All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

willytate
join:2013-08-24
Philadelphia, PA

willytate

[DSL] Activation Day! But haven't been able to connect yet...

Today is the activation day for my order. I've tried connecting with both a Westell 6110G and ActionTek GT704-WG to no avail. I even tried plugging in directing via the test jack on the Verizon Network Interface Device box on the back of my house.

Unfortunately, I don't have a land-line phone to test if the line is even live

Any other troubleshooting I can attempt?

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Re: [DSL] Activation Day! But haven't been able to connect yet..

Well, the first thing to check is whether the line is actually physically connected or not. When you've got the modem plugged in and turned on, what are the lights on the modem showing?

Note that your connection type is PPPoE, so you need to be connecting using your username and password (just plugging in the modem isn't enough).

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to willytate

Premium Member

to willytate
even though you have no voice service you can check if there is any juice through that line. plug any old touch tone push button phone into that line. since you have dry loop when you pick up the phone you should either get a fast busy or hear a recording your call cannot be completed as dialed. pressing buttons should make tone noises on the line. if the phone has lamps ib the buttons that are phone line powered they will light up. If you get nothing no touch tone sounds the line is not connected .

willytate
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

willytate to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
Nick,

Thanks for your hasty reply.

I have the PPPoE creds in there. Currently, I have the Westell 6110G connected, with a Belkin N600DB passing the PPPoE creds through.

Westell 6110G Lights:
- The DSL light on the Westell is blinking about once a second.
- Data line is flickering arbitrarily (I'm guessing just data between the modem and the router).
- Internet Light is off.
willytate

willytate to norbert26

to norbert26
Norbert,

Thank you for your assistance.

Unfortunately, I've never owned a land-line phone (crazy, I know). I thought I had an older PC sitting around with a 56k modem, thought I might be able to fire up and check for a dial-tone but I was mistaken.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

The line should be active by midnight tonight; it's possible the line hasn't been connected over on the central office/remote terminal side. The flashing DSL light indicates it does not have sync (is not physically connected at some point), rather than there being some sort of credential mismatch. Since you connected your modem directly to the phone box outside, that rules out inside wiring as being the culprit. I'm not in tomorrow, but if you're still having a flashing DSL light tomorrow morning, call in and let our tech support know (866-491-7221) so they can investigate for you.

willytate
Philadelphia, PA

willytate

I bought a cheap phone at Target to test the line, I'm gettin' nothing at all. Calling support. Thanks again.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

said by willytate:

I bought a cheap phone at Target to test the line, I'm gettin' nothing at all. Calling support. Thanks again.

Its not connected at the CO keep that cheap phone handy for future use should there ever be an outage you can check if the line is dead or if its a DSL outage / PPPoe log in issue. I always keep an old junky land line phone handy and have had to use it over the years for trouble shooting.

willytate
Philadelphia, PA

willytate

Issue Resolved!

It was on Verizon's end. They came out this morning and tagged the line. I must say, I'm very impressed with how well DSL Extreme handled the ticket.

I'd also like to thank nick and norbert here on the forums as well.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Glad you're up and running now; just sorry you were down for the weekend!

I don't expect any future trouble, but if anything comes up you're always welcome to post here (as you can see, many of our users are quite knowledgeable and helpful) or IM me or call in.

willytate
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

willytate

Was away for the day today, came home just now and DSL is down . It was working earlier today as of about 12pm EST Fortunately I can tether in the meantime. Is this a known issue or should I call into support again?

Didn't have a single problem all week until now, solid connection and great speed.

EDIT:
Tried cycling modem a few times, no luck.

UPDATE:
Called support, spoke with Maria. She ran a line test and wasn't getting any result, she escalated the issue for further investigation. I wouldn't be surprised if this was something on Verizon's end again. Once again, very pleased with DSLExtreme's technical support's speed and attentiveness.
willytate

willytate

All up and running! It was Verizon's issues again.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Oy! Not going to say anything so I don't jinx it haha.