HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

1 edit

HarryH3 to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94

Re: Build for overseas family

If you aren't familiar with VNC, then go with TeamViewer. It's free for personal use and makes remote access extremely easy. You don't have to mess around with opening ports in routers, it just works. You can download it from »www.teamviewer.com During install, select the option to "Make this computer available for remote access".

The interwebs have rendered encyclopedia programs superfluous. Check out:

»www.britannica.com/
»www.encyclopedia.com/
»www.worldbook.com/
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
»www.reference.com/
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Also depending on what data you need:
CIA World Factbook »www.cia.gov/library/publ ··· actbook/

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to HarryH3

Premium Member

to HarryH3
Thank you!

Now one other thing:

I've got 2 120mm fans in the ceiling, 1 in the side window, 1 in the rear, 1 in front of the HDs. They are loud. Now, it gets into the 100's there during the day. On rainy days it cools off a little. So I did need the fans as they have no AC. But I am wondring if any of you have a 5 or 6 fan speed controller for 5.25" bay to sell or if there is a dependable cheap one you can recommend.

The system is really loud (the fans I could afford are some plain Jane Rosewill RFA-120-K Fans.

Secondly, I want to get a cheap LED light strip, a small efficient one, to put in the case. I know it sounds silly, but this is a big deal gift and my 15 year old's pride and joy. I want some cool factor, and lights are cheap. Any recommends?
signmeuptoo94

1 edit

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ok, see a controller that might work as it wouldn't increase the box size of the case (it has to fit in the shipping box):

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 11992007

It's cheap, it's simple, it matches the case.

OTOH, this is still a budget build and there are other things I need to budget first (getting a pot and pan and stuff like that for them).

It's just that the thing is loud!
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

One thing you can try doing is undervolting the CPU and chipset. That should reduce heat by a decent amount, allowing the fans to run at a lower speed.