helpful to anyone.

At the Asus forum I found a man that echoed Redholm's comment that reviews are skewed to the negative. The Asus member said seldom do people post positive experiences on forums. And people generally forget to give thanks for help. I saw this in a thread there, there were six helpers for one problem and the Op never came back with results let alone thanks.

dslissues

Maryville, TN

2 edits
reply to dslissues

removed by DSLissues

dslissues

Maryville, TN
reply to dslissues

I guess I am one to talk about people being irresponsible.

Thank you Optimus and Al for your participation in my posting.

In finishing this post I see the sign off issue could be helped by Asus just telling people to close the browser. This may be obvious to experienced owners but not knowing is bad.

My Magic jack is still (once in two weeks ) making a bad connection. After setting it up in a dedicated PC and setting that MAC to highest priority on The N66u. So I will live with that for now. Hopefully I will gather more evidence as it goes.