All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

Verizon 4G LTE getting even better!

Well, I live out in the country, I never thought 4G would be in my area. It is. And it is FAST. Faster than our local cable companies provide and much faster than DSL. When it came to my home I was excited.

My parents also live in a rural country and I am here visiting them. Just yesterday I tried it out and it was only 3G with two bars. I could barely watch a YouTube video at 240p.

Well, today I tried it out and full blown, full signal, 4G LTE you would not believe me if I told you the download Mb and the upload Mb. At my parents house I was stuck with slow 3mb down dsl which could barely do anything. It was through AT&T and it would barely play a YouTube video at 360p without freezing up. Now, that is over.

My point in all of this is two things. Apparently Verizon does care about area's that aren't just big cities. When I had AT&T 4G it only worked in big cities. Verizon seems to care that all of their service become 4G.

I will give a tip to anyone who is embarking on this. The antenna that you can buy from Verizon for 30 bucks that hooks into your mifi device is the best antenna I've used to date.

I've used the very expensive outside antenna's, they did not help my signal, back when I didn't have much of a signal. I spent over 300 dollars on a system people on here say turns up the gain and helps it out greatly. To no avail. BUT this 30 dollar antenna brings my bars, from 1 or 2 bars to a full signal now.

It does have to be hooked to something metal. I have it on a metal post inside on a treadmill.

It says it does not need to be connected like that, although it has a magnetic and they claim this is for putting it on a car. Trust me, if you don't put it on something metal, you will not get anywhere near the signal you will when you put it on something metal.

TRY THIS ANTENNA before you go out and spend a lot of money on the expensive one's that claim they work.

The only issue now is the price. I have the 20GB plan, as I do travel a lot, I'm at my parents a lot. And at home I have hughesnet Gen 4, which gives me 15mb down and works great, but not as well as Verizon.

20GB is fine surfing the web and watching video's. But I own a business. I upload a lot to dropbox. It's hard owning a business that is out in the middle of nowhere, my clients expect me to upload their huge files and put it on Dropbox for them.

I have 20Gb with Verizon, 20Gb with hughesnet, and 20GB during bonus hours on Hughesnet Gen 4. I also have DSL at my parents which has practically no upload speed and about 2 1/2 Mb down.

There has been a lot of talk about how Hughesnet Gen 4 sucks. For me, in my area, I must be right over a good beam of the satellite. Because mine never cuts out, never slows down, and there is never an issue. I am using a Macbook, ipad, iphone, and Samsung Chromebook though instead of Windows.

I just wanted to drop by and say hey, it's been a long time and hopefully that will help someone. If they don't have 4G in your area, check every single day. They didn't have it at my parents house and within 24 hours they not only had it, they had it at full signal.

The same at my house, they did not have it, and within a few days I had it, just by simply plugging up my mifi hotspot and seeing if they had it.

Verizon seems to be really putting 4G in every area 3G was. If you had any idea how far in the middle of nowhere I am, you'd be shocked that I have a connection as if I was in the city.

The upload speeds are so fast on Verizon, I can upload huge files in what seems like no time.

The problem is the expense. I pay an apartment bill just for the internet because of where I live. But at least I can take it anywhere I go. I own my own home, so I have no rent to pay.

Good for you Verizon. I am impressed. I figured they'd focus on the big cities and forget about us living in rural towns hours away from cities.

No other carrier is doing that.

So, that's my rant. And please before you try out these fancy antenna's, try out the 30 dollar antenna that Verizon sells. I fell for it too, and sold my expensive antenna's on ebay, as they only helped the gain a small bit.