uniqs
rjd107
join:2012-05-12
Darien, IL

1 edit

rjd107

[Install] House Rebuild, new service cable

Afternoon all,

A year ago, I had a house fire and we are finally almost ready to move in. IE a month we hope(3weeks, doubt it). Previously we had an aerial line that got cooked and melted. With the new build we are getting trenches dug for new utilities(gas, sewage, electrical). The builder said he would leave the trenches open to run other utilities underground. Will Comcast actually come out and drop the line in the trench or will they give me a massively hard time to do "BC its not there work"? Or can i go out and just buy the appropriate cable they will use and drop it, I'm doing this with both ATT Uverse(TV) and Comcast(Internet) and no i Don't want Comcast TV or uverse internet. I'm more than competent to run cable my self, do it for a living(4yrs of IT) but will they actually use the cable?

Thanks for any help,

Rim D.
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

Re: House Rebuild, new service cable

You should definitely NOT be installing any drop cables. I doubt either provider would be willing to use them.

You should install 2 conduits (1 for AT&T & 1 for Comcast). AT&T & Verizon both spec. minimum is 2" with 24" or 36" radius bends. I have never read any specs for Comcast drop conduits but we always just run 2" for them also. I have seen both AT&T and Verizon refuse to pull drops in smaller conduits.

You also need to provide pull ropes or Mule tape in the conduits.

When you order service AT&T and Comcast will install the appropriate cables in the conduits.

wa2ibm
Premium Member
join:2000-10-10
San Jose, CA

wa2ibm

Premium Member

said by saratoga66:

I have seen both AT&T and Verizon refuse to pull drops in smaller conduits.

I dunno. Back in the 90's I buried a couple of 1" flex conduits from the house to the curb. AT&T gladly pulled a 5-pair cable through it (later abandoning the original 2-pair cable).

When Comcast needed to replace my underground drop, they used the old cable to pull the new cable through the 3/4" flex conduit that the builders buried for them.

We also buried 1" conduit at my mom's place when the drops were relocated and AT&T pulled a 5-pair through that as well.
saratoga66
join:2002-08-22
Saratoga, CA

saratoga66

said by wa2ibm:

said by saratoga66:

I have seen both AT&T and Verizon refuse to pull drops in smaller conduits.

I dunno. Back in the 90's I buried a couple of 1" flex conduits from the house to the curb. AT&T gladly pulled a 5-pair cable through it (later abandoning the original 2-pair cable).

When Comcast needed to replace my underground drop, they used the old cable to pull the new cable through the 3/4" flex conduit that the builders buried for them.

We also buried 1" conduit at my mom's place when the drops were relocated and AT&T pulled a 5-pair through that as well.

It really depends on what the AT&T tech wants to do. If they are following the book they will not pull through anything less than 2". As I said I have seen both AT&T and Verizon refuse to use smaller conduits installed by homeowners or GC's.

I have been installing underground for Verizon, AT&T, Comcast and PG&E for almost 30 years so I follow their requirements.

When Comcast trenches and installs their own underground drops they usually install "Cable In Conduit". The conduit is usually 3/4" or 1".
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to rjd107

Premium Member

to rjd107
All areas handle this different. Since your builder mentioned letting the trench open it sounds like he is versed on your areas procedure. Never hurts to throw a 2 inch conduit in for future use no matter the procedure. Keep in mind that when comcast uses conduit they use cable conduit and cable con isnt the same as pvc conduit. You can get about the same thing in 1 inch cable con as you can get in 2 inch PVC conduit. 36 inch sweeps is kinda overkill when using 2 inch pvc and is a PIA to use even in a trench. If your using PVC any sweeps is fine but it must be sweeps.