spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

omegaforts

@telus.com

[DSL] DSL modem questions and switching from Cable to DSL yes/no

I need some help here as I am thinking of switching from my current ISP ( distributel ) to TSI the main reason why I want to switch is because I need better upload speeds for webcam 1080p over skype ( i want to be able to steam the best quality to my family) and also streaming video games on Twitch.Tv

Now I called TSI up and ask them about the modem apparently you cannot just get a modem any more. You can only buy the modem/router now they were not able to answer my question

for the Sagemcom F@ST 2864 i ask them if you can fully disable the router so i can use my own router without any restrictions and they were not able to answer me.

Now i was wondering if anybody could actually help me what that and also i keep reading that people are unlocking there modem but never got to why they are doing so. For my case would i need to unlock the modem if i want to fully disable the router in the modem?

now my second question is DSL for TSI is it the same as bell fibe? is the service good and will i get 80-90% of the time the speeds i want?

and my last question should i stick with Cable( and upgrade with distributel with there new 35/3) or switch to DSL? What i mainly want to be able to do is play games while my gf is on skype with her or my family without lagging while playing a game. as of right now when i turn on the webcam my upload speed is maxed and i get lag spikes while playing the game. Steaming on twitch.tv is not necessary but would love to do it from time to time but mainly those 2 things need to work 100% at the same time.

Hope somebody can help me with all my questions thank you and sorry for any mistakes english is not my first language.

DigitalRain

join:2013-03-16

Re: [DSL] DSL modem questions and switching from Cable to DSL ye

said by omegaforts :

I need some help here as I am thinking of switching from my current ISP ( distributel ) to TSI the main reason why I want to switch is because I need better upload speeds for webcam 1080p over skype ( i want to be able to steam the best quality to my family) and also streaming video games on Twitch.Tv

Now I called TSI up and ask them about the modem apparently you cannot just get a modem any more. You can only buy the modem/router now they were not able to answer my question

for the Sagemcom F@ST 2864 i ask them if you can fully disable the router so i can use my own router without any restrictions and they were not able to answer me.

Now i was wondering if anybody could actually help me what that and also i keep reading that people are unlocking there modem but never got to why they are doing so. For my case would i need to unlock the modem if i want to fully disable the router in the modem?

now my second question is DSL for TSI is it the same as bell fibe? is the service good and will i get 80-90% of the time the speeds i want?

and my last question should i stick with Cable( and upgrade with distributel with there new 35/3) or switch to DSL? What i mainly want to be able to do is play games while my gf is on skype with her or my family without lagging while playing a game. as of right now when i turn on the webcam my upload speed is maxed and i get lag spikes while playing the game. Steaming on twitch.tv is not necessary but would love to do it from time to time but mainly those 2 things need to work 100% at the same time.

Hope somebody can help me with all my questions thank you and sorry for any mistakes english is not my first language.

I'll have a gander at this.

1. »[DSL] Sagemcom F@ST 2864 bridge mode guide is a good place to start from. My experience with DSL has always been through the use of a cheap ADSL2 modem configured in bridge mode, so I'm the last guy you want to give you advice on VDSL and on mucking around with the Sagemcom.

2. All DSL runs through the incumbent provider's phone network, regardless of which ISP you go with. In most of ON and QC, this network belongs to Bell. The 7/1 package and higher all use Bell's FTTH infrastructure, while the 6 megabit packages uses legacy infrastructure. Bell markets it all as Fibe when selling their own service, but naturally it's what happens under the hood that matters. 80 - 90% of the rated speed is a good benchmark for DSL, given that the technology has some overhead associated with it. The 1 megabit up packages are all ADSL2 and will work with any ADSL modem. The 10 megabit packages require the Sagemcom because Bell has spent the past decades making lousy decisions about their infrastructure.

3. The relative merits of cable and DSL are situational, and you're going to have rely on fairly limited information to make such a decision. I live in a neighbourhood with a rock solid cable node, but I cannot get VDSL, which makes the choice clear for me. I also enjoy having a "dumb" modem, because it gives me a lot more control over my router and my home network, and cable is also nice that way, especially if you go TPIA and are willing to do your homework. I just want my ISP to feed me bandwidth and I like being in control of what happens to the bandwidth once it gets to my end without having to finagle with mediocre Bell equipment. Other places may have very good copper infrastructure, but may suffer from over-subscribed cable nodes bogging down performance, especially during peak hours.

Naturally, when using a video chat service such as Skype, you're going to have to deal with bottlenecks that are outside of your ISPs control, especially when using it for overseas communication. This is true of any Internet transmissions, but becomes particularly relevant when dealing with applications where latency and upload performance need to be good. Gaming, you have some leeway in that you'll generally be able to use a server close to you to limit bottlenecks and latency issues, but If you plan to use video chat and game at the same time, you will have to splurge on a high-end router (I'm very happy with my Asus RT-N66U, but it is a $150 investment) and an Internet package with high upload speeds, especially if you plan to rely heavily on wireless and want high video quality. Cheap routers aren't all able to dual band, and many have range issues and weird bugs and idiosyncracies when dealing with certain types of data, SIP packets being a quintessential example.

notfred

join:2012-09-15
reply to omegaforts
I've got the Sagemcom on the 25/10 VDSL. The Sagemcom will act as a router but it also does PPPoE passthrough so that you can use a router behind it. The problem is that the firmware is very slow and so the PPPoE pass through is in the 30-35Mb/s range, not a problem if you are on a 25/10 package like me but not good if you are on 50/10 or higher. The modem part also doesn't report VDSL line stats. This is why you see a lot of people unlocking their modem - they get the VDSL line stats and they can also hack it in to a proper bridge mode where (if your router supports putting a VLAN tag on the PPPoE packet) you can get the full speed in passthrough.

TekSavvy's 25/10 service is rock solid, I don't see any slowdowns and it is very reliable - look at all the threads and they are about cable issues (Rogers infrastructure) rather than DSL issues (Bell infrastructure). There is a small chance that your local area my be oversubscribed on DSL and then you and all the Bell customers can suffer slow downs. In that case you need to get enough people to complain about it and Bell will eventually upgrade it. Check with neighbours who have DSL to see if they see slowdowns in peak times.