Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Fan and heatsink needed

I am in need of a decent fan and heatsink for an AMD FX 8120 processor. The stock one is loud and sucks at best.

Is there a decent one out there that will work for this processor that isn't so big and doesn't require me to take the motherboard out to install it? Looking at a lot of sites out there it seems that is all I can find are these monster sized fan and heatsinks.

Does one of these still exist these days?
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
I installed my Noctua on my AMD without removing the motherboard. The stock HSF sucked on mine too and I've been nothing but happy with the Noctua.

Cthen
Premium
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Thank you, I will take a look at that one.

Yeah even under load of a game like tf2 with the fan at full speed, the stock hsf sucks with the bios shutting the pc down. Right now I have a box fan blowing into the case to keep that from happening.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

evo7

join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Dissembled
If you're gonna spend that much for Noctua you might as well get a cheap closed loop cooler that will be quieter.

I was gonna go the aftermarket heatsink route on my FX 8320 but I found a great deal on a Antec Kuhler 620 for 42 bucks brand new.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to Cthen
Do you have an open space under the motherboard tray to access the back plate?

If you do you can go with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 on any version.
--
"I just wanted chili" - Krisnatharok

El Quintron
I dunno, lemme check my trollodex
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 recommendation

said by Jobbie:

Do you have an open space under the motherboard tray to access the back plate?

If you do you can go with the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 on any version.

I second this. Your case should allow you to remove the side panel that gives you access to the underside of the motherboard, allowing you to install the CM212.

It's relatively inexpensive at ~$39.95, and should provide enough cooling, unless you're trying to get serious overclocks out of it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
reply to Cthen
All heatsinks with a fan suck or blow..

When researching heatsinks I go to frostytech.com

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium
join:2004-07-08
united state
reply to Cthen
If you haven't bought yet, The Coolermaster Hyper T4 is a good cooler that doesn't require you to remove the motherboard or install a blackplate on AMD systems Intel has to install a backplate though. Installation is simple as latching a lever like on the Stock Cooler.

I just got on the other day, its way better then stock cooler and is pretty much whisper quiet even at full speed.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ··· 35103182

Just make sure it will fit your case and airflow if you decide to get it. I have mine fan facing down blowing out exhaust vent on top of case. I don't know how your case looks...however it is only 24.99 and i would say it only performs 3-5% worse then the Hyper 212 Evo for 15 dollars less makes it a good deal.
--
Tech Tips