spc
uniqs

potsman
@rcn.com

potsman to mtas

Anon

to mtas

Re: [Phone] ARRIS TM822G Earpiece Volume too Loud

Loop current is voltage to power phones and make it ring it has nothing to do with volume. U try a different phone?
mtas
join:2006-03-31
Boston, MA

2 edits

mtas

Responding to potsman: I have tried multiple phones. The same phones that were doing fine over a 1500 foot or so copper pair to the local telco. For my install, there's no reason for loop current to be boosted, though I agree that there isn't necessarily a causal relationship between elevated loop current and too-high earpiece volume. Here's an overall discussion of the topic:

»www.sandman.com/loopcur.html

Un-Boosting loop current alas seems unlikely to reduce earpiece volume. Some E-MTAs allow control over receive and transmit audio gain. If RCN were able and willing to adjust receive audio gain on the TM822G, that might help my situation. Otherwise, an in-line attenuator appears to be in my future.

As far as Pacomartin's insight regarding wideband audio, I wonder if that still comes into play when the other end of a call is POTS.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

I know that some phones have an icon if both people on the call have HD-audio, but I am unfamiliar with what happens in all possible combinations.

Generally HD audio is perceived as a good thing, as it helps distinguish between letters "s, z, and f", and aids in conference calls where different voices run together.

Normal complaints are that you pick up room noises that you weren't used to hearing. Also voices just sound "strange". I have felt that voices are more piercing.

Googling has produced no constructive insight to painful levels. But just based on what I know about auditory process, the frequencies above 3.4kHz are much more sensitive.
mtas
join:2006-03-31
Boston, MA

mtas

(cancelled by poster)