spc
uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry

Re: Paint sample from wall - help needed

Bumpy is possibly "knockout" texture, and not eggshell (which is a paint finish, like satin or gloss).

You can definitively scrape paint, you can try with a sharp blade like the exacto knife.

Home Depot is an option, I just don't think they let you borrow a big bunch of swatches.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Ta (thanks). Couple more probably "dumb" questions:
- Finish is that "bumpy" texture even on interior wall that I *think* is concrete. Could that still be eggshell finish?
-Most important (to my fingers): does paint scraping allow one to do a very small area for a sample? I'm over 60, and obviously not smart on things like this. Neighbors are weird and I think I probably have more knowledge. Anyway .. thanks.
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

Material used for surface has ne bearing on finish.

eggshell refers to a finish that has a slight sheen to it. Generally, paints come in 4 or 5 finishes.
Flat, satin, eggshell and gloss and high-gloss. Satin and eggshell are often interchangeable,. Any of those finishes can be applied to any surface although a high-gloss finish would not be optimum on textured walls. Also, the flatter the finish, the better it hides imperfections on the surface.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Thank you for the knowledge ! May I harp back on my interior LR wall that "sounds" like it's concrete (not drywall sound) .. it has that "bumpy" texture. So would that mean the previous owners used eggshell or maybe satin? I can't wrap my head around making a concrete wall have a bumpy finish. Yes, I'm clueless
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN

Premium Member

said by FureverFurry:

Thank you for the knowledge ! May I harp back on my interior LR wall that "sounds" like it's concrete (not drywall sound) .. it has that "bumpy" texture. So would that mean the previous owners used eggshell or maybe satin? I can't wrap my head around making a concrete wall have a bumpy finish. Yes, I'm clueless

Paint, unless specialty paint, has no texture. Finish refers to the level of glossiness. It's called eggshell because it's not quite flat, but not glossy either. If you look at an egg, it has just a hint of sheen to it. If you apply eggshell paint to a perfectly flat surface, it will remain perfectly flat.